Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What county feels MOST DANGEROUS from crime?
Orange County 2 5.56%
Los Angeles County 13 36.11%
San Diego County 0 0%
Riverside County 2 5.56%
San Bernardino County 19 52.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:55 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Please refrain from using your ethnicity/race as to implicate a lack of bias. We all know discrimination exists at various levels, and that most of humanity participates in it in one way or another.

Also, again you are correlating Hispanics/Mexicans with crime without any evidence outside your limited perception. Crime, for the most part, tends to be linked to socioeconomic standing, educational attainment and opportunities (or the lack thereof) for advancement. Even then we can't make sweeping statements like "poor uneducated people are more likely to be criminals", since there are too many exceptions. For example, one of the poorest regions of Mexico, which is the very indigenous Yucatan Peninsula, also has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, comparable to many highly developed regions like Canada. On the opposite end of the scale, we have Ciudad Juarez in northern Mexico which is closer to Afghanistan/Kabul in murders, especially femicide.

My point is that before you make correlations, at least attempt to make it based on data/facts, not your limited real world experience. You are Right, both Santa Ana and Anaheim have high crime compared to the rest of O.C., and both have high immigrant populations, especially large Hispanic ones. Nonetheless, we don't have enough information to conclude that one causes the other, or if there is rather some underlying issues that are at the root of the problem for both cities.

The world is too complex and layered for us as individuals to make sweeping assumptions/accusations about people or issues.
What about El Paso TX which is one of the safest large cities in the country and is over 90% Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Santa Ana is pretty unsafe but mainly due to the illegals who don't give a s**t on the roads rather than the crime rate.
To be fair, the drivers in South County are probably just as bad, but since it's less dense, master planned, and people rarely walk on the streets, you get less pedestrian deaths compared to North OC.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
I am not talking about before Disneyland, I said 25 year ago. Disneyland is 59 years old. Im not talking about the 1930s, I am talking about when my mom was a teenager back in the late 60s and into the 70s. Anaheim was a great city back then, Santa Ana was very nice too. We lived in Westminster off Trask and Beach behind the Highway 39 drive in when I was a kid, that was also a fairly nice area in the 70s and 80s. Like I said, anyone who has lived in the area for at least 25 years will tell you that Anaheim and Santa Ana have become dumps over the past 10-12 years as the illegals have taken over and trashed the neighborhoods and their gangbanger kids have made violent crime numbers skyrocket in what were once safe areas. Maybe it makes them feel like home in old Mexico. Either way, they have ruined what used to be two great cities.

I used to live in Anaheim off of Brookhurst and Crescent from 1983 to 1988. Sort of nice area back then.
Not now.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 PM

18 posts, read 21,071 times
I will speak for North Orange county since I have lived here for 15 years now.
It depends on where you live. I live in Anaheim and west of where I live is Anaheim Shores, pretty 'nice' homes. Another mile in the same direction and now you are in section of town I would not live in. This changes do not just change with the block, sometimes its the apartment complex. I have never owned a home here (which is why I am leaving). I live in a decent apartment complex with surveillance cameras. I once lived in a small complex in downtown Anaheim, I felt so unsafe I left. I would feel unsafe when I had to come home late at night. Some parts of downtown Anaheim are known to be gang infested. But you also have the fancy 1B lofts that go for 250 - 500K (intersection of Harbor and Lincoln) in the same down town.
If you are moving here, I would go to a nice gated community. But they can be a little pricey though.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msshelly11 View Post
I will speak for North Orange county since I have lived here for 15 years now.
It depends on where you live. I live in Anaheim and west of where I live is Anaheim Shores, pretty 'nice' homes. Another mile in the same direction and now you are in section of town I would not live in. This changes do not just change with the block, sometimes its the apartment complex. I have never owned a home here (which is why I am leaving). I live in a decent apartment complex with surveillance cameras. I once lived in a small complex in downtown Anaheim, I felt so unsafe I left. I would feel unsafe when I had to come home late at night. Some parts of downtown Anaheim are known to be gang infested. But you also have the fancy 1B lofts that go for 250 - 500K (intersection of Harbor and Lincoln) in the same down town.
If you are moving here, I would go to a nice gated community. But they can be a little pricey though.

The best place to live in Anaheim is of course......Anaheim Hills.

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2014, 12:41 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
What about El Paso TX which is one of the safest large cities in the country and is over 90% Hispanic.
Or Eastlake/Otay Lakes CA. Huge population of Middle/upper class Mexicans.

Obviously many of the people who post on here haven't traveled enough even in their own state to understand that populations are diverse.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Or Eastlake/Otay Lakes CA. Huge population of Middle/upper class Mexicans.

Obviously many of the people who post on here haven't traveled enough even in their own state to understand that populations are diverse.
Our niece lives in that area of Chula Vista. They are upper middle class Mexicans and live in a very nice area. They own several furniture stores in Southern California.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
A bit OT, but I think it bears repeating that relatively tiny Orange County is very overrepresented in the "50 Safest California Cities" list as compiled by SafeWise. I think the fact that OC has 9 of 50 cities listed is remarkable.

1. Saratoga
2. Rancho Santa Margarita
3. Los Altos
4. Aliso Viejo
5. Temple City
6. Laguna Niguel
7. Moorpark
8. Lincoln
9. Danville
10. San Ramon
11. Soledad
12. Cupertino
13. Calabasas
14. Agoura Hills
15. Lake Forest
16. Yorba Linda
17. Walnut
18. Mission Viejo
19. Foster City
20. Chino Hills
21. Rancho Palos Verdes
22. Goleta
23. Pacifica
24. Hercules
25. Simi Valley
26. San Juan Capistrano
27. San Clemente
28. Poway
29. Camarillo
30. Windsor
31. Diamond Bar
32. Sunnyvale
33. Thousand Oaks
34. Murrieta
35. Dublin
36. Irvine
37. Santa Clarita
38. San Gabriel
39. Lafayette
40. Benicia
41. Oakley
42. Corcoran
43. Petaluma
44. La Cañada Flintridge
45. Pleasanton
46. Belmont
47. La Mirada
48. Maywood
49. Eastvale
50. La Puente

Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Our niece lives in that area of Chula Vista. They are upper middle class Mexicans and live in a very nice area. They own several furniture stores in Southern California.
Most of my family from Tijuana have moved to that area and are homeowners there. My cousins are engineers, a psychologist, and a biochemist. Mexicans are diverse just like many other groups.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Speaking of rich Mexicans, I am not sure how many Americans realize just how many Mexican billionaires there are. Those uber rich Mexicans almost certainly prefer Paris over a upper middle class 'burb in metro LA anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County