Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:35 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times

Advertisements

its better to commute from IE to OC than not having work at all.

and those living in those bedroom communities prefer the size of the houses there compared with the equivalent in price of the condos available in OC

and if only San Diego or IE or LA have the jobs their residents need, they don't need to commute to OC which has them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 02:39 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
They cope with the 91 because, even after doing a cost benefit analysis that includes consideration of their commuting time, wear and tear on themselves AND their vehicle, and tolls, the housing prices and QOL(relative to amount of money spent) that they have in the IE outweighs the pain.

I don't know why this is dificult to understand when there are Los Banos and Modesto...
Even with rapid transit the bay is much worse for carbon foot prints. Since they refuse to build anything, they force people to commute fron central valley farm country. The bay area leads the nation in super commuters, even more than SoCal. They have more workers commuting 50+ miles a day than anywhere else in this country.

Ironically, in true bay fashion, they are the backwards ones, forcing people into insane commutes.

OC had bad traffic because it is crowded and built out. The bay has traffic because of design. The bay bridge and altamont pass being perfect examples.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except they're not, why do you think so many people commute from the IE to OC? You keep saying people won't do that commute but they are. You can keep telling yourself whatever you want but it simply doesn't match up with reality at all. According to you traffic on the 91 should have just disappeared by now because people should get sick of doing that commute.
Note I said if they had any brains they would move out.

So many people are trapped in the area and can't seem to look beyond it.Probably 90% or better of the kids I went to school with (Graduated from NHHS in 64) have moved out of the State. While I love CA (Born and raised here) and it's beauty and weather, the COL and traffic and ridiculous regulations, taxes and fees keep me from moving back (IF my wife would ever want to and she doesn't). All we do now is visit for a short while and then get out (here right now).

Unless you grew up in OC as I did (Really I have lived in LA, OC, SD Counties and the IE you do not see the huge change that has occurred. I used to be great, now it is a pain, even though the State is still beautiful and has wonderful weather (SoCal) and I love the beaches, the day to day life is just a drag compared to many other places. For those who want it badly, live with the commute, costs, etc. I will agree that the Northern part of the US is not all that nice in Winter, and yes I have lived there, but I have also lived in several Southern States and other than the Summer humidity, they were great places to live. Next stop for me (and probably the last) is FL, but NOT the SE or SW FL which is about as bad as SoCal now.

To each their own.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:42 AM

383 posts, read 343,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Leave early, and you can get there in about one hour. The later you leave, the longer it will take you, especially if it is a hot summer weekend. The 91 freeway is under construction and becomes very congested with people heading for the beach.

In the off season (from now through May), the traffic may not be so bad, but it's still best to leave early.

As for parking, most beaches have meters or paid parking lots. There are places where it is possible to park for free, but I don't want to give them away.

The ocean water off the California coast is always cool to cold, but people do swim, surf, and play in the water all the time in the summer, at least here in Southern California. I don't know why someone would tell you they don't.
Which time did you mean under "early"? 6 am?) 1 h from Corona to the beach seems pretty nice! What about work week? how long will commute take in common working day?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Which time did you mean under "early"? 6 am?) 1 h from Corona to the beach seems pretty nice! What about work week? how long will commute take in common working day?
You should be OK leaving on the weekend before about 9 am. As for the work week, I don't make that commute personally so I can't say.

Several times I have gone to and from my house in OC to Corona on work days between 11am and 2pm and traffic was fine at that time. But I would try to avoid the rush hours of 7-9am, and 4-7pm, for sure.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
its better to commute from IE to OC than not having work at all.
Working for a living is highly over-rated.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:51 PM

209 posts, read 263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
I wake up at 5:30 am Monday-Friday and the first thing I do is turn on the news to check the traffic. The commute from Corona to Anaheim is bumper to bumper. My assistant worked for me for exactly one year before she quit because she couldn't tolerate the drive to/from Corona where she lived....I work in Irvine. A 2 hour commute was very normal for her.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:59 PM

209 posts, read 263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Note I said if they had any brains they would move out.

So many people are trapped in the area and can't seem to look beyond it.Probably 90% or better of the kids I went to school with (Graduated from NHHS in 64) have moved out of the State. While I love CA (Born and raised here) and it's beauty and weather, the COL and traffic and ridiculous regulations, taxes and fees keep me from moving back (IF my wife would ever want to and she doesn't). All we do now is visit for a short while and then get out (here right now).

Unless you grew up in OC as I did (Really I have lived in LA, OC, SD Counties and the IE you do not see the huge change that has occurred. I used to be great, now it is a pain, even though the State is still beautiful and has wonderful weather (SoCal) and I love the beaches, the day to day life is just a drag compared to many other places. For those who want it badly, live with the commute, costs, etc. I will agree that the Northern part of the US is not all that nice in Winter, and yes I have lived there, but I have also lived in several Southern States and other than the Summer humidity, they were great places to live. Next stop for me (and probably the last) is FL, but NOT the SE or SW FL which is about as bad as SoCal now.

To each their own.
I totally agree with this post. I've lived in OC my entire life and at the ripe age of 37 I am getting SO OVER IT. Aside from the insane cost of living, it's simply a pain in the @ss to live here. It's hard work getting around anywhere. People from out of state always tell me how lucky I am to live to close to Los Angeles. I tell them I go up to LA maybe once a year because it's simply not worth the drive to me anymore. I think getting older has a lot to do with it as well. When I was 21 I didn't care about traffic, nor how long it took to get anywhere. Then again, I was in college and didn't have to go to work 5 days a week.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Irvine's invasive weed like growth, and subsequent negative impact upon traffic, just seems to be out of control. There're no mass transit plans that I know of to accommodate this general area's increased transportation needs.

What's interesting, is that this particular phase in being proposed by Orange County (on county land), but again, with no apparent attempt at developing mass transit.
O.C. releases plan for Irvine condo, retail development in Great Park that could earn $4 billion - The Orange County Register

"... nearly 1.9 million square feet of office space, 2,103 housing units, 220,000 feet of commercial space and a 242-room hotel."

Yuck, I'm maybe just 10 minutes south of Irvine.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Irvine's invasive weed like growth, and subsequent negative impact upon traffic, just seems to be out of control. There're no mass transit plans that I know of to accommodate this general area's increased transportation needs.

What's interesting, is that this particular phase in being proposed by Orange County (on county land), but again, with no apparent attempt at developing mass transit.
O.C. releases plan for Irvine condo, retail development in Great Park that could earn $4 billion - The Orange County Register

"... nearly 1.9 million square feet of office space, 2,103 housing units, 220,000 feet of commercial space and a 242-room hotel."

Yuck, I'm maybe just 10 minutes south of Irvine.
Like you, I am shocked. This is not good news for the region's traffic. Good thing I don't comute. But when we need to go up the 5 north, and inevitaby we all need to at times, the traffic we will encounter will be worse.

I am a little surprised over this apparent coflict between the county and Irvine. It seems the county wants ever more density. Unstated in the article is the required construction of "affordable housing" which they push like gospel as it is a statewide imperative. No doubt Irvine will have to build it. They are really jamming it down our throats as part of our downtown construction in even my little town. We all hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County