Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times

Advertisements

I'm not generalizing. I didn't say all people in Irvine are standoffish. Did I? I have plenty of friends and family that call Irvine home, and I wouldn't call a single one of them that. Cities tend to develop social norms, it doesn't mean that everyone in that city or town follows them or acts like the rest of the populace. There are certain 'vibes' that people get from places, like Long Beach being laid back, or some Southern places being 'warm'. I get a standoffish vibe from a lot of Irvine...but, again, I never claimed that all of the city or its residents are like that. That's the difference (whereas you just called all of North OC a place for illegals, strip malls, gangs and welfare families - [rolls eyes])
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Cities tend to develop social norms, it doesn't mean that everyone in that city or town follows them or acts like the rest of the populace. There are certain 'vibes' that people get from places, like Long Beach being laid back, or some Southern places being 'warm'. I get a standoffish vibe from a lot of Irvine
Ok, then you can't get mad at me when I get a ghetto vibe and call Santa Ana a dump filled with mostly illegals and gangbangers. That city due to all of its low income trashy neighborhoods, gangs, very high illegal population etc...has "developed a social norm" of feeling like the ghettos of Tijuana and thats the "vibe" most people get from that place...Arent generalizations fun?!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times
If you were to tell me that downtown Santa Ana has a Tijuana feel to it, I would most definitely agree (especially on 4th street), as my friends from Tijuana have told me it feels like Tijuana. Then again Downtown is also a very vibrant place, that attracts a lot of outsiders from all over O.C. and even L.A. on weekends thanks to breweries opening up, highly rated gastropubs like Chapter One and the Playground, the best EDM venue in Orange County (Yost), an incredibly fun art walk. So, heh, Little Tijuana is doing well for itself.... You can say all you want about it, but lots of educated people my age (late 20's to early 30's) of all ethnic backgrounds consider it a cool place to hang out and will disagree with you.

To say that the whole city is like Tijuana or ghetto or filled with illegal immigrants, that's the generalization and simply not true. Santa Ana is diverse in its neighborhoods and housing stock. Floral Park is not Downtown is not South Coast is not French Park. That's what you don't seem to get. Even when people point out all the various nice neighborhoods, your typical response is "Okay, fine, that one is nice, but the rest is still a hellhole." Haha. I'm not sure why you spent so much time hating on a place.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
To say that the whole city is like Tijuana or ghetto or filled with illegal immigrants, that's the generalization and simply not true.
So is your generalization that most people in Irvine are "standoffish"....Im all over Marketplace (off the 5 at Jamboree. On the border of Irvine and Tustin) in restaurants, Barnes and Noble, grocery stores in the Irvine area. Most everyone is very friendly, smile and say hello etc...Never happens when Im around here in Anaheim. Probably because no one speaks english here anymore, zing! haha

Last edited by dexter14; 06-24-2014 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
So is your generalization that most people in Irvine are "standoffish"....Im all over Marketplace (off the 5 at Jamboree. On the border of Irvine and Tustin) in restaurants, Barnes and Noble, grocery stores in the Irvine area. Most everyone is very friendly, smile and say hello etc...Never happens when Im around here in Anaheim. Probably because no one speaks english here anymore, zing! haha
Be from Huntington Beach after a children's club soccer game, after the Irvine team trashes their side of the field with litter and then has the nerve to blame the Huntington Beach Team for making the mess...

But to be fair we are talking about Irvine Soccer Parents... Not exactly a good way to judge the rest of the citizens of Irvine.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Hate to tell you but all the clothing items you posted are generally worn by douchebags (the only ones that call California "Cali")
LOL, "live and let live" on display here. You can walk down the street at night in West Hollywood naked and slapping your ass and that's OK. Don't dare say Cali

Yes, Californians purposefully sell offensive merchandise so they can later insult people when they actually wear an item. It's a trap.

The next time I'm visiting friends back in San Diego I'm going to tell them to stop calling Ocean Beach "O.B". Would you rather be called a city in Columbia or a tampon?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
LOL, "live and let live" on display here. You can walk down the street at night in West Hollywood naked and slapping your ass and that's OK. Don't dare say Cali

Yes, Californians purposefully sell offensive merchandise so they can later insult people when they actually wear an item. It's a trap.

The next time I'm visiting friends back in San Diego I'm going to tell them to stop calling Ocean Beach "O.B". Would you rather be called a city in Columbia or a tampon?
you're killin me!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM

147 posts, read 568,654 times
Sweet, you are somewhat of a pain.
I have never heard California called Cali

Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 PM

276 posts, read 747,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
might be an East Coast thing? I'm in NJ and I hear it and have heard it long as I can remember. Maybe its the # of syllables and its much easier to truncate than keep it intact?

When outside of NJ, I hear "Jersey" a lot. Or, mockingly, "Joisey." Does this offend me? It does. I can't explain why, but it is annoying to hear.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
Let me offer you a simple explanation. Possibly....just possibly it's something used in written form more often than in spoken form. If you tell me you've never read "Cali" I'll have to throw the BS flag. Let me give you a simple everyday example. I've never heard anyone SAY "lol". I sure see it written a lot. I also read Cali a heck of a lot more than I ever heard Cali. It is said at times, and is said by natives too. In the gazillion threads where the Cali police crawl out of the woodwork there have been times when natives chime in and say they use it too. Natives even sell hats, cups, shirts and so on with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County