Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,372,178 times

Advertisements

Have only been living in South OC for a couple of years now, and notice most Saturdays I-5 south going to San Diego is packed with traffic. This morning at 10:30am it was almost deadlocked. Where is everyone going? Is it people from L.A. going to San Diego for day trips? If so why do Los Angelenos love San Diego so much? Don't they have their own beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 11,436,224 times
I don't know where you got on the 5 this morning, but there was a bad accident last night in south OC (with fatalities) and you may have been still seeing residual traffic from that. The southbound 5 was completely jammed from at least the 133 back to Red Hill when we got on this morning at 9 am and it was because of the accident.

Otherwise, yes, people do go to San Diego for day trips (zoo, Sea World, etc.--not just the beach, in fact I would say it's not for the beach at all) and some also go to Mexico for the weekend...especially the Mexicans.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,458,325 times
The cause is over population

Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't know where you got on the 5 this morning, but there was a bad accident last night in south OC (with fatalities) and you may have been still seeing residual traffic from that. The southbound 5 was completely jammed from at least the 133 back to Red Hill when we got on this morning at 9 am and it was because of the accident.

Otherwise, yes, people do go to San Diego for day trips (zoo, Sea World, etc.--not just the beach, in fact I would say it's not for the beach at all) and some also go to Mexico for the weekend...especially the Mexicans.
Interesting points about Sea World, the Zoo and Mexico. As for the accident, I'm sure that played a factor but last weekend the traffic was nearly the same. It's not gridlocked for miles necessarily but from but from irvine to Solano there are consistent pockets of traffic anytime on a Saturday going both ways.

Do you know why there is always a traffic build up at the Avo Pico area in San Clemente on the 5 going north? I can't figure it out. The number of lanes stay the same, yes there is an exit and on ramp there but there are many others in San Clemente that don't have a build up right there. The road does go up hill in that area, I'm thinking trucks and small cars go slower up the hill and cause traffic?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:27 AM

93 posts, read 153,374 times
Only Saturday?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 PM

823 posts, read 1,769,798 times
No answer to your question, but I agree about the traffic there. It seems to always be busy with commuters during the week and then vacationers during the weekend? There are conventions, conferences, etc. that people attend on the weekend in SD also.

My family and I went to SD last month for Legoland, but the drive was great going there (we left around 10:30 am on a Thursday and took the 73, though) and not so bad coming home. The 5 south to SD was packed, though, from south OC to SD, but again, it was a weekend holiday.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:52 PM

117 posts, read 236,583 times
It's the Miramar Airshow last weekend.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:59 PM

I'm driving I-5 south right now in South Orange county trying to go to San Diego. The traffic is horrendous, we're hardly moving which is why I'm able to post this using my iPhone. I'm seriously thinking about canceling the trip and turning back around. We left Lake Forest at 11:30 and are just now passing through San Juan 30 minutes later!!

Old 03-28-2015, 03:48 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,049,643 times
The traffic north bound is often the same or worse. It is weekend traffic in a highly populated area.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the Cause of I-5 South Saturday Traffic?-traffic-all-over.jpg   What is the Cause of I-5 South Saturday Traffic?-traffic-now.jpg  

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 03-28-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 05:44 PM

@luvsouthoc there is some traffic going north but not much. Most people are going down to SD on Saturdays, not the other way around.

We cancelled the trip and turned around and came back home. After almost an hour of driving we were barely past San Clemente. We were going to go to the Foodie Fest in San Diego. Maybe next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County