Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM

117 posts, read 238,177 times

Advertisements

A 3 room, 1600sqft condo in Aliso Viejo rents for $2500. Lake Forest is a little cheaper but schools aren't as good. At 2000/mon you are not going to find anything with 3 rooms in this area.

It all depends on what you have as a goal. You can definitely make it with 105k as renters and live from paycheck to paycheck. What I see is going to be difficult for you is to have extra money every month to save up for a downpayment.

If the move is inevitable, I would rent a 2 bedroom place in Lake Forest or Aliso Viejo or Rancho Santa Margarita. Save like crazy for the next 5 years (no cable subscription and no cell phone data plans...I just saved you $300/month here). In 5 years, you can tell people you've made it with the downpayment in hand to buy a place of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 25,137 times
The job situation is unique and I don't feel like going into specifics on this forum is relevant to what I'm asking. Fact of the matter is we need 3 bedrooms and he will drive to san clemente 2-3 times a week so we want to live a pleasant life within a reasonable distance. North is super expensive so we are open up to south.

Very good to know about that checkpoint! Nobody mentioned that before, so oceanside may be out.

As for debt, I'm intelligent enough to budget and live within my means. We are fine now making payments. We will be fine there making payments if everything stays the same except for rent, which I've budgeted for a significant increase. But since I don't live there and can't just go spend a week there to see how much living there ACTUALLY costs day to day I rely on the experience of strangers to guide me.

Right now I can see there are some affordable condos in lake forest, mission Viejo and irvine. Some of the homes further away in my budget look sketchy. I've been told all the less expensive areas inland are basically meth towns or have gang issues. So if I want a decent home not in a gang area for under 2000k within 30 min of san clemente I would want to be where?

Thanks though for the tips! When it comes time to make a final decision about whether or not to go to CA i'll be informed enough to make the one that is best for our situation.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,069 times
The only reason anyone lives in Oceanside is if they are a Marine, a hooker, a drug dealer or a gang member. Not a place for a family at all. Apartment rentals in OC have skyrocketed last few years. You are talking about one of the most expensive areas in the country. I live in Anaheim, one of the least expensive cities in OC and you won't find a 3 bedroom apartment here for $2k. tiny 1 bedrooms with no central air in shady parts of the city are running $1300+ here. Price, safety, close commute. Pick one, you aren't getting all 3 on that budget.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB85 View Post
So if I want a decent home not in a gang area for under 2000k within 30 min of san clemente I would want to be where?
The fact is that San Clemente is somewhat isolated, being bordered on three sides by Camp Pendleton, the Cleveland National Forest, and the Pacific Ocean.

You can not get to the inland areas (Lake Elsinore, Temecula, Fallbrook, etc.) in 30 minutes from San Clemente. You might be able to make it to & from Oceanside in 30 minutes; all the other options are in South Orange County. Whether you can find a 3-bedroom house for under $2k in any of the places within the commute you want is what is debatable. Believe me, a LOT of people would like to find that living situation somewhere around here.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:13 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB85 View Post
My husband is being transferred to OC next month and will be getting a boost to 105k. Based on the cost of living calculator we would need another $30k to live similarly to how we live now so I am pretty worried. Is 105k enough to live well? I can make anything work but I'm really tired of barely scraping by. So living well is key. Like go to the zoo whenever well, not renting a yacht and buying Gucci well.

Things to consider:
Family of 3, 1 toddler. I will stay home to save on child care. It would take a while for me to get a job anyway.
We will rent for sure, preferably under $2000/mo. Need 3 rooms, hubby works from home.
We have student loan debt, dental debt (braces) and major home repair debt from selling our stupid house. We are currently able to stay out of the red on our salary here (80k), but it is definitely tight. Thanks to the repairs mostly. It wasn't always tight, we were doing fine before everything broke.
Our cars are paid off, we generally only pay cash so CC debt isn't our go to form of payment.
I haven't bought shoes in like 3 years and mine are falling apart. Obviously I've learned to go without.
I don't want to live in a gang infested area- any suggestions on decent cities within 30 minutes of San Clemente?
Is this even a good idea? I'd rather not live paycheck to paycheck. I could really use an updated shirt or two. I lost a bunch of weight so I don't fit in anything I own (boo hoo I know).

We're moving next month but can still opt out if it's just not doable. What do you guys think?
Based on your budget and the need for 3 rooms I think you might want to look into Temecula/Fallbrook. They're further than 30 minutes from San Clemente, but are significantly cheaper.

I just went on craigslist and there's slim pickings for your needs. However, this did come up

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/apa/4897440664.html

You should rent it immediately.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:55 PM

117 posts, read 238,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Based on your budget and the need for 3 rooms I think you might want to look into Temecula/Fallbrook. They're further than 30 minutes from San Clemente, but are significantly cheaper.

I just went on craigslist and there's slim pickings for your needs. However, this did come up

Updated Single Story Condo with Granite Bathrooms and Detached Garage

LOL. That listing is in an area known as the "ghetto of Aliso Viejo". Google it. The whole community is low income. This is probably the only place in South OC you will find graffiti and gangs. Stay away if I were you.

To my surprise, there are actually some 3 bd that rent for $2000. But most of these are in so called low income complexes. If you increase to $2300, you get a lot more hits. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/s...300&bedrooms=3

Last edited by jamsifoes; 02-20-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times
Quote:

I would not recommend that area. It's a very low income outlying immigrant community in Aliso Viejo with dated housing and "issues."

It's a world apart from the rest of the city.

Last edited by pacific2; 02-20-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I would not recommend that area. It's a very low income outlying immigrant community in Aliso Viejo with dated housing and "issues."

It's a world apart from the rest of the city.
The horror! I thought South OC was free from such mundane problems as dated housing!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM

372 posts, read 576,112 times
This is on a minor note in your post, but if you're wanting to shop for "new" clothes in your new size, don't forget consignment shops. I live inland from where you're looking, and I have a friend from Orange County who drives out here for one of her favorite shops. If not consignment, check the Angel View shops and others like that. Personally, I've donated new clothing, tags still on, and I am sure I'm not the only one.

There must be some great consignment shops in OC.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:31 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,537,512 times
Quote:

Oh goodness, my husband and I looked at a few places in that neighborhood a couple of years ago when we were toying with buying a condo, and we would ALWAYS take a walk around on a Friday or Saturday night any place we were remotely considering to check out the noise level. Well, ya better learn Spanish, and get ready for some CRAZY fiestas on the weekends! Wow! (we passed, it was the noise level more than anything!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County