Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times

Advertisements

I live in Tustin, and it's very nice but even I'd pick Laguna Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 PM

87 posts, read 133,266 times
what about the kids in HS, are they snobby rich kids with copious amounts of weed and drugs on hand? or are they no worse than any other OC school?

I remember playing them in sports growing up many years ago, and they all seemed like stuck up brats, but I was on the opposing team so..,

Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
what about the kids in HS, are they snobby rich kids with copious amounts of weed and drugs on hand? or are they no worse than any other OC school?

I remember playing them in sports growing up many years ago, and they all seemed like stuck up brats, but I was on the opposing team so..,
No worse than any other school now. Back in the 80's and early nineties was a different story, all the best drugs at LBHS... In PE class I remember everyone used to hot box the boys bathroom with mad joints before exercises. Good weed too not stress.. The schools complexion and demographics has changed now with a lot more poorer mexican kids, these are the future 'help' of the rich old white people and their offspring who live in the 'private' communities, Emerald, Three Arch, Montage, The middle class has been shrinking for a while now.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 PM

87 posts, read 133,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
No worse than any other school now. Back in the 80's and early nineties was a different story, all the best drugs at LBHS... In PE class I remember everyone used to hot box the boys bathroom with mad joints before exercises. Good weed too not stress.. The schools complexion and demographics has changed now with a lot more poorer mexican kids, these are the future 'help' of the rich old white people and their offspring who live in the 'private' communities, Emerald, Three Arch, Montage, The middle class has been shrinking for a while now.
lol matzo! the schools demographics say it's 98% white. you mean there's a ton of kids from all the maids servicing laguna's elderly? I cant tell if you're serious

Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
lol matzo! the schools demographics say it's 98% white. you mean there's a ton of kids from all the maids servicing laguna's elderly? I cant tell if you're serious
83% white 9.2 hispanic 1.6 black 2.9 asian these are recent statistics from wiki for Laguna Beach High School.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's Orange County. Not Florida.

The Asians are not going to make your kids feel like outcasts. The Asian kids are playing with (and later dating and marrying) the Mexicans and the Persians and the Caucasians and the African-Americans and.... hopefully you get the idea. Did you by any chance go to a mall while you were there and notice all the mixed kids? THEIR parents grew up in Irvine. And Laguna Beach. And Tustin. Hint, hint.

On your next "drive by" get out of the car and walk around South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island. Then go to a supermarket in the neighborhoods you're looking at. Those are the people who will be your neighbors. The Asian girls holding hands with the blonde surfers are your typical OC teenagers. Yes, that homeless guy in front of Ralphs lives in a community with million-dollar homes. He likes living at the beach. I urge you to get a feel for OC so the culture shock doesn't do you in during your first two weeks of residency in... wherever. BTW: The Cambodians selling you your morning donuts were refugees, own three rental homes in good neighborhoods, have two kids who aced the ACT's and a grandson with blue eyes. Gosh, I love Orange County.
Totally agree with this comment. It really shouldn't be much of a concern. I didn't grow up in Irvine, but in north county, where my classmates were mostly Asian (80%), and I never felt out-casted or left out in any way as one of the few Latino/Mexican kids. I do agree with you on the competitive nature of schools like University in Irvine, Oxford in Cypress and Walnut in Cerritos.

I remember watching kids have breakdowns after receiving a B! (Can't deny I had my own breakdowns...but also part of being a teenager?) It was a bit too much. In one way, it forces you to excel to be on the same level as your peers, in another way you can easily feel like a loser when you aren't that perfect student (you know, the one that has a 4.0, president of an organization or two, part of a sports program and still managing to do volunteer work on the weekends). Not all schools have this environment though, and some schools have it even when the demographics don't lean heavily Asian.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 AM

384 posts, read 734,385 times
Tustin is boring. I would live in laguna beach.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,378 times
good luck trying to get in/out of laguna beach easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County