Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:12 PM
AWE AWE started this thread

4 posts, read 18,100 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to move back to So Cal. My family (including two kids; 3 and 5 ) live in Washington and my husband can relocate back to his job in Mission Viejo. But it looks like the only place to buy a home in our price range is the Murrieta area. So, getting to the point. How long is the commute / travel times using the Ortega hwy from Murrieta areas to Mission Viejo areas? I wish I could do the drive myself, but we can't get down there for a while. And curiosity is killing me! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
That's a long, slow, dangerous drive in the day time. Throw in traffic and darkness and its really no fun. I'd count on at least 90 minutes.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
What is your price range for a home? Perhaps you could afford it in this housing slump. In reference to Ortega. I consider it a big NO NO NO. It is an extremly dangerous and twisting road with cliffs off the edges. People fly through at 50mph through turns and die all the time. It is just too dangerous a commute and sort of like standing in front of a bullet in my opinion. Eventually the trigger will get pulled. At night, like Escape said, it is even worse. Expect deer and animals in the road that could cause an accident. In general it would just not be fun.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Thanks, for the info. I was hoping to get different news, though We just want to move back so badly. I don't know if that drive is worth it though. BUT, we are miserable here. We lived in OC and San Diego for 10 years and then finally convinced ourselves that a transfer to Seattle was in our best interest. It may have been financially, but in every other aspect our lives are completely foreign to us, even the kids! The dark days, wet cold weather (almost all year!), and the inability to get out and just walk has taken a toll on us! Anyways, I'm just venting I suppose we need to look around a bit more.

Any other ideas for places to live with in an hour or so commute to Mission Viejo? I may look into Oceanside, but we would only be able to afford an older condo there I think? I am even thinking about homeschooling my kids so that we can have more options in our search. I'm looking in the low $300 range. Is this unrealistic? Any ideas out there?? Thanks in advance

Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE View Post
I'm looking in the low $300 range. Is this unrealistic? Any ideas out there?? Thanks in advance
I think so. An hour's drive from MV won't take you far during anything close to rush hours. $300k is 1 bedroom condo-land around here if you're lucky.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
You can get an older house in Oceanside. Oceanside isn't as nice as Temecula/Murrieta area, but still is a nice place to live. The commute would be about 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes straight to Mission Viejo. Interstate 5 is usually free flowing going north in the morning and the traffic starts around Avery or Crown Valley Parkways in Mission Viejo. Going south, you wouldn't usually see traffic. Most of the traffic picks up speed after Alicia Parkway in Mission Viejo, slows down a little through San Clemente and then picks up again.

Oceanside has several homes you could afford. The schools are the biggest difference from Murrieta as they average performing. El Camino High for example is rated a 7/10 and Oceanside High a 6/10. Both schools are majority Hispanic also. For example there is a 4 bedroom, 3 bath home built in 1980, 1665 square feet: http://www.prudentialcal.com/Listing...ColorBar=false
This one is new and 1800 sq ft. http://www.prudentialcal.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Search=abaf5f56-e79f-4f77-9aec-2acd84192ea6&Listing=24896176&IRPAgentID=&Image=1& First=1&Last=10&pagesize=10&SearchType=city&Listin gDistrictTypeID=&FirstLetter=&Sort=6&Cookies=&UseC olorBar=false (broken link)

That is just a few examples of what you could get. I recommend trying out the Ortega commute and judging for yourself. Fly down here sometime and check the areas out. Doing that is a must!!! Good luck

Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,933 times
One of my wife's co-worker commute on the Ortega hwy. One day he did not reach home and the next day he did not came to work. He just disappeared for like 2 days. He was very lucky, though - some one happen to stop at the exact spot on the Ortega hwy where he drove his car off the road. His car was spotted about 100 feet down the side of road and he was saved. The police said this kind of thing is quite common on the Ortega hwy.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 PM

34 posts, read 201,684 times
Ortega hwy is just a nightmare. Motorists drive like crazy seemingly trying to test their limits on how reckless they can drive without getting seriously injured or killed. I would not recommend the commute.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 AM

Thanks for this info! I didn't think I could find something I'd like in Oceanside. But after the listings you referenced I looked all over the area and found a lot more options for us. I'm VERY excited now. We can now have a future plan and not feel that we are stuck here. Plus, we are lucky enough to be in a growing market, so hopefully by the time we sell our house, we will be able to afford $400 or more! I'm glad I found this forum, it's nice to get more incite. Especially on how bad and dangerous the Ortega hwy really is :0

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 101,176 times
The Ortega is undergoing some heavy construction right now in an effort to make it safer/better, we will see how it works I wont drive it at all now. I think you would be better off in Oceanside due to the fact that you have a better chance of gaining equity faster if and when things do take a turn for the better. Plus the climate is better and I5 is a better commute. I am not sure but if you can get close enough to Vista maybe your kids can get into a school there. I found your post interesting because we want to leave the MVJO area and go to Seattle, Hmmm makes me think or rethink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County