Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 AM

23 posts, read 234,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You are obviously young and it is understandable you being cynical about home buying but there are so many advantages of home ownership. One big advantage is taxes. When you have children and a home you pay much, much less in taxes. Your interest is a huge tax write-off. The other big advantage is if you keep your home for a long period of time (in CA) and sell you can end up having a a home mortgage free as in our case by buying a house outside of CA for cash. Having a house paid for is huge both mentally and financially. A home is not a ball and chain once you have a family and settle down it is a home where you build lots of memories and financial stability.
Agree with the points by both posters. Buying a home is great for some and not so good for others. Here in Canada we can't even write off our mortgage interest so it's not so great here, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrywink View Post
Agree with the points by both posters. Buying a home is great for some and not so good for others. Here in Canada we can't even write off our mortgage interest so it's not so great here, lol
Most people I know would not be able to afford a home if it was not for the tx advantage. We call this house poor.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You are obviously young and it is understandable you being cynical about home buying but there are so many advantages of home ownership. One big advantage is taxes. When you have children and a home you pay much, much less in taxes. Your interest is a huge tax write-off. The other big advantage is if you keep your home for a long period of time (in CA) and sell you can end up having a a home mortgage free as in our case by buying a house outside of CA for cash. Having a house paid for is huge both mentally and financially. A home is not a ball and chain once you have a family and settle down it is a home where you build lots of memories and financial stability.

Ha! I am 53 and know quite a bit about purchasing homes.
I am just not into the consumption neighborhood and status symbol thingy.
I have a family, one teen and one 20.
But not everyone has a huge income to afford a home. So you let go and try to make do in other ways.
I just don't get people though, stretching their finances to the limit to own some of the homes I've seen.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Ha! I am 53 and know quite a bit about purchasing homes.
I am just not into the consumption neighborhood and status symbol thingy.
I have a family, one teen and one 20.
But not everyone has a huge income to afford a home. So you let go and try to make do in other ways.
I just don't get people though, stretching their finances to the limit to own some of the homes I've seen.
I agree completely that buying a house that you can't afford is crazy. We bought a house in Irvine for $122,00 in 1981 These homes were built for in Irvine to comply with the requirement for moderate income housing in 1979. Even back then it was a little stretch but we did it on one moderate income. We added an upstairs addition and kept the house in tip-top shape over the years and sold it last year for $800,000. That is why most people buy a house in CA. We now own a wonderful very large home mortgage free in the state of Texas. Our future is much more secure thanks to getting into the housing market and stcking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County