Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you leave
Yes 42 54.55%
No 35 45.45%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Do you realize the cost for schooling in CA is much higher than FL? About 3 times as much while the pay only appears to be $20-25k more a year for an RN. Teachers look to be even less of a salary difference, around $10-$13k a year. So although an RN or teacher might make more money in CA, paying back student loans will take a huge chunk of that extra salary for many years to come. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I didn't say anything about where they went to school, I'm talking rate of pay. 20 to 25K a year is big chunk of change.

Do you realize in FL that state of FL allows a much higher number of nurse/patient ratios than most states? So now you have an nurse making less than their counter parts in other states, and also have more patients(in a hospital setting) to take care of....how do you think that plays out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
I live in San Diego now and the first chance I get I am moving to Irvine.

The most appealing aspect of Irvine is the people. Sane, friendly, happy, and mind their own business.

The cookie cutter homes and shopping malls actually appeal to me.

Oh, did I mention how clean the city is?
Interesting. After you get up to Irvine, and then settled, please update us on your view. I agree that Irvine is a nice place, not my favorite, but a darn nice place.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I didn't say anything about where they went to school, I'm talking rate of pay. 20 to 25K a year is big chunk of change.
Check your facts.

RN in California
$72,000
http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-RN-l-California.html

RN in Florida
$63,000
http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-RN-l-Florida.html

Again a State Income tax in CA over 9% and 0% in FL
California Income Tax Rates for 2015

Just the State tax cuts the gain in CA to about 1/2 of the difference between CA and FL. Then we look at housing and rental costs and ... FL comes out ahead.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Check your facts.

RN in California
$72,000
http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-RN-l-California.html

RN in Florida
$63,000
http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-RN-l-Florida.html

Again a State Income tax in CA over 9% and 0% in FL
California Income Tax Rates for 2015

Just the State tax cuts the gain in CA to about 1/2 of the difference between CA and FL. Then we look at housing and rental costs and ... FL comes out ahead.
There is actually a site for nurses called Allnurses and one of the topics is the lower salaries in FL.

Have you ever lived in FL? I have. Unless you're a fan of horrific heat and humidity most of the year, it's not a pleasant place. Other than a couple of months in the winter(where the temps and humidity drop) it's pretty miserable.

I remember one weekend in March it was about 75 degrees and not humid, there was even a nice breeze, people were thrilled. You could actually go outside and not melt, but that was a fluke. I laughed to myself thinking this is Southern CA weather most of the year.

That weather last two days, then it was back up to over 90 and humid and remained that way till well into November.

Running from A/C to A/C most of the year isn't a great way to live.

I also got sticker shock in the supermarkets in FL, Publix dominates the market and they're pricey, no discount cards or double coupons. I remember asking the cashier if they did double coupons, they asked me what that was.

Oh and car insurance? Higher in FL than it was in CA. Why? FL has more than 1/3 of the drivers driving around with no car insurance.

So there is no state income tax, you pay for it in other ways. Healthcare is very hit and miss there. Get laid off in FL, you're UE benefits max out at $275, and FL does it's best to not give to people, even those who get laid off for no reason.

As the expression goes "when you go cheap, ya get cheap", the ironic thing is FL isn't cheap. Yes, buying a house is, but other things are just as expensive as anywhere else.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
There is actually a site for nurses called Allnurses and one of the topics is the lower salaries in FL.

Have you ever lived in FL? I have. Unless you're a fan of horrific heat and humidity most of the year, it's not a pleasant place. Other than a couple of months in the winter(where the temps and humidity drop) it's pretty miserable.

I remember one weekend in March it was about 75 degrees and not humid, there was even a nice breeze, people were thrilled. You could actually go outside and not melt, but that was a fluke. I laughed to myself thinking this is Southern CA weather most of the year.

That weather last two days, then it was back up to over 90 and humid and remained that way till well into November.

Running from A/C to A/C most of the year isn't a great way to live.

I also got sticker shock in the supermarkets in FL, Publix dominates the market and they're pricey, no discount cards or double coupons. I remember asking the cashier if they did double coupons, they asked me what that was.

Oh and car insurance? Higher in FL than it was in CA. Why? FL has more than 1/3 of the drivers driving around with no car insurance.

So there is no state income tax, you pay for it in other ways. Healthcare is very hit and miss there. Get laid off in FL, you're UE benefits max out at $275, and FL does it's best to not give to people, even those who get laid off for no reason.

As the expression goes "when you go cheap, ya get cheap", the ironic thing is FL isn't cheap. Yes, buying a house is, but other things are just as expensive as anywhere else.
Yes lower salaries because of a lower COL. The tax differences alone cover the difference and leave extra dollars for the costs that are a bit higher.

Yes it is humid, so what? Most of the US is and for many that is a blessing. My lips, throat and muscles love it, unlike when I was in CA.

Bugs? Well I own property in FL, drive there frequently and the bug situation is over rated unless you live in very southern FL. My wind shield is cleaner than it was in CA, from dead bugs.

Car insurance is a bit higher in FL, but yearly registration is quite a bit lower and then throw in the difference in Gas cost and FL is still ahead.

I have lived in CA for 50 years and out of it for 18 years, though divided over several in and out moves. I have lived in 7 States around the US from East to West and North to South. CA is still my favorite State but it has a LOT of problems and they are getting worse. Mind you no State is perfect, so one should learn the good and bad before moving anywhere, not just dream of the positives. I am glad I lived in OC when I did, the best time the State of CA had, and far better than now.

I am actually looking to move to FL or buy a 2nd home there and I have and will be visiting every month over the next year or so. Just as CA has cold, warm and hot areas, and real bad areas, so does FL, just not quite the wide temperatures swings the State of CA sees. Then the warm water is soooooooooooo much better than the cold water in CA.

Is FL paradise, nope and neither is CA. Both have pluses and minuses and it is for each person to evaluate what is important to them.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 AM

280 posts, read 325,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
You also pay 1/3 less for everything you would in CA too. Im sure you can get 3 houses for what 1 costs here in OC. I love how people list how much more they make or would make in southern California like its some huge benefit. Its not at all because you are living in one of the most expensive places in the country.
Again, it's what each of us think is important. I hate winter with a passion, and will happily pay to live where it is warmer. Having done the south (and fled hurricanes), I'll pass on the endless humidity, and will pay for a dryer climate as well. In the Midwest, we went directly from the cold, wet, spring, into a muggy, icky, summer. It's rarely temperate here.

Look at it this way: some people have to have the most expensive car and will work hard for it - others would rather have an economy car and use that extra money elsewhere. There is no law that says someone who hates luxury cars has to own one, or someone who hates driving an economy car must. They both have benefits - it's up to the driver.

I really wish the people who hate CA would just leave. There is a big, beautiful world to explore, and nothing is keeping you from living in it.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:30 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
No, I love it. I've left and always come back home. (for a reason)

Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes lower salaries because of a lower COL. The tax differences alone cover the difference and leave extra dollars for the costs that are a bit higher.

Yes it is humid, so what? Most of the US is and for many that is a blessing. My lips, throat and muscles love it, unlike when I was in CA.

Bugs? Well I own property in FL, drive there frequently and the bug situation is over rated unless you live in very southern FL. My wind shield is cleaner than it was in CA, from dead bugs.

Car insurance is a bit higher in FL, but yearly registration is quite a bit lower and then throw in the difference in Gas cost and FL is still ahead.

I have lived in CA for 50 years and out of it for 18 years, though divided over several in and out moves. I have lived in 7 States around the US from East to West and North to South. CA is still my favorite State but it has a LOT of problems and they are getting worse. Mind you no State is perfect, so one should learn the good and bad before moving anywhere, not just dream of the positives. I am glad I lived in OC when I did, the best time the State of CA had, and far better than now.

I am actually looking to move to FL or buy a 2nd home there and I have and will be visiting every month over the next year or so. Just as CA has cold, warm and hot areas, and real bad areas, so does FL, just not quite the wide temperatures swings the State of CA sees. Then the warm water is soooooooooooo much better than the cold water in CA.

Is FL paradise, nope and neither is CA. Both have pluses and minuses and it is for each person to evaluate what is important to them.

It's easy to say you don't mind humidity when you actually haven't lived in a place like FL that is miserable with high humidity most of the year. When you can't even sit outside at night because it feels like you're in a sauna.

You're talking second home, which means "snowbirds", sure it's easy to live in FL for 4 months out of the year, the come in late November and leave by Easter time. Much different than living there year round, or being a working person who has dress for work and can't run around in t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops all the time.

You're right, most of the US is humid, but it comes to an end by fall, states like GA, NC, SC which are very hot and humid start to cool down, FL does not until Dec. And by cool down I mean comfortable weather where you don't want to go back inside within 5 minutes.

Sorry, I was in the Tampa area, tons of bugs. They have Palmetto Bugs, which are flying cockroaches. They're everywhere, oh and Lovebugs that invade twice a year, they stick your car, all over.

Learned very quickly you NEVER stick your hand in the mailbox without taking a good look inside first. It's amazing the number of bugs and spiders you come across everyday.

The only time FL sees any range in temps is in the winter. From Miami to Tampa to Orlando the weather is the same within a few degrees most of the year. There is no taking a drive by the ocean to get 15 to 20 degree temps that are cooler.

And no going to the mountains, I don't like flat as a pancake land. Boring.

Everyone is different, but I don't find going to the beach where it is just as hot as it is 30 miles inland and water(red tide is a big problem on the Gulf) that feels like a hot bath refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
Again, it's what each of us think is important. I hate winter with a passion, and will happily pay to live where it is warmer. Having done the south (and fled hurricanes), I'll pass on the endless humidity, and will pay for a dryer climate as well. In the Midwest, we went directly from the cold, wet, spring, into a muggy, icky, summer. It's rarely temperate here.

Look at it this way: some people have to have the most expensive car and will work hard for it - others would rather have an economy car and use that extra money elsewhere. There is no law that says someone who hates luxury cars has to own one, or someone who hates driving an economy car must. They both have benefits - it's up to the driver.

I really wish the people who hate CA would just leave. There is a big, beautiful world to explore, and nothing is keeping you from living in it.
Well said.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
It's easy to say you don't mind humidity when you actually haven't lived in a place like FL that is miserable with high humidity most of the year. When you can't even sit outside at night because it feels like you're in a sauna.
Actually I have lived for over 13 years in States with such humidity (Excluding Southern FL). I do know,

Quote:
You're talking second home, which means "snowbirds", sure it's easy to live in FL for 4 months out of the year, the come in late November and leave by Easter time. Much different than living there year round, or being a working person who has dress for work and can't run around in t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops all the time.
No I am talking about moving.

Quote:
You're right, most of the US is humid, but it comes to an end by fall, states like GA, NC, SC which are very hot and humid start to cool down, FL does not until Dec. And by cool down I mean comfortable weather where you don't want to go back inside within 5 minutes.
Northern FL cools down way ahead of Southern FL and North central does as well. Just like all of CA is not like OC, so all ofFL is not like the Keys.

Quote:
Sorry, I was in the Tampa area, tons of bugs. They have Palmetto Bugs, which are flying cockroaches. They're everywhere, oh and Lovebugs that invade twice a year, they stick your car, all over.
Well CA has bugs and snakes, etc as welland so what?

Quote:
Learned very quickly you NEVER stick your hand in the mailbox without taking a good look inside first. It's amazing the number of bugs and spiders you come across everyday.
Having onc carried Mail in OC I can tell you that is wise in CA as well.

Quote:
The only time FL sees any range in temps is in the winter. From Miami to Tampa to Orlando the weather is the same within a few degrees most of the year. There is no taking a drive by the ocean to get 15 to 20 degree temps that are cooler.
Check Pensacola, Destin, Jacksonville and even Lake City, where you can get below freezing temps.

Quote:
And no going to the mountains, I don't like flat as a pancake land. Boring.

Everyone is different, but I don't find going to the beach where it is just as hot as it is 30 miles inland and water(red tide is a big problem on the Gulf) that feels like a hot bath refreshing.
And I prefer warm beaches to the cold ones of CA and would trade Mountains for a beach any day. Yes to each their own, just don't paint with such a broad brush what you don't like.

Oh, the water has never felt like a warm bath and I have been to the ocean from Kitty Hawk to the Keys as well as the Gulf. Any thing below body temp will feel cool. In CA it is like a cold shower and stays cold.

But if you enjoy it have fun. I prefer CA weather to FL, but the other negatives make that of less importance.

I love CA, just hate what has been done to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County