Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 AM

471 posts, read 600,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Just cause there are more white people doesn't excuse racism. That's just straight up stupid. When I lived in Orlando, I lived in a small city about 10k in population. I didn't have to deal with racism like people do here.
Racism crosses all groups. Plenty of racism in the San Gabriel Valley. Most Chinese aren't begging for more Latinos in their neighborhood, let alone more African Americans. Most Korean and Chinese businesses celebrate diversity by doing what...hiring pretty much only Chinese and Koreans. Fill in any racial group and you'll see the same behavior. Only whites celebrate diversity by hiring people not of the same racial background.

A 98% Asian and 1% white, 0% Black 1% Latino neighborhood would be celebrated as "diverse"
A 98% White neighborhood would be sneered as "too white".

Latinos sure aren't thrilled to see a neighborhood turn Chinese. Blacks don't want to see the few black neighborhoods in LA turn Latino or Asian.

Problem with racism is that it is excused, downplayed for any other racial/ethnic group. Often ignored unless it is white vs everyone else.

There are white people who are racist, true, but for the most part, they are called on it by a large segment of the white population and by others. I don't see that same level of accountability held for other racial/ethnic groups.

False dichotomy and lack of accountability that allows certain groups to engage in truly racist behavior.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:17 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
And there is it ladies and gentlemen, the R word. We are supposed to shiver and stand at complete attention when the word is uttered. LISTEN HERE DUB, I LIVE HERE AND I AM NOT A RACIST SO STOP PAINTING A BROAD BRUSH. And why are you even bothering to pay attention to "ConqueringFool's" comment about "white middle class" culture when this is just another subtle flame from the latest alias created by someone we know wants desperately to return to California from the humid hole he finds himself in. The account was just created.

Oh and what is wrong with white middle class culture by the way?

And yes, you are sooo right, we know there is no racism in Florida -- none.

As for Orlando, a family member of mine returned from there having just sold a house near Cocoa. The comments I heard revolved around how shockingly regressive people are in Orlando and the surrounding areas as compared to California. Oh and I have been there too.

OP, you have been here in OC for two weeks. Why don't you spend some time in South OC and really get familiar with it before making such a pronouncement?
When you USE ALL CAPS, you lose credibility boyo. Racism is everywhere, no doubt about that. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. However, the total vibe of superiority I sense as a new resident is not welcoming.

Its like the surfer mentally is rampant throughout. You can't surf here cause you aren't a local. You have to prove yourself to be able to surf with surfers like that...I get that. But to live, no thanks.

People acting like N. OC is a warzone or something. Yes there are some "ghetto" spots but its definitely the minority of N. OC. When you get out of the "orange curtain" as someone referred to it as, you'll see a real ghetto. I've been in some shady shady areas in the world.

I was in Bangkok as the protests were happening in December. Get ready to hear about Thailand like you've been hearing about the middle east and Eastern Europe. But hey, I'm sure the super ghetto of N. OC can't compare.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Yes, South OC is a bubble. I've even heard native South OC'ers refer to Costa Mesa as ghetto. 'Nuff said. South OC is more of a self-absorbed culture with self-absorbed personalities, but they don't really hate other places. They just don't have a reason to go anywhere else unless there is a reason to drive or a flight is booked.

However, bubbles exist in various forms all over this world. And if you want to see a serious bubble, go to San Francisco. Talk about people who may have been traveled to 28 countries and did Peace Corps in their early 20s, yet can't even find Colma or Novato on a map and still view the rest of the Bay Area as being a bunch of de facto hillbillies.
Self absorbed culture indeed. But what is good for the goose is good for the gander, waves of the unwashed masses are on their way, they are hungry..

Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
I don't think that people in South OC live in a bubble at all--quite the contrary, actually.

IME, people in OC hail from all over the world. It's a very diverse place, esp. for a wealthy suburban area. Lots of people living in OC as well as other upscale suburban areas in SoCal, esp. over a certain age (50+), came from humble, modest beginnings and worked their tails off to get to where they are now.

Were lots of people in South OC born with a silver spoon? Of course--every wealthy area is going to have that element, and it'll be pervasive. However, after living in the area for several years, I can firmly assert that the majority of folks in South OC worked for what they have, and they worked hard. I dare say harder than people in many other areas because South OC is much more expensive than most other areas of the US. A comfortable middle-class life by American standards is much more expensive in South OC than virtually everywhere else.

Moreover, people in OC are very well-traveled. When I first moved to OC, I had never even been to HI, AK, AUS, and NZ among other places, and I felt very OOTL. Travel wasn't much of a priority in my 20's because it's less of a priority for East Coasters than West Coasters, esp. those from working-class backgrounds such as myself. Around the time I turned 30, I earned my master's degree and became more settled in my career and, in turn, financially, so my priorities changed to incorporate travel.

Also, you have to remember that OC is nearly 1,000 square miles. In terms of land area, it's almost as large as RI, the state in which I grew up. If you worked in Irvine or Lake Forest and live in, say, MV or RSM, is there really a need to leave other than travel, visiting family/friends in other areas, or a trip to Disneyland? South OC is already a pretty expansive area to begin with, IMO. FWIW, I lived, worked, and played in the same city in FL for years and rarely left unless work or travel took me otherwise. Of course, nice areas in FL are more like "islands," if you will, than cities in the OC, which is more uniformly nice and upscale overall.

If you wanna see people who live in a bubble and rarely ever leave, join me on my next trip back to RI to visit the fam.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:31 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
I come from the perspective of family that's involved with sports leagues. That means interaction with folks up and down the beach communities. I have perceived a bubble in lots of parents, from leeriness to rare derision towards people from outside identifiable confines. It's not necessarily hostile of course, just to me weird to see certain responses as though people from some parts are really so different. And of course it's not everyone. But I tend to gird myself dealing with a new South OC parent, not knowing the comfort level.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Honestly, North OC just seems like a concrete extension of LA County. Like if you're in Cypress, can you really tell that you're no longer in OC when you enter Cerritos? Or what about La Habra into La Mirada?

South OC is so much different than North OC, it's also the version that the media tends to cling onto. Much more green belt space, more parks, more master planned areas, and just cleaner overall. North OC is more gritty, more urban, crowded, etc.

That's not to say North OC is necessarily worse (or better), just that they are two different areas. Some people might prefer the grittier, older, more urban areas in North OC compared to burby and slow South OC
Actually, you can tell when you cross the county line if you know the area well enough and you're paying attention. Different governing bodies DO affect those pieces of land (and the inhabitants thereof) over which they govern (city gov't county gov't, etc.). City to city? Same thing.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:01 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Actually, you can tell when you cross the county line if you know the area well enough and you're paying attention.
I can buy that, but even you admit you have to know the "area well" and pay close attention. That to me says the average person couldn't really tell the difference.

Compare that to North OC and South OC. I had an old college room mate visit me from Norway. He landed at LAX, and I took him to a restaurant in Garden Grove. We spent time in Westminster too. We took the 405 south afterwards to get to South OC. He could instantly tell "something" was different and changed once we passed into Irvine and onto Dana Point, compared to all the cities we passed previously on the streets, and on the freeway right before Irvine. The difference between North OC and South OC is even apparent and obvious to outsiders. That's the difference.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

768 posts, read 718,180 times
When I lived in Seal Beach & my daughter was at that rebellious stage in her life. She "accused" me, our family & everyone else in town of "being in a bubble" as opposed to living in the real world. I told her she was absolutely right! And her dad & I had worked really hard to be in that bubble & that included her & her brothers. Lol! She never said a other word about it.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
When I lived in Seal Beach & my daughter was at that rebellious stage in her life. She "accused" me, our family & everyone else in town of "being in a bubble" as opposed to living in the real world. I told her she was absolutely right! And her dad & I had worked really hard to be in that bubble & that included her & her brothers. Lol! She never said a other word about it.
how dare you keep her safe lol...yeah i keep u in a bubble, do you wanna live in the ghetto in watts or laguna niguel?

Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
I meant 15 years instead of 15 days. Excuse me for the typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County