U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,619 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am taking a job transfer to a position that is located in Cypress, CA. I have been looking at apartments online, and the reviews on a lot of them are hit-or-miss unless you go 1800+ on the rent for a 1BR. I would really like to stay around $1600/month or less if possible (or somewhat close). Does anyone have any ideas of good apartments in this area? I would like to keep the commute to a minimum, under 15-20 minutes with traffic in the AM. Also want the area to be pretty safe.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:26 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,234,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2socal View Post
Hello everyone,

I am taking a job transfer to a position that is located in Cypress, CA. I have been looking at apartments online, and the reviews on a lot of them are hit-or-miss unless you go 1800+ on the rent for a 1BR. I would really like to stay around $1600/month or less if possible (or somewhat close). Does anyone have any ideas of good apartments in this area? I would like to keep the commute to a minimum, under 15-20 minutes with traffic in the AM. Also want the area to be pretty safe.

Thanks for your help!
Where are you now? It would help if you could come and see first. Cypress in general is pretty safe.

Not sure about specific apartments but it would seem you should be able to find a good 1br in that area for well under $1600. Best to look at older but well kept apartments and small (12 units and under) complexes.
Those huge numbers will charge you up the ying-yang because of all the bells and whistles (tennis courts, gym, fancy-pants landscaping, etc.). Were the ones you were seeing in Cypress only, or in various places?

If Cypress is proving to be a challenge costwise, try adjacent parts of Buena Park, Stanton (yes, I said Stanton), Garden Grove or Anaheim. That part of Anaheim close to Cypress is sketchy with regard to apartments but it is an option. You might go with the east side of Long Beach also, which has an edge that touches Cypress.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 AM

I am moving from Indianapolis. After doing some more research I have been able to find a lot of properties in the sub 1600 range, but it's hard to tell by the reviews if it is a good property, due to either lack of reviews or mixed reviews by tenants.

I have been looking at Buena Park, but some people said there was gang activity and it was not a very nice area. I'd also be interested in looking at Long Beach, Stanton, Garden Grove, or Anaheim, but I have no frame of reference as to if these are nice or poor communities. I've heard a lot of people say to avoid Anaheim. My biggest concern is the safety of my apartment, and the ability to walk outside safely during the daytime.

One last question, I have a girlfriend who is likely moving with me, and she is planning on getting her license once she moves out to CA. Is it realistic for someone to take the bus around these areas? I'm not expecting any robust transportation system (Indy's bus system is terrible), just something that she can actually use for a few months to get to work until she gets her license. I plan on picking her up from work at night just to ensure her safety.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,159,824 times
I would recommend staying in a Motel for the first week before you commit to anything as you will be the final judge of what you like or don't like.
This way will minimize any regrets caused by hasty decisions.
There are a lot of motels in Buena Park on Beach Blvd. around Knott's Berry farm

Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,652,824 times
The motel option is probably a good idea, though not sure about the ones on Beach Blvd. Knott's Berry Farm area is much better than the southern portion in Stanton.

You really need to see the place in person. Google maps will help you see if there are other apts on the street, which may mean really bad street parking. It could take 30 minutes to an hour to find parking in some locations. Even if the area looks good, you can't tell what life is unless you go inside the complex--loud kids running around?

And you can't always judge a neighborhood just because it's ugly on the outside. My last apt was not pretty, but we were the only complex on the street, so parking was plentiful. The complex was clean and pretty and quiet. I loved it there. Rent was cheap too. No vacancies right now though.

Also look in Westminster (where my old apt was) and Lakewood.

Regarding the bus...well, I have to say I haven't taken the bus since I was in high school. From what I know, yes, you can get around by bus, metrotrain, etc., but it is quite the hassle. But where would your gfriend's job be? If close by, it could be just one short bus ride. If she has to transfer buses, it's a time waster. At least it'd be short-term until she gets her driver's license.

There's always Uber. I know people who have used it and really like it. BTW, when you guys go to the DMV for your license, make an appt online to save yourself time at the office. The DMV has been swamped ever since the new law allowing illegal immigrants to get licenses.

Good luck and I hope you guys enjoy it here.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am flying out this weekend to finalize some things, and will be looking at apartments. Going to try to find something in Cypress, as it seems to be the safest bet. If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know, as I will be looking! Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I am moving from Indianapolis. After doing some more research I have been able to find a lot of properties in the sub 1600 range, but it's hard to tell by the reviews if it is a good property, due to either lack of reviews or mixed reviews by tenants.

I have been looking at Buena Park, but some people said there was gang activity and it was not a very nice area. I'd also be interested in looking at Long Beach, Stanton, Garden Grove, or Anaheim, but I have no frame of reference as to if these are nice or poor communities. I've heard a lot of people say to avoid Anaheim. My biggest concern is the safety of my apartment, and the ability to walk outside safely during the daytime.

One last question, I have a girlfriend who is likely moving with me, and she is planning on getting her license once she moves out to CA. Is it realistic for someone to take the bus around these areas? I'm not expecting any robust transportation system (Indy's bus system is terrible), just something that she can actually use for a few months to get to work until she gets her license. I plan on picking her up from work at night just to ensure her safety.

Thanks so much for your help!
Not all of Buena Park has gang activity; it is fairly spread out.

Please re-read my recommendations; the parts adjoining Cypress are ok, to sum up. Anaheim is the only issue but there are areas closer in to downtown that are good for apartments.

All those communities around the Cypress area are typically fair - to - middling . Long Beach is a large city but the eastern side closest to Cypress is affluent. Stanton is lower-middle class generally but I figure if my blond-haired blue-eyed female friend can buy a condo there and be content with it then you will be ok as well; I think she is in the part closest to Cypress, which is the better side. Garden Grove is working to middle class; the part closest to Cypress is generally the newest and considered the best, especially for renting. Anaheim is also a large city (neither it nor LB is as large as Indy but still having tons of neighborhoods) with much to choose from. The part farthest from Cypress (Anaheim "Hills"--92807 and 92808 zip codes) is the most affluent but would involve congested freeway driving. Downtown Anaheim might be an option for you. I lived there for almost three years and enjoyed it. I had a cute little studio that was (probably still is) well below market value but not sure if the complex has any vacancies right now.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Not all of Buena Park has gang activity; it is fairly spread out.

Please re-read my recommendations; the parts adjoining Cypress are ok, to sum up. Anaheim is the only issue but there are areas closer in to downtown that are good for apartments.

All those communities around the Cypress area are typically fair - to - middling . Long Beach is a large city but the eastern side closest to Cypress is affluent. Stanton is lower-middle class generally but I figure if my blond-haired blue-eyed female friend can buy a condo there and be content with it then you will be ok as well; I think she is in the part closest to Cypress, which is the better side. Garden Grove is working to middle class; the part closest to Cypress is generally the newest and considered the best, especially for renting. Anaheim is also a large city (neither it nor LB is as large as Indy but still having tons of neighborhoods) with much to choose from. The part farthest from Cypress (Anaheim "Hills"--92807 and 92808 zip codes) is the most affluent but would involve congested freeway driving. Downtown Anaheim might be an option for you. I lived there for almost three years and enjoyed it. I had a cute little studio that was (probably still is) well below market value but not sure if the complex has any vacancies right now.
Thanks mrsltd,

Do you remember the name of the complex? If you have any other specific suggestions, I would be open to checking them out! Thanks.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 AM

810 posts, read 1,652,824 times
You should check craigslist and all the classifieds now to try and set up an appt with the manager or owner. They don't always pick up the phone the first time and may not be available when you want them to be.

Cypress is a pretty city. I hope you like it here this weekend.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks mrsltd,

Do you remember the name of the complex? If you have any other specific suggestions, I would be open to checking them out! Thanks.
Complex has no real name. PM me for the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County