Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 48,610 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get out of MN harsh winters and into a better climate. I am wondering if Irvine, CA is a good place to raise young kids. We are looking for a neighborhood with young families and kids where I can send me kids outside and they can play with other neighbor kids. Want a really friendly atmosphere where I can have a beer with the neighbor.

I due have a little concern though about California being really fast pace and everyone trying to keep up with the Joneses. Is that true about Irvine, CA? I know it is a wealthier area but I would like people down to earth if possible.

Is there any new construction in Irvine, CA with great amenities such as pool community, private golf course etc..?

A little bit about me..I am in the tech industry so California does appeal to me. I work out of my home so commute is a non issue. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old which currently stays at home with the wife and I.

Thanks for you time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmedia View Post
We are looking for a neighborhood with young families and kids where I can send me kids outside and they can play with other neighbor kids. Want a really friendly atmosphere where I can have a beer with the neighbor.
Unlikely to find that here in SoCal. Most people don't even know their neighbors name, much less talk to and hang out with them. Everyone is far too busy working and with their own lives. Best to stay in the midwest for that kind of atmosphere.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM

101 posts, read 137,471 times
I live in Irvine and the neighborhood kids are outside playing together pretty much everyday I come home. It's even a mix of White, African American, and Indian kids. I don't have any kids so it can be annoying but I ride a motorcycle and the kids always stop and stare when I ride by (everyday!) which makes me chuckle. Irvine is a pretty big city but at least my part is very kid friendly. On the other hand I rarely talk to my neighbors. Aside from an older lady asking me to come into her house to catch a lizard I've barely spoken to anyone beyond hello.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:26 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
My hunch is that it may vary more by neighborhood than by city out here. I regularly chat with my neighbors. I even had a long talk with a new guy today when I was walking my dogs.

Strangers also say "Hi," when I am walking outside of my subdivision. I've even had a few extended chats with some of them!

This seems to be very common where I live.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
It does depend on the neighborhood. We live in a slightly older area (old for this town) where the houses are on the small side, and many people are original owners from the 1990s--some retired and around all the time. There are twin boys next door and four kids (blended family) down the street, and my son is playing outside with them all the time. We know our neighbors and everyone is friendly--I mean, we will stop and chat once in a while if we happen to be outside at the same time, and people borrow tools from each other and things like that. Sometimes there are even block parties (last one was on Halloween).

So I see a lot of people around our neighborhood, but I feel like when I drive through newer developments with bigger, more expensive homes, no one is visible anywhere. They're probably too busy working to pay the mortgage.

To answer your other question, there is a ton of new development in Irvine. A ton. Way too much. I don't know about golf courses but community pools are very common here.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 PM

65 posts, read 105,404 times
I live in Irvine, in one of the newer communities. I found it pretty easy to meet new people/neighbors when I had young kids like yours, and we walked to the neighborhood playgrounds all the time. It was easy to start up conversations with other parents who are approximately at the same life stage as you. the yards here are tiny, so most people will go to the parks/playgrounds. I've found that as the kids get older and have all of their activities, there's less time to run into the neighbors, but you'll meet people through your kids activities/school. There's a ton of very family oriented activities throughout Irvine. The city seems designed for that purpose. But usually the parents are with the kids--lots of helicopter parenting here. I rarely see kids out and about by themselves playing with other kids, and when they are older they are too busy with all the after school activities/homework to really just "play" and "hang out."

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 PM

298 posts, read 628,122 times
I agree it depends on the neighborhood. I had friends move for this very reason. After 12 years really never knew their neighbors. Most kids were busy with kumon and music lessons and were never outside. If you are open to other areas of south orange county you'll find several family friendly neighborhoods. Look at Ladera Ranch. It has a lot of what you are looking for and is VERY family friendly. It is about 20 minutes south of Irvine.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM

121 posts, read 158,260 times
My suggestion would be to come to OC and spend some time here before making any decisions.
I have ties to Minneapolis and I would argue that the quality of life might as good as many parts of Orange County save the weather (but at least you have water and the air is of decent quality).

I lived in Irvine for the better part of 6 years.

Safe, good schools (this is somewhat relative), lots of kids, close proximity to job centers and bike/ walking trails. That part is great.

High prices, small lots, high taxes and aggressive HOA's that like to control when and what you do to your own home. Ever seen 100 shades of tan? Irvine has sea's of Tan houses. Chain restaurants, Chain stores, Big Box, huge amounts of Asian and Muslim immigrants (I'm married to an Asian-American and we would Never, ever live in Irvine again).

Irvine to be is vastly overrated and feels like twilight zone episode waiting to happen.

I do still live in an affluent area of OC, but have every intention of leaving the county and the state withing the next year or two.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Could not think of a better place in the United States to raise children.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
I don't live in Irvine, but the grandparents do and I thought of buying a house there. Prices are outrageous, but there were SFR in my price range, but they are cramped townhouses on very, very small lots.

Anyway, Irvine:

- Lots of parks!
- FBI rated Irvine as safest big city in U.S.
- Clean, pretty planned communities without ugly power poles up and down the street.
- Lotsa Asians!
- Great schools, but lots of competition also.
- Getting more crowded...FBI report also said the population increased. My brother lives in Irvine and complained recently that the shopping areas are crowded.
- Friendly neighbors? That will depend on the neighborhood you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County