Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,414 times

Advertisements

Okay I'm new to the country.. and I was pulled over by a CHP officer on a freeway yesterday and he handed me a violation note along with a court appearance date (?)

Violation code: 26708 (A) - Tint
Correctable: Yes.
It's for the car window tint on the two front side windows.

So I understand I must get them removed .. and what next please?
I can't find any information anywhere.
I read that you must see an police officer or DMV, but how?

Do you just bring the car to a local police station and ask an officer to sign it? Do you need to make an appointment?

Do you bring the car to the ever-so-crowded DMV? If so, which department to contact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 01:51 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,256 times
Thats some bad luck. Ive had half a dozen cars with 20% tint on the front windows and never pulled over. You have limo (5%) tint on it? Just take it to any police dept and have them sign off on it.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Sounds like a fix-it ticket... Correct it and they should throw it out.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,414 times
The question is after I correct it, do I just drive to any local police station and get them to sign it off? Or do I need to go a specific department?
Thanks

Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al4u View Post
The question is after I correct it, do I just drive to any local police station and get them to sign it off? Or do I need to go a specific department?
Thanks
In most states you would go to the DMV or "Tax" collector (depending on how CA is setup) to request an inspection.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:47 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,467 times
If what you got is a "Fix It" ticket as wolf suggested, go to any police dept and tell them you fixed the problem. An officer will inspect the car to make sure the windows are legal and will sign off on the ticket.

My only moving violation (where I got caught!) was a fix-it ticket for a broken headlight. The officer clearly explained what to do. I think I paid a small fine, took the car to my mechanic, went to a police dept in costa mesa and luck would have it, my light was still broken at inspection. The officer signed the ticket off anyway and told me to get it fixed.

That was the end of it. I didn't have to go to court, to the DMV or anything. My friend got a ticket for tinted window. He just pulled the tint off and made an ugly mess, but he was legal...

If you ever need to visit a local DMV office, go online to their website and make an appt to any DMV office of your choice. You can call the DMV toll-free and an agent can set up an appt for you, but it's much easier online. Yes, the DMV lines are crazy long now because of the new driver's license law.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,210 times
I believe any one can sign off on it: DMV, CHP, sheriff/police. BUT, and this was almost 20 years ago, I went to CHP because it was FREE! DMV and police/sheriff were going to charge me something like $20 to come outside and look at my car (that doesn't include the fine you have to pay). No thanks. I just stopped at the local CHP office on my way to work one day, walked in, told them what I needed, got it signed off and went to work 5 mins later.

If you do choose DMV, make an appointment. There may be a wait, but it won't be as long.

Also, make sure you get it written off and turn the paperwork in before the deadline!

Last edited by psichick; 01-29-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 01:40 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al4u View Post
Thanks
It used to be any LEO could sign it off but years ago the CHP decided only one of their officers could sign off a CHP ticket. Go to a CHP substation or just look for a CHP car parked somewhere.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:00 PM

484 posts, read 822,146 times
Read the ticket but I think any police officer should be able to sign off on it. I once got a fix-it ticket for a burned out headlight. After I got it fixed I was driving along one night and saw a police car parked. I pulled over and asked the police officer to sign off on my ticket, which she was happy to do. I then mailed in the citation to the address on the ticket along with a $25 processing fee.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Drive 95 mph on the freeway. When you get pulled over, ask them to signoff on your windows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County