Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times

Advertisements

Greetings all...

So, after lurking on this forum while my family and I contemplated a possible move from Denver to OC for a job transfer, I now find myself nervously anticipating an ACTUAL move to Laguna Niguel with my wife and 5 year old son.

As we prepare for title companies, home inspections, movers breaking our stuff, and the other craziness that's about to fill our lives, I figured I'd stop lurking and start actively picking the brains of those here who know way more than we do about the "little" things that are about to pop up...

So...relevant geographic details: The first week of November, we will close on our new house in Laguna Niguel, adjacent to Crown Valley Community park - close to Kite Hill - walking distance to the town center. Our major daily commute will be to Irvine, near the Spectrum.

Now then. I'm about to fire off a bunch of questions that are admittedly all over the map. Please feel free to answer one...some...none...or all...and DEFINITELY feel free to chime in if you think I'm missing something here!!!

- What high-speed internet service provider should we look at? I see that AT&T, TW Cable, and possibly several others have service in our area, but I have no idea whom to use.

- Do any of the internet providers have a working relationship with DirecTV (i.e. bundle discounts, etc...)? (Our TV service has to be DirecTV, because there's no way my wife will tolerate not having access to Broncos games, so NFL Sunday Ticket, here we come!!!)

- The house we're buying has a pool. Is there anything specific I should have the home inspector check regarding its equipment/function/installation/etc.? (In Colorado, we don't have pools - this will be a first for us...)

- Regarding pools, does anyone have a recommendation for a south OC pool service company? We may take the maintenance responsibility on ourselves in the future, but in the short run I'm not sure that makes sense, particularly since we're "pool newbies".

- Everyone in OC talks about termites, tenting, and exterminators. This will also be new for us, as the only bug issues we have in Colorado relate to summer invasions of ants and the occasional spider. What do I need to be aware of as far as this kind of thing goes? Do people have monthly service contracts with exterminators? If so, who are the ones we should be talking to?

- Immediately upon moving in, we will be remodeling the master bathroom in our house. Does anyone have recommendations for (1) a good designer that will help us realize our vision; and (2) a good contractor that would be willing to work with an experienced DIY couple that will take on pretty much all demo and some remo themselves.

- Speaking of renovations and termites – is the existence/prevalence of termites such that we can’t eventually install hardwood floors in our house? I know that when we were looking at houses, many had laminate “wood” flooring (yuck…) and if that’s the only alternative, I’ll reluctantly give up my wood floor dreams and move on to travertine, thank you very much.

- So…mirrored closet doors. NO-ONE has mirrored closet doors in any other place either of us have ever lived, visited, or read about…but in CA, they’re looked at as a valuable feature. What gives?

- Since it’s too late get our son into the Transitional Kindergarten program at Moulton Elementary, we are considering Childtime Learning Center – any opinions about this place, good or bad? Anyone have any other recommendations for structured Pre-K programs for high-achieving kids?

- Any opinions on the various youth hockey and lacrosse programs around the county? Our son plays both sports in Denver and we’d like to keep him busy with ‘em in OC as well.

And…well…there are literally dozens of other things running through my head now…but we’ll start with those, along with one other extremely important thing…in your opinion, what SHOULD we be asking here right now???

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts, opinions, and admonishments!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUPioneers View Post
Greetings all...

So, after lurking on this forum while my family and I contemplated a possible move from Denver to OC for a job transfer, I now find myself nervously anticipating an ACTUAL move to Laguna Niguel with my wife and 5 year old son.

As we prepare for title companies, home inspections, movers breaking our stuff, and the other craziness that's about to fill our lives, I figured I'd stop lurking and start actively picking the brains of those here who know way more than we do about the "little" things that are about to pop up...

So...relevant geographic details: The first week of November, we will close on our new house in Laguna Niguel, adjacent to Crown Valley Community park - close to Kite Hill - walking distance to the town center. Our major daily commute will be to Irvine, near the Spectrum.

Now then. I'm about to fire off a bunch of questions that are admittedly all over the map. Please feel free to answer one...some...none...or all...and DEFINITELY feel free to chime in if you think I'm missing something here!!!

- What high-speed internet service provider should we look at? I see that AT&T, TW Cable, and possibly several others have service in our area, but I have no idea whom to use.

- Do any of the internet providers have a working relationship with DirecTV (i.e. bundle discounts, etc...)? (Our TV service has to be DirecTV, because there's no way my wife will tolerate not having access to Broncos games, so NFL Sunday Ticket, here we come!!!)

- The house we're buying has a pool. Is there anything specific I should have the home inspector check regarding its equipment/function/installation/etc.? (In Colorado, we don't have pools - this will be a first for us...)

- Regarding pools, does anyone have a recommendation for a south OC pool service company? We may take the maintenance responsibility on ourselves in the future, but in the short run I'm not sure that makes sense, particularly since we're "pool newbies".

- Everyone in OC talks about termites, tenting, and exterminators. This will also be new for us, as the only bug issues we have in Colorado relate to summer invasions of ants and the occasional spider. What do I need to be aware of as far as this kind of thing goes? Do people have monthly service contracts with exterminators? If so, who are the ones we should be talking to?

- Immediately upon moving in, we will be remodeling the master bathroom in our house. Does anyone have recommendations for (1) a good designer that will help us realize our vision; and (2) a good contractor that would be willing to work with an experienced DIY couple that will take on pretty much all demo and some remo themselves.

- Speaking of renovations and termites – is the existence/prevalence of termites such that we can’t eventually install hardwood floors in our house? I know that when we were looking at houses, many had laminate “wood” flooring (yuck…) and if that’s the only alternative, I’ll reluctantly give up my wood floor dreams and move on to travertine, thank you very much.

- So…mirrored closet doors. NO-ONE has mirrored closet doors in any other place either of us have ever lived, visited, or read about…but in CA, they’re looked at as a valuable feature. What gives?

- Since it’s too late get our son into the Transitional Kindergarten program at Moulton Elementary, we are considering Childtime Learning Center – any opinions about this place, good or bad? Anyone have any other recommendations for structured Pre-K programs for high-achieving kids?

- Any opinions on the various youth hockey and lacrosse programs around the county? Our son plays both sports in Denver and we’d like to keep him busy with ‘em in OC as well.

And…well…there are literally dozens of other things running through my head now…but we’ll start with those, along with one other extremely important thing…in your opinion, what SHOULD we be asking here right now???

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts, opinions, and admonishments!!!
Now, there there, calm down.....have a seat, take a deep breath.....there ya go.....

I am just the calming agent; I will have to let the south county folks deals with specific questions regarding schools and such...

I am even now looking at my mirrored closet doors....not my choice since I am renting but far from uncommon here. Perhaps if someone is in the bathroom the doors could be used to complete one's grooming.

And people do hardwood here, termites or no.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Internet/cable providers areal about the same. Imo none are stellar. I have ATT and they are fine. Lots of billing issues. Always calling asking why the bill is different.

You can find a specific pool inspector/service company. They will know what to look for

Makes no difference termites or not. People install real hardwood all the time. Just so you know travertine is high maintenance

Unfortunately all the contractors I know only do large commercial. I do know a lot of single trade contractors that are honest and for good work. How much of a remodel are you looking at doing? A total tear out or flooring and paint baseboards and crown molding.

Mirrored wardrobe doors make the room look bigger. They are also not cheap in some sizes and edge cuts. Besides it saves you from buying a full length standalone mirror

Traffic and your commute to work. Learn all the side streets and go rounds. In the summer time PCH is a bumper to bumper. 133 can get really busy

Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
I was thinking Laguna Niguel was Cox Cable? If not then flip a coin. ATT U-verse & TW Cable are equally bad when it comes to customer service. ATT is bidding to buy Direct TV, who is losing money hand over fist because of that NFL package. The FCC is the only roadblock at this point.

Great lacrosse programs all over South County, hockey is somewhat more limited because of available ice rinks, but a lot of roller blade rinks around.

Termites are not that big of a deal and fewer and fewer people tent these days they are going to alternatives like freezing them and orange oil compounds.

You can install hardwood floors anytime you want, but my parents have laminate in the condo in Laguna Woods (since wood floors are banned) and it is very hard to tell it is not wood other than it doesn't creak at all.

For pool service, gardener, bedroom remodel, I'd just ask a neighbor after you've moved in.

I would assume you can still get into the program at Moulton Elementary, but..... high achieving program, hockey, lacrosse..... do relax a bit the kid is 5..... just playing on his own and with neighbor kids is fine too.

Mirrored doors help make rooms look bigger and they make them lighter and brighter.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Try the Aliso Viejo Ice Palace for hockey (All Age Groups:Tots-50+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP1R-zdPILU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFToDXDuHNM

Last edited by pacific2; 10-02-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Hi and welcome to Laguna Niguel, where I live. I'm writing this from Hawaii so I'll be brief...

Recommend getting Uverse ( Att/Direct TV) here, as it has Direct TV.

If you go to Leslie's pool supply inLN. Ask a mllion questions of them and you can also private message me later... I have a pool and it requires very little work as it self cleans. Only filters get cleaned periodically. Get a BaraCuda or similar cleaner and a testing kit from Home Depot. If you ABSOLUTELY need a pool guy who is inexpensive, there are some from Oceanside I know.

PM me for termite companies my neighbors used.

I like my mirrored doors since they were switched to oil rubbed bronze. I love them. They make rooms feel spacious and since most LN homes are not as large as Nellie Gail...

Laguna Niguel is a wonderful place to live. Enjoy.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
These are the most pointless, boring questions I've seen asked on this forum. I read them all waiting for even ONE interesting one to reply to (culture, politics, outdoor activities for adults, cuisine, night life) and I wasted several minutes of my life doing so. Boring people are boring.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
These are the most pointless, boring questions I've seen asked on this forum. I read them all waiting for even ONE interesting one to reply to (culture, politics, outdoor activities for adults, cuisine, night life) and I wasted several minutes of my life doing so. Boring people are boring.
Yawn, what did you say?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
We are boring because we answer the questions asked, don't ya know?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM

531 posts, read 758,590 times
Internet -> Cox/TW ATT/Verizon
ATT currently has $29/month any speed Ads on TV.

Not like beach areas, LN should be hot enough to have couple months of fun in the pool.
As to poolman, ask your neighbors.

Termites are everywhere which are part of life in wooden houses.
I choose to ignore them, unless you want to live in the same house forever.

Cal laws require houses to pass a lot of requirements, before they can be trransfered. Termite inspection is one of them.

"mirrored closet doors" forces you to keep your body in good shape????

Kicking ball footbal is more popular here.
My previous neighbors' kid was in hockey(cost them lots of money) and failed to secure a scholarship.(in occ now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County