Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm taking a job at UCI medical center - never been to Orange County before. I've been looking at places online in Costa Mesa and google maps seems to indicate that traffic in the morning from Costa Mesa to UCI med center (Costa Mesa Freeway -> 5 northbound) and reverse in the evening are pretty decent. Is this accurate?

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM

347 posts, read 663,082 times
You will get a bit of traffic in the morning going north on the 55 right at the 405 and also on the 5 north onramp off the 55, but that's about it.

In the afternoon, there is a bit of traffic on the 5 in Santa Ana, but other than that you're golden.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM

56 posts, read 101,326 times
It really depends on your work hours. My husband works at UCI Med Center and we live in Lake Forest (about 17 miles), he leaves around 7 am and it takes him about 20 minutes. Coming home, if he leaves around 4:30 he's home in about 30 minutes, anything after 5pm it takes him longer. I can't speak for the 55, but I know it can get pretty congested during rush hours.

One thing to keep in mind, is that UCI employees (unless you're a physician) must park at the Crystal Cathedral and either walk the few blocks or take the shuttle to the campus, so allow yourself at least an additional ten minutes.

Congratulations on your new job!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,916 times
Appreciate the replies. I'll have roughly the same hours as your husband, cgk2013, so it sounds good.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM

277 posts, read 361,782 times
At 5 PM the 55 SB at the 405 is pretty much gridlocked. The 55 has more than a bit of traffic. It is a full on traffic jam during rush hour. I'd consider surface streets but not sure it will be much better. The good news is CM to UCI isn't too far. Don't let anyone tell you other wise. It is a mess. I base my opinion on driving 40+ years in the OC. Traffic is one of the reasons I left.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:28 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdawhat View Post
Hello,

I'm taking a job at UCI medical center - never been to Orange County before. I've been looking at places online in Costa Mesa and google maps seems to indicate that traffic in the morning from Costa Mesa to UCI med center (Costa Mesa Freeway -> 5 northbound) and reverse in the evening are pretty decent. Is this accurate?

Thanks a lot
The 55 is usually atrocious. Better off taking Bristol to Main (though you'd have to weave through lotsa traffic lights and buses). Give or take 25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County