Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I agree we all need to take risks in life. Educated risks. Life is too short to jump into something unprepared only to find out it was a huge waste of your time and money.

The OP is only one of many "19 yr old and female" posters that I've seen post on the California board all starry-eyed. I'm not sure what these young women are expecting from California? I am not anti-California and I think OC has a lot to offer, but I think moving ANYWHERE without it offering you something substantial (like a job offer, a school you're attending, a fiance who lives there), is short-sighted. Moving across the world based on a dream and only a dream is not taking an educated risk.

She has yet to outline the real cost-of-living, what it takes for a non-citizen to work here legally (and the consequence of being out of work), cultural differences, the logistics of living in a place with no good public transportation, or what kind of work she might qualify for if Plan A doesn't pan out.

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of 19-year-olds are not equipped for that kind of decision where they move to a different country, in an area with some of the highest cost of living in the world, and start a business with a work permit. With all due respect to the OP, I'm not seeing evidence of the kind of maturity and good sense necessary to be an exception to the rule. Maybe with a few more years of life experience and education under her belt.

How is it rude and unsupportive to suggest that the OP slow down and take things in smaller steps? Those of you who are being "supportive" are doing her the bigger disservice, I think, if she were to listen to you.

We're not talking about the reasonable risk of a freak accident - we're talking about someone walking into something unprepared and in all probability, with highly unrealistic expectations.

I totally hear what you are saying and I appreciate it. 19 years-old is indeed young, and especially "young" now that I'm 45 and have sons that are 23 and 21 - LOL! However, I do remember being 19 and full of hope and dreams; and I did move to S. CA (Orange County) at age 19. It really was a good experience. I do realize that everyone's comfort zone is different as far as taking risks. For me, I believe in taking risks, calculated risks, to be exact. I mean, I don't believe in doing absolutely crazy things, things that I know will render bad results, however, much of success is based on a certain amount of risk. At age 19, while it is young, it is also a time that one can make moves and decisions that one can't make later. I do understand what you are saying and I also understand what the original poster is saying. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 03:05 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
Quote:
I try to spend less than $9 for a haircut. The only difference between a $9 and a $29 haircut is $20.
While this made me laugh, I do have to disagree with Charles here.

If you're lucky,
the only difference is $20. If you're not lucky, the difference is OH SO MUCH MORE. If you are getting a typical "man cut" like yours, the risk of something horrible occuring is substantially lower.

$9 haircut places are like the proving grounds for stylists. There are some perfectly good stylists in those places. Those who establish a strong client base and a good reputation, can move up to nicer salons and demand a higher fee, because their talents are in demand. Those who are untalented in the profession or lack the personal skills or career sense to move up, will continue to stay at $9 haircut places.

Having been the victim of a terrible haircut, I only see someone who is recommended. Usually this is someone who is more $$. (Though not always).

Regardless, the OP would probably START at the $9 haircut place. You don't just fly onto the scene, 19 years old, fresh into the field, in a new area where you don't know anyone, and start charging top dollar for services. Like I said, I hope she's prepared to eat some ramen noodles for a while.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:07 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJanx View Post
thankyou so much for your lovely positive atittude! even if i dont make it there its not the end of the world =) i can only try and be positive about it and be confident in my ability and make the most of my skills and try hard =) thanks xxxxx

A good and positive attitude is a great way to start and will carry you far. Align that with smart moves and working smart and you will be fine! I wish you all the very, very best in the future whatever you decide to pursue, move, etc. I think that people are trying to warn you of the pitfalls in life and making such a long-distance move, but such is life; we are here to experience it and learn. Wishing you and yours happy holidays!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
While this made me laugh, I do have to disagree with Charles here.

If you're lucky,
the only difference is $20. If you're not lucky, the difference is OH SO MUCH MORE. If you are getting a typical "man cut" like yours, the risk of something horrible occuring is substantially lower.
It can't be that horrible. Besides, I've mastered the art of lowering my standards to the point that I am guaranteed to be happy the rest of my life.

Here are some of my most recent haircuts

http://www.gsp.ro/images/content/articles/2005/10/24465/0202-12660747040221a1395fd_450_433_.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 AM

10 posts, read 67,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It can't be that horrible. Besides, I've mastered the art of lowering my standards to the point that I am guaranteed to be happy the rest of my life.

Here are some of my most recent haircuts

http://www.gsp.ro/images/content/articles/2005/10/24465/0202-12660747040221a1395fd_450_433_.jpg (broken link)

hehe at ur msg! u just wanted 2 come and show off ur hair dint you lol =D bless lol x

Old 12-13-2007, 02:42 AM

10 posts, read 67,254 times
Quote:
I agree we all need to take risks in life. Educated risks. Life is too short to jump into something unprepared only to find out it was a huge waste of your time and money.

The OP is only one of many "19 yr old and female" posters that I've seen post on the California board all starry-eyed. I'm not sure what these young women are expecting from California? I am not anti-California and I think OC has a lot to offer, but I think moving ANYWHERE without it offering you something substantial (like a job offer, a school you're attending, a fiance who lives there), is short-sighted. Moving across the world based on a dream and only a dream is not taking an educated risk.

She has yet to outline the real cost-of-living, what it takes for a non-citizen to work here legally (and the consequence of being out of work), cultural differences, the logistics of living in a place with no good public transportation, or what kind of work she might qualify for if Plan A doesn't pan out.

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of 19-year-olds are not equipped for that kind of decision where they move to a different country, in an area with some of the highest cost of living in the world, and start a business with a work permit. With all due respect to the OP, I'm not seeing evidence of the kind of maturity and good sense necessary to be an exception to the rule. Maybe with a few more years of life experience and education under her belt.

How is it rude and unsupportive to suggest that the OP slow down and take things in smaller steps? Those of you who are being "supportive" are doing her the bigger disservice, I think, if she were to listen to you.

We're not talking about the reasonable risk of a freak accident - we're talking about someone walking into something unprepared and in all probability, with highly unrealistic expectations.

hi, im apologising for the way i spoke to you earlier, and after reading this, i know you arent just looking down at me etc like i thought you were. I just thought you were being bitchy just for the sake of it!
but anyway i do understand that there are alot of young people having high hopes etc and i have always believed that you should start working on the small whilest thinking big...and also if you dont know where you want to be, how can you get there??
so i thought maybe if i started to get an idea of where i want to be, i can take small steps on getting there. and also having good knowlege on how to do so.
i am a traveller, i love going to other countries, and ive always wanted to live in america since i can remember!
but i do realise that it probably is you know an unrealistic dream that many people have...at the moment!lol i do know that i cant start off here, i have to get more experience and qualifications before i begin to even try and live my dream. and i know it will take years and i'll have to work hard, at first i wanted to study in florida etc but i understand that to move countries its not all the bees and ease!
and maybe O.C isnt really the wisest choice haha to set my heart on at the moment,i should maybe look at the more cost effective areas to study in ,get a job etc first and to see the changes over in america, as i may not like it, i might love it, you never know? if i still want to be there when im 25-26 then i can do more research for O.C and go for it!
thanks for your advice, i really have taken it in and i do understand,im am going to florida next year to stay with my cousin and i defo will travel to O.C maybe the year after to see it properly for myself as i know it is a very beautiful place xxx

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
Best of luck to you, Jan. I think staying with family is a good idea so that you have a support system in place while you explore your surroundings and figure out a direction to go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County