Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 20,646 times

Advertisements

Good evening!
My mom and I have been sharing room with another family, but we're intending to find a better room/apartment. The other family, however, does not own the house. They actually rent it through an agency. The head of the other family told me that I have to give them a notice to leave before 60 days, but I did some researches on the internet and found out that the notice can be 30 days ahead (according to this website California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs "The amount of your notice is at least as long as the number of days between rent payments"). When I asked her to give the landlord's and agent's numbers so that I could talk directly to them, she (the head of the other family) told me that the agency would only speak to her because she is in charge of the paperwork and stuff. She also told me that a few months ago, my mom signed a contract to stay until next summer (and the contract is kept by the agent, according to her). However, later on my mom told me that she had never signed any agreement like that. My mom and I are immigrants from another country, so we're not really familiar when it comes to things like this. Therefore, can anyone please give me advice and/or more information about the rules or laws that I should know in this situation? Should I trust any of her words anymore, and how can I find a way to leave this room? Thanks ahead for your time and have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Unless you signed a one year lease agreement and are still under that one year lease agreement contract (which means they can't give notice because they are bound by the contract) depending on your length of tenancy the notice to vacate are either going to be 30 day or 60 day. If you lived there over a 12 month period then they have to give you 60 day. If it's less than 12 months ( which means you're on a month to month rental agreement) then all they are bound yo give is 30 day notice. If there is no lease agreement and verbal agreement only that automatically places you on a month to month lease ( the notices may vary between states but in California that's the rule)

Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
It sounds like your roommate is taking advantage of you. If your mom signed something, ask her to give you a copy. She can get it from the agent, but I suspect in this case that there is no paperwork...or your poor mom was talked into signing something she didn't understand?

You are, as I understand it, a sub-let or sub-tenant. You are renting from the roommate and you probably didn't sign any rental agreement. What you agreed as far as living and sharing the house/room with the family is between you and the head of that family. You do not have any agreement with management. That rental/lease agreement was made between the roommate and the agent.

It's very common these days for families to rent/share a room with another family. It's not a lot of room for anyone, but you do what you have to do, right?

I think you technically could leave whenever you want, but to be fair, it is customary to give the person 30-days written notice.

They may want 60-days, because once you leave, they are responsible for the full amount of rent. If they can't cover the amount you're paying for that room you're currently renting, then well, too bad.

I hate it when people take advantage of other people because they are new to the country or are not familiar with things. Hope you can leave peacefully and that you can find a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: