Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:55 PM

64 posts, read 129,836 times

Advertisements

Why is slowing growth or negative growth a bad thing? This mindset stems from a myopic focus on unending growth for its own sake or the notion that growth is somehow inherently good.

I don't blindly subscribe to that mindset. I don't follow the flock when it comes to growth obsession. I'm interested in quality over quantity.

Also, the human species may ultimately have to embrace sustainability and learn lessons the hard way. At some point, we may have to confront the harsh realities of nature and understand that exponential, limitless growth is not sustainable, does not necessarily lead to a better life, and is potentially dangerous to us as a species. And this extends far beyond water resources and into every aspect of physical and psychological well-being for us as people.

The Earth is a finite place with finite resources and finite potential to support growth and expansion. And every location on this planet has its limits.

You can take a short-sighted view and be obsessed with growth metrics in economics, development or any other category. You can find some kind of personal satisfaction or enjoyment in being competitive in growth metrics and trying to tear down some communities and laud others due to relative differences in these indicators.

But, again, I don't embrace this mentality, and I don't accept the assumption that growth is inherently good or always beneficial. There is overwhelmingly empirical evidence that this is not the case.

Maybe people should asks the residents of Beijing or Guangzhou, China how world-beating and seemingly limitless growth is working out for them. Sometimes those apparent economic benefits and all those fantastic growth metrics give way to horrible sacrifices in quality of life and potential survival.

Personally, I would rather see sustainability than growth. In fact, I would rather see OC shrink that grow. If the population declines at a reasonable rate and there are natural adjustments due to economics and development bumping up against natural limits and realities, then I think this is a good news story.

I welcome the departure of residents for other states and locations. Let them be part of some other boom and seemingly endless expansion that leads to traffic problems, shortages of resources, air pollution, and other issues that negatively impact quality of life. The rest of us can remain here to enjoy a more sustainable and enjoyable existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA27 View Post
Why is slowing growth or negative growth a bad thing? This mindset stems from a myopic focus on unending growth for its own sake or the notion that growth is somehow inherently good.

I don't blindly subscribe to that mindset. I don't follow the flock when it comes to growth obsession. I'm interested in quality over quantity.

Also, the human species may ultimately have to embrace sustainability and learn lessons the hard way. At some point, we may have to confront the harsh realities of nature and understand that exponential, limitless growth is not sustainable, does not necessarily lead to a better life, and is potentially dangerous to us as a species. And this extends far beyond water resources and into every aspect of physical and psychological well-being for us as people.

The Earth is a finite place with finite resources and finite potential to support growth and expansion. And every location on this planet has its limits.

You can take a short-sighted view and be obsessed with growth metrics in economics, development or any other category. You can find some kind of personal satisfaction or enjoyment in being competitive in growth metrics and trying to tear down some communities and laud others due to relative differences in these indicators.

But, again, I don't embrace this mentality, and I don't accept the assumption that growth is inherently good or always beneficial. There is overwhelmingly empirical evidence that this is not the case.

Maybe people should asks the residents of Beijing or Guangzhou, China how world-beating and seemingly limitless growth is working out for them. Sometimes those apparent economic benefits and all those fantastic growth metrics give way to horrible sacrifices in quality of life and potential survival.

Personally, I would rather see sustainability than growth. In fact, I would rather see OC shrink that grow. If the population declines at a reasonable rate and there are natural adjustments due to economics and development bumping up against natural limits and realities, then I think this is a good news story.

I welcome the departure of residents for other states and locations. Let them be part of some other boom and seemingly endless expansion that leads to traffic problems, shortages of resources, air pollution, and other issues that negatively impact quality of life. The rest of us can remain here to enjoy a more sustainable and enjoyable existence.
Exactly.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
To be honest, I like this very low population growth for reasons that might sound selfish. OC cannot sustain a large population growth. We already have high traffic, are almost completely built out, have scarce water supplies (which hopefully will be augmented by desal), and a nice quality of life. I don't see the quality of life improving with growth rates like those in Dallas, the opposite would occur.

I also think these comparisons with Dallas are pointless. You know full well why there are still some employers in Southern California at all. It isn't because they don't want to leave. It has to do with the fact that people want to live here. The fact that they cannot afford to live here is a function of the desirability of the area and the willingness of others to pour wealth into the area to live here no matter what. Indeed, Southern California can never really compete with places like Dallas on cost alone, no matter how much incentive we offer.
Plus in Dallas, they can just keep building houses further out to keep up with demand. OC can't do that.

Denver is odd... unemployment is low, job growth is good, people are moving here in droves, but housing costs are skyrocketing.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Dude, housing is less expensive in Dallas than it is in OC for a reason! It’s less desirable to live there. As to your point about job growth and low unemployment rates driving up housing cost, this is only part of the story in my opinion. Yes, these two scenarios are driving up housing cost, but there is a Socal premium (location, location, location), higher salaries in SoCal, more amenities, and a diversified economy.
Definitely. Dallas has a miserable climate and ugly geography. And really, nothing of interest surrounding it. Within a 3 hour drive of Dallas, what can you see? Flat farmland? Cactus and bugs? But some people think Texas is gawd's gift to the universe

Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
From my friend that moved there from California and loves it...

Texas is a State of Mind...

Old 04-09-2015, 08:21 PM

44 posts, read 76,225 times
Texifornication? Ha! San Antonio has the River Walk and the Alamo, Houston has the Space Center, Dallas "Big D" has its Reunion Tower and JFK museum. Fort Worth has its Stockyards. Austin has its music scene and the Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 race track. College Station has H.W.'s library.

Wide open country.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 11,685 times
I believe important factor comparing Dallas's price of 250K and OC price of 570K hinges on property tax.

On 250K Dallas property , property tax is 6,875 dollars @2.8%
On 570K OC propert , property tax is 6,840 dollars @1.2%

so Texans waste lots of money to property taxes which can go towards mortgage payments. And, if you factor in prop 13 provision, OC looks more attractive than Dallas.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentacct View Post
I believe important factor comparing Dallas's price of 250K and OC price of 570K hinges on property tax.

On 250K Dallas property , property tax is 6,875 dollars @2.8%
On 570K OC propert , property tax is 6,840 dollars @1.2%

so Texans waste lots of money to property taxes which can go towards mortgage payments. And, if you factor in prop 13 provision, OC looks more attractive than Dallas.
But no State income tax in TX, lower gas costs, lower car registration, Lower water cost :^), lower insurance, lower ... well many things. Now I lived in TX just outside of Dallas and my property tax on a home 60% the cost of the TX home listed above as less than 60% of your figure; with an 1800 sq ft home on 3.5 acres, a 1500 sq ft barn, 3 outbuildings, a two plus car garage and more. Now what waste of money? The property tax according to your figures is about the same, so where does the money come from to make a OC house payment?????? Now where in OC is it 1.2%, I paid and always see about 1.6% and then Mello Roos on top of that for many homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County