Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Advertisements

I have recently changed my diet radically to lacto-ovo vegetarian; however, I can eat some white chicken and white fish on occasion. I know a few vegetarian (and one vegan) restaurants and am looking for more. Can anyone recommend the best vegetarian restaurants in this area?

I am also interested in restaurants that specialize in cod, white sea bass or even ono (wahoo)? Can anyone recommend the best (and hopefully somewhat reasonably priced) restaurants in this area that serve these white fish?

I am also interested in any establishments that use unenriched (and unbleached/unbromated) flour. Does anyone know if any establishments in this area other than Whole Foods that use only such products?

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-09-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am also interested in any establishments that do use unenriched (and unbleached/unbromated) flour. Does anyone know if any establishments in this area other than Whole Foods that use only such products?
Welcome to the (almost) veggie corner of at least no red meat!

I can't be of much help in terms of recommending the best restaurants in this area for vegetarian and seafood dishes, but have you tried Mother's Market & Kitchen for an occasional lunchtime meal? They don't offer much variety, but it's a good place to go for a deli treat.

I take it you have already tried the vegetarian fare at Native Foods and are ready to move on?

Old 10-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Welcome to the (almost) veggie corner of at least no red meat!

I can't be of much help in terms of recommending the best restaurants in this area for vegetarian and seafood dishes, but have you tried Mother's Market & Kitchen for an occasional lunchtime meal? They don't offer much variety, but it's a good place to go for a deli treat.

I take it you have already tried the vegetarian fare at Native Foods and are ready to move on?
Red meat is a big no no for me at this point.

Native Foods is ok, and I am very glad it is here, but it is not my favorite. I have had a few things from there and it was ok. I've tried Veggie Grill in Laguna Niguel many times as it is a favorite of some of my friends, but it seemed not only pricey, but not always healthy.

Whole Foods is a staple to be sure, but prices are high. I tried that new Wholesome Foods in Laguna Niguel and didn't see much that would help by way of prepared dishes. Sprouts has great prices on produce but offers little by way of prepared foods that would be of much assistance.

I was hoping for a good Indian place or other places with vegetarian dishes such as dal, patak paneer etc.

As for fish, I do love an occasional English style cod fry-up. I know it is terribly unhealthy, but it is yummy. I could have that on occasion. I hate to have to go to Long John Silvers in Anaheim as that is the only place I can find.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Sorry that I can't be of much help. I'm a non-cook, but I'm actually preparing most of my vegetarian meals at home; nothing special though.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

I was hoping for a good Indian place or other places with vegetarian dishes such as dal, patak paneer etc.
Look in Artesia's "Little India" on Pioneer Blvd.

Artesia Vegetarian Indian Restaurants - ArtesiaIndia.us

For tips on making your own dal and other Indian dishes check out the Manjula videos on youtube.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:17 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
We like Natraj for Indian food. I really like their vegetarian dishes. There's one on Alicia in Laguna Hills, no doubt the closest to you, and (which is good for us), one just opened near our house in RSM.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,176 times
Urban Plates (Irvine: Barranca+Culver), Tender Greens (Irvine Spectrum) -- "farm to table" fare, not strictly vegetarian, but they have fish and veggie options. Cafeteria style.

California Fish Grill (Irvine: Barranca+Culver) -- Plenty of fish options, fast/casual

Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM

Thanks all. I have transitioned well to a mostly vegetarian diet, but find, like Pacific, that I need to cook all the time. Nonetheless, it's nice to know I have some places I can go.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Souplantation restaurants are great for vegetarians and they have quite a few locations in Orange County.

Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes : Family Friendly Salad Bar & Buffet

Old 10-13-2014, 04:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Seabirds Kitchen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County