Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

Hey OP, I suggest going on the campus of Univ. of Calif, Irvine (UCI) as a way to meet ppl, there is always so much going on there. I have read your other posts...did you find a temp place to live before your family comes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Hey OP, I suggest going on the campus of Univ. of Calif, Irvine (UCI) as a way to meet ppl, there is always so much going on there. I have read your other posts...did you find a temp place to live before your family comes?
A good suggestion.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
meetup.com is the best way to meet people in most areas I've found, OC has some great hiking meetups that are well organized and friendly...and very large, new people joining all the time.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
No -- it's not an assumption at all. About 10-15 years ago, a polling outfit took a poll of church attendees re why they went to church. The No. 1 reason was: to have someone with me when I die. The second reason was: to make friends/have a community. I forget what No. 3 was. The FOURTH ONE was: to worship and to learn about God. I can't remember the name of the polling outfit -- I've tried to find it over the past few years because another pastor wanted to look at it, and I haven't been able to locate it. But I well remember my pastor and the church board (which I was on) sitting around our table, talking about this. And the consensus was this: at least people were going to church and they had to be learning something about 'God'. The reasons why they were going to church was not our concern.

You're right -- I'm not a believer and haven't been most of my life. I've also never pretended that I was; I have been very upfront about it. And I've never been shunned by a congregation. I do think/believe that someone/something/whatever 'created' The Universe. But whoever/whatever is it -- so far it's WAY beyond our knowledge and comprehension. However, I don't ridicule nor try to 'convert' those who do believe. We're all just "limping out way to The Light".
Fran66 and OP,

You will and should be welcome in most churches. Please, please do yourself a big favor and take whatever you hear on CD with a *Huge* grain of salt. Many times ppl come here with an ax to grind which reflects more on their own personal frustrations, issues, insecurities, fears, etc... than you.

As long as you are honest with yourself and other folks that's all that matters. Never will a priest or pastor tell you go away or come back when you a believer. That's complete and utter non-sense and not even biblical. Otherwise no one would ever go to church to begin with and potentially grow in their knowledge of God. Ppl go to potentially learn something and get to know others. Sometimes there is more emphasis on one than the other. Everyone is at a different place in their life journey. While I know where some well meaning Christians are coming here there is room for all in God's house including non-believers. Honesty with God, oneself and others wherever you are along that journey is what is important. There is nothing wrong with that at all. As a believer I would be happy to befriend you and the OP and introduce you to my family. I applaud you for wanting to get to know others even if you do not always view things in the same way. Jesus was a friend of sinners (which we all are, BTW), tax collectors and the friendless. We should all learn from his example even in our feeble nature.

BTW, frustrated believer friends I do not know your circumstances or want to debate why you think this way. It's your choice to do so. Just don't close your heart to anyone who is not like you. You might be surprised by what you will find.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Fran66 and OP,

You will and should be welcome in most churches. Please, please do yourself a big favor and take whatever you hear on CD with a *Huge* grain of salt. Many times ppl come here with an ax to grind which reflects more on their own personal frustrations, issues, insecurities, fears, etc... than you.

As long as you are honest with yourself and other folks that's all that matters. Never will a priest or pastor tell you go away or come back when you a believer. That's complete and utter non-sense and not even biblical. Otherwise no one would ever go to church to begin with and potentially grow in their knowledge of God. Ppl go to potentially learn something and get to know others. Sometimes there is more emphasis on one than the other. Everyone is at a different place in their life journey. While I know where some well meaning Christians are coming here there is room for all in God's house including non-believers. Honesty with God, oneself and others wherever you are along that journey is what is important. There is nothing wrong with that at all. As a believer I would be happy to befriend you and the OP and introduce you to my family. I applaud you for wanting to get to know others even if you do not always view things in the same way. Jesus was a friend of sinners (which we all are, BTW), tax collectors and the friendless. We should all learn from his example even in our feeble nature.

BTW, frustrated believer friends I do not know your circumstances or want to debate why you think this way. It's your choice to do so. Just don't close your heart to anyone who is not like you. You might be surprised by what you will find.

Derek
Wow, talk about stealing a thread!

Old 07-09-2014, 04:44 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
If this thread was stolen, it started with rgb123.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 AM

Default No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If this thread was stolen, it started with rgb123.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:49 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Some things just need to be said, especially when directed at the OP regarding getting to know ppl is his new community including visiting some local churches. Many members of those churches started in the same way.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County