Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 AM

366 posts, read 644,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Didn't realize that was an issue.. People not from
California usually refer to it as Cali.. Btw
We call it CALIFAS* ( Mejicanos) Blacks call it Killafornia, Whites call it Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,677 times
I was born and raised in California (70's) and although I don't really recall ever saying "Cali" other than singing LL Cool J's "Going back to Cali" haha! I do shorten California to Cali when texting or typing on threads like this. I don't find anything wrong or insulting by calling California Cali..hope you have much success in California and enjoy the gorgeous weather!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 PM

33 posts, read 90,222 times
Hi!

I'm just another native Californian who has used the word 'Cali' on numerous occasions and guess what? I know lots of other native Californian's who have also used the word.

Like Dancingbarefoot13 I can't say I've ever used the word when speaking, but I often use it when communicating via text, email, social media, and message boards.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Does it matter? Everyone I've known has referred to it as Cali.. so I'm going with it, sorry..
LOL! First world problems eh?

Anyway, Irvine as you're finding out is very expensive. My husband works a tech job in Irvine, and I've always worked part time as a waitress. Right now, I'm not working... (me aging body needs some rest right now)

My kids are grown and hubby and I found a little diamond in the rough one bedroom in Mission Viejo 5 years ago bordering Lake Forest. We pay 1280 a month and that's cheap for the area! (We only had small rent increases luckily) I also believe it's HUD approved, so it's very working class, and lots of Spanish speaking folks. Kinda run down, but it works for us, we're living "large" on his 80k a year, because we live simply, and we're saving for retirement.

Without 2 professional incomes, it could be challenging living here in Orange County if you're new residents and didn't buy years ago... especially if raising kids.

One thing to consider in California though is that people can enjoy the outdoors year round. You don't need a big basement with the pool table and other recreations because you're inside for most of the winter or summer.
There are many parks and the beaches that serve as your backyard.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,678 times
Man, if you're going to say all that you better cite some links for all these numbers and generalizing statements as 'facts'.
Being a native Floridian... I'm willing to bet FL is one of the "stickiest" states in the hemisphere - humidity!!!

Florida actually does have a few solid unifying cultures, I would say 3 to be precise: 1) Beach life 2) Geriatric Life 3) Drug life (also a Cali culture ...yes I called it Cali, because at this point in the thread it's just necessary for kicks and giggles )

I had a close relative who lived in CA for quite a few years and how he described the SoCal culture was everybody is materialistic and superficial/obsessed with Botox and plastic surg....so go ahead and be proud of those 'unifying cultures' . He also said many from CA wanted to visit/move to FL.

Lastly, the whole bachelors degree stats thing is a farce...for one, that doesn't make anyone a "higher caliber" or any smarter these days. It just says you or your parents paid a lot of money, you probably partied and did some school work...or just cheated your way through and now you're in debt $10-110k. You 'may' only be a "higher caliber" depending upon what you actually put back into your community/economy once it's said and done. Two, If your numbers are even factual, it may be likely due to FL being a retiree state vs. CA currently nurturing the start-up/tech culture. People are just migrating to each state for different purposes.

That being said, CA is beautiful (visited 2-3x now) and I would move there in a heart beat if cost of living didn't seem to be such an obstacle Personally I don't care about state cultures or whatever you wana say...we're all Americans..I'm just in love with those beautiful CA mountains and gorgeous SoCal coasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

One of the biggest differences between California and Florida is that California is home to many more natives--and dyed-in-the-wool natives, I might add--than Florida. Furthermore, California is the "stickiest" state in the entire country, as over 70% of the people born in California are still living in the state (despite what conservative political commentaries will have you know otherwise), so it's no wonder that California has a much stronger, more identifiable state culture (with numerous local spin-offs) than Florida, which is largely devoid of a unifying state culture.

hat's why California transplants are more vested and involved in their communities than Florida transplants, not to mention California transplants are usually of higher caliber to begin with (e.g., 51-53% of domestic migrants to California have at least a bachelor's degree whereas only 31-33% of domestic migrants to Florida have at least a bachelor's degree).

Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 AM

174 posts, read 255,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sweet Bottoms, I know you're not a native Floridian, and the problem with FL (besides the humidity) is the attitude of the transplants who move there and turn it into NJ of the south. You were told by a few posters on here that the term "Cali" bothers native and long term CA residents. Try using it in CA in person and see what kind of response you get. You better learn "that when in Rome, do as the Romans do".
100% in agreement, and make note Sweet Bottoms is not Native Floridian so you can have her on a platter for all we care.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 AM

174 posts, read 255,148 times
Quote:
Florida is better fit for you. I have seen some of your posts and you have typical obnoxious FL transplant "all about me, -I will do whatever I want" attitude, that my fly there, but doesn't in other parts of the country. The reason FL is so rude (and it gets worse the further into FL you go) and has no southern hospitality is because it's been over-run with rude transplants who never tried to fit in with their surroundings, and turned FL into the NJ of the south. It's the norm there to be rude and obnoxious, with the possible exclusion of the panhandle part of the state which still has a southern feel. You see when you move to other parts of the country (unlike FL) it's best to make an effort to try and as I said earlier "when in Rome do as the Romans do".
Once again Sea in Dublin gives up some hard fetched honesty. I approve this message.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:32 PM

28 posts, read 57,198 times
Quite ridiculous to be giving the OP such a hard time re her Cali comments.

On to your question. It sounds like you are willing to consider other areas besides Irvine. May I suggest Logan Heights. It is a lovely little community just down south from OC in San Diego, Cali Low home prices, cultural diversity, close to downtown and Padre Stadium (if you like baseball). It is very close to San Diego Bay and just a bridge crossing away from world famous Coronado. San Diego bills itself as having the "Finest Weather on Earth".

Old 12-24-2015, 03:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
From you other posts, FL is a better fit for you. Your attitude won't fly out in CA.

And yes it does matter. Know you're not a native Floridian, and the problem with FL(besides the humidity) is the attitude of the transplants who move there and turn it into NJ of the south.

You were told by a few posters on here that the term "Cali" bothers native and long term CA residents.

Try using it in CA in person and see what kind of response you get.

You better learn "that when in Rome, do as the Romans do".
You should have followed your own advice while living in FL

Old 12-25-2015, 11:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle View Post
Hi!

I'm just another native Californian who has used the word 'Cali' on numerous occasions and guess what? I know lots of other native Californian's who have also used the word.

Like Dancingbarefoot13 I can't say I've ever used the word when speaking, but I often use it when communicating via text, email, social media, and message boards.
Native Californian who never used or uses "Cali" as we grew up with "Cal" ot "SoCal" if we wanted to be more specific. You know like "Cal" State Fullerton, etc.

I think "Cali" came into use not that long ago. Still makes me think of some where outside the US though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County