Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM

136 posts, read 491,627 times

Advertisements

Garden Grove. Westminster.

In your opinion, how would you rate these cities in terms of:

1. Livability
2. Schools

Some comments:

I love having Asian and other ethnic eateries nearby- these cities are obviously good for that given their large Korean and Vietnamese communities.

I've heard some comments made in passing about the 'pressure cooker' academic environment in schools in areas of the OC with large Asian populations - these household emphasize education strongly, bumping up the academic competitiveness.

But my GF (soon wife) totally doesn't mind the sizable Asian populations in Orange County (Irvine too, except we're probably priced out of that city ), in fact she's all for it. Her argument is that their focus on education only brings the school districts' performace up, and I think there's some truth to that. It's generally a good thing to immerse your child in a scholastic environment that has a relatively high base-level of academic achievement, and that sure as hell beats sending your kid into a severely underperforming public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Poor on both. Pretty much nothing but low income apartments, old tract housing and dingy strip malls with more signs in Vietnamese than English. Great if you like Viet coffee houses though!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks mbell75. Any more opinions on these areas, fellow CD members? I'd like a larger sample of opinions to draw from.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
There are lots of great restaurants, cafes etc (foodies dream really), but from what I remember that area isn't exactly known for their stellar schools. I think you might be stereotyping and confusing Asian groups. It is East Asians (Chinese and Koreans) and Indians that tend to excel academically due to their culture, this doesn't really extend to Southeast Asians (including Vietnamese.)

Also, the Koreatown in Garden Grove has a for a while no longer been the center of the Korean community in O.C., that center of gravity has switched to the border area of Fullerton and Buena Park, and it is within THOSE school districts where you will find some excellent schools (think Troy and Sunny Hills High Schools, as well as their feeder schools). Off of Beach Blvd, passing Artesia, is where you will find the highest concentration of Korean cafes, restaurants and markets in O.C...not to mention most Korean churches are also in North OC (Buena Park, Fullerton, La Palma).

Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Poor on both. Pretty much nothing but low income apartments, old tract housing and dingy strip malls with more signs in Vietnamese than English. Great if you like Viet coffee houses though!
I don't quite agree with mbell75, but, yeah, I wouldn't live in GG or Westminster. However, if you love Vietnamese food, you'll go back to GG and Westminster over and over again, because the food is AMAZING.

Oh, and ya gotta see The Vietnam War Memorial in Westminster! The sculptures are excellent!

And ya probably gotta go to one of the Vietnamese festivals at least once.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 PM

97 posts, read 162,564 times
If you want to live in GG, I would suggest West GG which is west of Knott Avenue. This area is not bad at all and I grew up around there. Pretty darn good school district too with Pacifica High. Great middle class neighborhoods and it's diverse but not overwhelmingly full of a particular group. Still close enough to go to Little Saigon for the Vietnamese food but you don't have to feel like you're living in the middle those stores or traffic if that's not your thing.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
The west side of Westminster and Garden Grove are surprisingly nice.

Westminster HS is in the Huntington Beach HS District, you could do an intra-district transfer to Marina or Ocean View.
Pacifica isn't too bad from what i've heard.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 PM

This is exactly the kind of intel I've been waiting for...! Thanks so much everyone. It's especially useful to know the schools by name, and to know which ones are good and which are bad.

So the consensus is that GG and Westminster aren't exactly dream locations. I get that, and we've been bracing ourselves for that inevitability since we're looking for a starter home.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 PM

117 posts, read 238,106 times
I feel your pain. I see in you myself five years ago having to make these same trade offs when I was looking to buy a place. It's amazing how much 200,000 make in the kind of house you can buy.

Last edited by jamsifoes; 07-21-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Thanks jamsifoes. Appreciate your empathy. Do you happen to have some more informatoin about Hawaiian Gardens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County