Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,843 times

Advertisements

Currently looking for a home and wanted some feedback on the Tustin Meadows area. Also, I saw that part of the neighborhood is fairly close to the railroad and was curious about the noise and how often trains run through. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 02:47 PM

109 posts, read 140,610 times
Been browsing around the area on google maps and it seemed super nice tbh. Every home was kept up and it's also in a convenient area. Not sure about the train though.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:11 PM

823 posts, read 1,772,721 times
I think my husband and I looked at homes in that area along the tracks. The complex did look nice, but the house I looked was newer built, but small. If that's the same place, the tracks are for Metrolink and Amtrak, which goes through there pretty often (for commuters). I'm sure you can check the schedule online. Look for the Irvine station. Not sure how loud the trains are, but since there isn't a station there, maybe they just roll on by.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:31 PM

117 posts, read 236,988 times
Commuter trains in the day and freight trains in the middle of the night. Trains are required to sound their whistles four times as they approaches each crossing (2 long horns then 1 short horn and followed by a long horn). The track crosses Redhill Ave on the street level and you are likely close enough to hear it. If you are a light sleeper, I would avoid buying a house close to road noises and train tracks. Buying a house is a big decision, if I were you I would park my car there and sleep overnight in the car for a few days to see if you can handle it.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM

347 posts, read 663,925 times
Don't worry about the train sounding their horns. The Redhill rail crossing does not allow for the train to blow its horn. What you have to see is if you can handle the amount of freight trains that roll through the night. Since they don't sound the horn, it's the humming that you will hear. Not sure if that will be an issue.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:05 AM

117 posts, read 236,988 times
How do they get away with not blowing horns at that crossing?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

347 posts, read 663,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsifoes View Post
How do they get away with not blowing horns at that crossing?
There are "No Train Horn" crossing all throughout OC. It just takes extra mitigation efforts to prevent people from crossing.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:22 AM

671 posts, read 1,184,859 times
Yes, more and more areas are getting approval from FRA for "Quiet Zones" or something like that, the official name I can't recall, all across the country. It is a process where a number of things have to be taken into consideration, and approval is NOT guaranteed, but the FRA is handing out the approvals pretty frequently these days because so many are requesting them.

As for Metrolink: they use a muted, less loud horn sound (I can't recall the official name of these FRA approved horns) to mitigate horn noise, not the really super loud horns that the freights use. The less loud Metrolink horns make all the difference in the world, and they pass by very fast and don't make much noise passing (longest trains are 6 cars) as the track in that area is maintained VERY well by Metrolink (who control dispatch and are responsible for maintenance of that stretch of track that is owned by the OCTA) with modern rail and ties that contribute to reducing noise. Like another poster said, it will be the humming or slight rumbling of the freights that could be a problem for you, and for that you need to do some research as to how close the house really is to the tracks and what exactly is the noise created by the freights. You may just want to knock on the doors and as people who live there. The good news is that stretch sees a fraction of the freight traffic of BNSF east mainline that is very far from this location.

Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner service) currently uses the K5LA very loud horns (although they can blow a soft version), but I remember reading that Amtrak Pacific Surfliners will be switching to the more quiet horns used by Metrolink. The current K5LA horns on Pacific Surfliners are mounted on the low end of the cab car close to the tracks to minimize noise (I think they are also mounted close to tracks on locomotive, but certainly not on the top). Both services offer easy access to a lot of coastal southern California without dealing with traffic, likely a bigger pain to you than the trains.

So, considering the crossing is "Quiet Zone" it sounds like there shouldn't be a big problem with noise as far a horns are concerned.

One thing to consider is that being close to a commuter rail line (of course, that is different than living just feet away from it) can be a BIG PLUS in LA area as this can make your home more desirable to commuters and even to yourself should you find you need or desire to use it yourself. The Metrolink OC line is filled with some of OC's most affluent residents who might find your location one to envy.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 02-13-2015 at 01:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County