Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,425,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Mach50, I'm assuming you made the move with family, do they feel the same way about moving back or are they liking Denver more than you?
My wife is from Miami and my daughter was born in Mission Viejo... I think they want to live in SoCal more than I do lol. But we have no plans to move back yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 AM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
, can you tell me why it costs $390 to register a vehicle in CA but the same vehicle is only $80 in TX?
Can you tell us why Texas property taxes are the 3rd highest in the nation while California's are 33rd?

Dunno? Maybe because different places raise their revenues different ways? Huh.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,814,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's really only the winter weather that I don't care for in Denver, even though it's not consistently cold or snowy. Summer is very similar to central Orange County (warm afternoons, cool nights, reasonable humidity) and it's very pleasant to be outdoors. If I were somewhere like Dallas, I'd hate it!

Culture in Denver seems the same as OC to me. I don't regret moving here, and we have a nice house, great neighborhood and good schools. But I would move back to CA if given the opportunity.
For most of the people who have moved out of Cali, that seems to be the general opinion I am getting.

"We like where we're at now, but if circumstances conspired, we'd love to go back to Cali".

Nothing against Denver though, from everything I've heard, it's a great place to live with much lower COL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My wife is from Miami and my daughter was born in Mission Viejo... I think they want to live in SoCal more than I do lol. But we have no plans to move back yet.
Yeah I have a friend who took a job in Chicago. He "likes" it there, but he would move back if he could take his job with him. He's a programmer for a gambling company, so he thinks he can possibly ask to telecommute from California in a few years once he's a senior or principal.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Can you tell us why Texas property taxes are the 3rd highest in the nation while California's are 33rd?

Dunno? Maybe because different places raise their revenues different ways? Huh.
Exactly! I lived in TX for two (horible!) years. They get their money out of you, one way or the other. Speeding tickets and tolls are two very noticable ways I spent more. I swear you can't drive 5 miles in TX without going through a speed trap.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
For most of the people who have moved out of Cali, that seems to be the general opinion I am getting.

"We like where we're at now, but if circumstances conspired, we'd love to go back to Cali".

Nothing against Denver though, from everything I've heard, it's a great place to live with much lower COL.

Yeah I have a friend who took a job in Chicago. He "likes" it there, but he would move back if he could take his job with him. He's a programmer for a gambling company, so he thinks he can possibly ask to telecommute from California in a few years once he's a senior or principal.
COL is lower, but not that low. We could still sell our Denver house and buy a McMansion in Tulsa outright with our equity. But then we'd be in Tulsa

Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I said the same thing 3 years ago when we first moved to Denver . Now I (as do many others) realize that SoCal weather and culture is worth quite a bit. Come back to this thread in 3, tell us what you really think.

We've lived outside of Southern California before and know that we like places with actual weather. Not everyone enjoys perpetual heat and sunshine, thank you very much.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Hey, let's not bash on Tulsa. I heard the Tulsa State Fair broke the 1,000,000 visitor mark last year. Sounds like it's a place on the rise.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Thought this might be pertinent to the discussion.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time of the Month View Post
paying 1% of $1mm is far worse than paying 2% of $250k..
That depends on what you get for your money / investment. And what you want out of the lifestyle you pay for.

Quote:
it's not a matter of raising revenues in different ways, the fact remains ca is the highest taxed state in the nation. period..
It's easy to research these days before you post:
California is not the highest taxed state
http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...2014_Final.pdf
And if you're not very wealthy, and thus not in the upper brackets, California's progressive tax structure is one of the lower personal burdens in the nation.

Quote:
what's hilarious is that for all that tax $$$, it's perpetually broke. lol.
As for the state being broke:
Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—A resurgent stock market and a voter-approved tax increase has given California a windfall of several billion dollars, resulting in a rapid turnaround from the state's massive budget gaps of recent years. California Budget Increases Spending as State Enjoys a Surplus - WSJ.com
Quote:
For the first time in nearly a decade, California is collecting more revenue than it is spending and will finish the fiscal year with an extra $2.4 billion, according to a report released Wednesday by the Legislature's nonpartisan budget analyst. Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion - SFGate

Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Silly me. Should've known. The midnightcr*pper is back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County