Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:28 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,637,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturequesting View Post
Hello, I'm a young single 20 something year old considering moving to Orange County to work at the children's hospital from Georgia. Would orange county/ area around the hospital be a good place to live? Or what would be another good option? Ideally it would be wonderful to have coffee shops/restaurants/bars to walk to- as well as places outdoors to run. And it would be great to have young professionals living around the area to make friends with. I adore outdoors, which is one of the reasons Cali sounds like such a great place, plus the weather is unbeatable.
Thank you for any input.
To actually answer your question, you probably just want to live near CHOC in Orange or northern Santa Ana. There's a great bike/running trail that goes through Santiago Creek that is well used by the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 PM

347 posts, read 663,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
To actually answer your question, you probably just want to live near CHOC in Orange or northern Santa Ana. There's a great bike/running trail that goes through Santiago Creek that is well used by the locals.
Good point. Santiago Creek is really nice. Plus, you can bike to the beach from there without having to worry about sharing the road with cars.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,515,474 times
Sure, north Santa Ana, where all the violence is. OP, for your safety please avoid Santa Ana like the plague, especially the north end. The 17th street/Bristol area over to Main is where much of the crime happens. The only part of Santa Ana that is somewhat safe is the very south end right up against South coast Plaza and even then, its only a block or two. Orange is ok but you'll be very bored.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,472,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Sure, north Santa Ana, where all the violence is. OP, for your safety please avoid Santa Ana like the plague, especially the north end. The 17th street/Bristol area over to Main is where much of the crime happens. The only part of Santa Ana that is somewhat safe is the very south end right up against South coast Plaza and even then, its only a block or two. Orange is ok but you'll be very bored.
I agree, Orange is boring...but the OP's screename is 'naturequesting'. So if access to OCs wilderness and outdoors activities is a priority, then i would seriously consider moving there. Not to mention, proximity to work.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:45 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,458,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
I'm a millenial so we probably like the same stuff. Walkable, historic, shops, restaurants, etc... You should definitely check out Downtown Santa Ana. The best restaurants and cafes are down there including an awesome new market. It's essentially the hipster central of OC.

FOOD IN DTSA

4th St Market

Brewery in Downtown!

Tons of more stuff too. Living in and around here ain't to expensive either.

Don't let the few haters on this forum sway you. If you're cool, you're hanging out in Downtown. Most of the other peeps in this forum are pretty old so they're all grumpy and stuff.
Ah, the arbiter of who and what is "cool". Good to know.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,458,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Very true. Though, honestly, the areas of Fullerton near the 'extensive trails' don't really have much in apartments or 20 somethings. I guess at least it is a short drive. I frequent that area a lot since I am right next door in BP.

Fullerton has solid neighborhoods and great schools, if I could afford to live in those neighborhoods, I see no reason to move down to South OC for great family life. The school district is one of the best in the entire county (and California for that matter), with school's like Troy and Sunny Hills both being top performers and the diversity of North OC can't be matched in the south. Who knows...maybe within the next decade, as these newish south OC towns mature, they will eventually become more attractive to me...but they're not there yet. Right now I really like the geographic advantage that North OC provides. Meaning that on the weekends, I am only 30 mins from DTLA, around 20 to 25 mins from the beach...15 to 20 minutes from central OC and its offerings. Plus just a short distance, over the hills (the Puente Hills), I have the amazing gastronomic world of the SGV (Rowland Heights, Hacienda, Diamond Bar). Damn, I'm rambling now.

Fullerton nabes like this one are idyllic...even for this urbanite:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9002...DLIzkqqs2Q!2e0

Either way, Fullerton does get my vote, BUT good luck finding decent affordable apartments. Like someone else mentioned, if we knew the OP's budget, we would know what we have to work with...but we don't. So there's that. lol
Oh, Fullerton has plenty of decent affordable apartments; just not necessarily in the "cooler" areas--though I lived in one for a while that was one of the better deals in town--between Commonwealth and the train track.....pretty nice place, actually, and a convenient walk to downtown.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 PM

347 posts, read 663,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Ah, the arbiter of who and what is "cool". Good to know.
Sorry I hang with people my age. Not 40 year olds.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:34 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
I'm a millenial so we probably like the same stuff. Walkable, historic, shops, restaurants, etc... You should definitely check out Downtown Santa Ana.
I'm sorry, but if someone is primarily into "walkable, historic" type settings, I would not recommend Orange County. You could hardly get less "walkable and historic" then this county. Move to Brooklyn or Boston or something, or move to Europe, but not Orange County.

The reasons for this county's appeal have absolutely nothing to do with either history or walkability. It's mostly weather, outdoors, car culture, ocean, new, cookie-cutter, safe, ethnic, malls, gated communities, etc. Not a place for lovers of subways, lofts, urban grit, etc.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:09 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,637,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The reasons for this county's appeal have absolutely nothing to do with either history or walkability. It's mostly weather, outdoors, car culture, ocean, new, cookie-cutter, safe, ethnic, malls, gated communities, etc. Not a place for lovers of subways, lofts, urban grit, etc.
You're right. It's absolutely disgusting.

Some of us, however, try and make the best of a bad situation and Santa Ana is by far the best option in the whole County.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Huntington Beach is probably the hottest place for 20 year olds to live as it's a wild and crazy city with a strong surf vibe.
Fullerton has a university so it's another youth themed area.
Both places are great to spend your 20's in until you mature at the old age of 30. !
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Yeah, if you're white surfer brah and/or a fan of that demographic. Also, if your definition of 'wild and crazy' means the occasional riot caused by middle class punks too bored with their lives to do anything productive.
HB is a pretty cool place.

There are plenty of places to hang out outside of downtown (which is over run by Douchebags from the 909 almost every weekend during the summer) Downtown during weekday evenings and off season is still family oriented with good bars and restaurants. Most locals don't go downtown during summer weekends.

If you live in the Harbor Area you can easily ride a bike to Seal Beach or Downtown, and still have good recreational/dining/drinking amenities during weekday evening.

If you live in South HB, you can enjoy Newport Beach and Downtown.

Childrens' Hospital is abouit a 30 minute Commute with Lite/medium traffic. With heavy traffic it can take over an Hour.

You can find good hiking/running/Cycling trails all over - Bolsa Chica, Central Park, Along the Beach. If you like water sports, you would be in Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County