Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 AM

32 posts, read 45,772 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can anyone please help me out? I'm moving from Wisconsin to Santa Ana.
If anyone can provide me the below information that would be really helpful.Thanks in advance.

1.How are the public schools in Santa Ana?

2.Are there train facilities?

3.How much would be the 2 bedroom apartment rent in Santa Ana?

4.Are there many companies in Santa Ana?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times
My parents moved from Wisconsin to Santa Ana, where they raised four children. Many parts of Santa Ana are safe today, but you have to know where they are. North of Santa Clara Street or even 17th Street are generally good.

Schools have been problematic since I was a student at Santa Ana public schools. There may be a couple of okay schools, but I would assume that most parents who can afford it now send their kids to private school.

Only by the prissy standards of Orange County is Santa Ana dangerous. It fits in well with the sprawling sea of concrete that is Southern California.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
There are some good parts of Santa Ana along the fringes especially west/southwest.

There is a metro link station on Santa Ana Blvd. just west of the 5. This will take you out of the city though. For transit within Santa Ana you'll be using the OCTA bus system which goes to a lot of places.

I went to a swanky club in downtown Santa Ana a few months ago for a visit. It was very nice around the courthouse down there but when we walked two blocks away it was a whole other world. It's a very Mexican-style city with street vendors, plazas, families in the parks. I like it but if I didn't speak Spanish I probably wouldn't feel too comfortable down there.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCentaurs08 View Post
1. Santa Ana is not the place you wanna raise your children it is not safe.

2. Yes there are trains.

3. Cheap

4. No not really its mostly independent and its a mexican city. its slightly better than south central so...

Do Not beleive Forbes Magazine about safety. Its a lie.

I just got back from Costa Mesa a neighboring city which is supposed to be Nice and I got sucker punched.
OP; there are lots of companies in Santa Ana and even more in neighboring Irvine.

You will be OK. Most people in Santa Ana aren't looking to beat you up. The edges of the city generally are nicer than the middle but there are numerous exceptions to that rule as well.

Best wishes to you.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Some parts of Santa Ana are not that great, and have moderate crime, but there are parts of Santa Ana that are pretty awesome and safe.

I would say stay north of 17th street, the area bordered by Grand/Fairhaven/Santa Clara is pretty safe. Also the area near SC Plaza has become a lot safer (MacArthur and Bear).

Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
We lived in an apartment north of 17th back in the late '90s. It was nice when we moved in, but turned ghetto after about a year. I drove by it a couple months ago and it looks nice again, and was renamed. But rent for a 2 bdr. is something like $1500 a month, so not exactly cheap.

Overall, that area was decent. You just have to look out for the dumpy apartment complexes that are overcrowded.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 PM

14 posts, read 28,274 times
Avoid Santa ana to live in. To the guy who says it's only bad by our prissy standards obviously has no clue how it is now. Yes there are nice areas but in general it's ghetto. There are so many nicer areas around. Honestly if you moved anywhere but north tustin or Santa and you would be doing better.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry1n View Post
Honestly if you moved anywhere but north tustin or Santa and you would be doing better.
Wait. What? North Tustin is bad?!?! I sure must have been in the wrong part because I've seen some pretty amazing homes in north tustin, especially near Tustin Ranch. Also, Floral Park in Santa Ana is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Orange County. Schools may not be great but some terrific houses.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
The OP meant south Tustin a cop was just shot there a couple of weeks ago, and the shooter fled to his apartment in south Tustin before capture.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Some of SA is bad. The stretch around 1st starting at Harbor down to almost the 55 up to 17th down to maybe McFadden is very Hispanic. But the whole town is fairly Hispanic. Its not dangerous in the sense you drive by there or step out of your car you're gonna get swarmed and assaulted shot robbed raped or killed. I've never had anything bad happen. Well once in a while I'm getting gas and a hooker asks me if I wanna show her a good time or some homeless guy asks me for some change. Other than that I go through there at 4:30-5:00 am and I never had issues. But then again fools and insomniacs are the only people up at that time.
Does SA have crime? Yes. Plenty of it. Is all of SA bad? No there are clean safe areas.

The public schools are dismal IMO.

Rent can be "cheap" in craphole apartments. Although it seems like the cost doesn't exactly measure up with conditions. 12-1500 seems to be going rate. For those prices I would look into Fountain Valley for a apartment. Lot safer, clean and way better schools

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-25-2014 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County