Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 04:50 PM

28 posts, read 28,581 times

Advertisements

I have a question about how to get local channels in this area. I've since moved out of the OC but a family member needs some advice on this issue. In the past they used to hook up the wall cable to a QAM tuner which ran to an older LED TV to get local channels (if I remember right, an antenna did NOT work for some reason in this area; or maybe it was the TV's fault?)

But I think I read somewhere that the cable itself no longer carries the channels (making the QAM tuner useless), so really OTA seems to be the only option left. Does anyone know what the best way forward is at this point? Would a newer TV be able to pick up local OTA signals that the older LED TV was not able to (even using an antenna)? They are not looking to subscribe to some expensive cable company that we all hate anyway but would welcome the ability to receive local channels.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
You need a new digital converter box of you are using a older TV. The signal is now digital. Walmart has them for $30 bucks

Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
I'm not sure a regular antenna would pick up local OTA channels in the OC since they beam from way up in LA. My great Aunt in San Diego lived on a cliff and had a large roof antenna. We got channels from LA all the way down through northwest Mexico. But that was a super antenna and before the whole digital switchover.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You need a new digital converter box of you are using a older TV. The signal is now digital. Walmart has them for $30 bucks
so running the cable through a digital converter box into the TV would allow reception of the major local channels? thanks

I ask because I previously used a QAM tuner box and attached the wall cable into that then ran another cable from the box to the TV and it worked, but my understanding was at some point the cable companies stopped transmitting signals through the cable for free?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM

807 posts, read 897,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jct55 View Post
so running the cable through a digital converter box into the TV would allow reception of the major local channels? thanks

I ask because I previously used a QAM tuner box and attached the wall cable into that then ran another cable from the box to the TV and it worked, but my understanding was at some point the cable companies stopped transmitting signals through the cable for free?
Who is the cable provider in that area? I know that there was a lot of noise not too long ago about Comcast encrypting the formerly open OTA channels through their cable. Maybe do a search to see if your family's cable provider has started doing the same thing.

See if you can find a manual online for that TV and check out its features to see if it has a Digital Tuner or not before going out to buy a separate box. The model number might be stamped somewhere on the back of the TV.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jct55 View Post

I assume you plan in using a antenna correct? you can't use the TV coax cable thats coming out of the wall.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:31 AM

If I remember right, it used to be Cox who was providing the cable service in the area, and the LED TV as far as I know does not have a digital tuner; that was why a few years ago we used a QAM tuner box to run the coax into it and then a cable from the box to the TV to get the signals for local channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County