U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 12:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,080,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh-Huh View Post
It's not ridiculous at all. The city's demographics account for Irvine as a whole. The new villages have a much, much higher percentage of asians since asians favor new homes over resales. Just visit the grand opening of any new home community and you will see for yourself. It is a sea of asians. 95% would be a good estimate. Irvine is regarded by asians as a Chinatown.

U.S. Asians Drawn To Life in Irvine

"...just beneath the surface lies another Irvine, one of Buddhist temples and teahouses, a city with bustling Chinese markets and a university where nearly half the students are Asian. Once the epitome of conservative, white suburbia, Irvine is now a place where a person can spend a lifetime never having to speak English.

"I used to think I would retire someday and move to Chinatown," said Yvonne Wang, who moved to Irvine from New Jersey in 1994. "Now Irvine is like Chinatown."

there maybe a lot of Asians but it has not become another Chinatown.

its still suburbia for me, just like cities around it like Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, RSM etc

if an Arc will be put up at Interstate 5 with Chinese characters, in lieu of the IRVINE sign after the KIA building, like all the Chinatowns you can find from Manila to New York, then you can say that Irvine is really an Asian city
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:59 PM

451 posts, read 1,080,417 times
Wow-some people here make it sound like " too many Asians" is always a negative (but, to each to their own- it is a free country and we are entitled to our own preferences. Do people complain if a city is "too white"? But, I wonder if people would say the same thing if let's say Irvine has a growing number of Swedish people directly from Sweden who speak mostly Swedish (though, I know in real life many Swedes speak English very well) and a bunch of Swedish businesses open up. (I'm just creating a hypothetical).

I think some people here have mischaracterized the demographics of Irvine. The way they characterize the population of Irvine would make some who know nothing about Irvine to think Irvine is 95% Asian or 95% Chinese. That is far from the truth. Statistical data of Irvine does not support that and I also live in Irvine can observe. Yes, there are lots of Asians who live in Irvine.

Here is one statistical chart of Irvine's population: https://suburbanstats.org/population...live-in-irvine

If anything, if you are not comfortable living with mostly Asian and White people, then Irvine is not the city for you to live in. And if you are African-American or Latino and want a city with largely proportions of African-Americans or Latinos, then Irvine would not be the city for you.

As for me- I am Asian-American, but personally would not want to live in city (in the US) that is 95% Asian (which Irvine is not right now and nowhere close to that for now). But I also would not want to live in city in the US that is 95% White or 95% Latino or 95% African-American. I personally prefer a little mix. And again I want to emphasize, Irvine is not 95% Asian- stats still show slightly more White people than Asian. I do suspect that Persians are classified as White, since there are no separate category for them. So, granted, the White-European descendant population in Irvine may be slightly lower than stats, but I still their numbers are not less than the Asian population in Irvine.

Finally, this is a free country- if Asians want to move to Irvine- they have a right to chose to live there. If you don't like it with too many Asians in Irvine, you also have a right to chose to live in another city- you've got plenty of other choices. There are plenty of cities the US that are largely plain vanilla.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:39 PM

57 posts, read 64,504 times
Quote:
If you don't live in Little Italy, does that mean you have an inferiority complex? No. It just means the characteristics of that area do not appeal to a lot of people. It is for a niche audience. Regarding Irvine, not everybody shops at 99 Ranch or Zion Market. Not everybody wants to eat at Boiling Point or Mongolian Hot Pot. Not everyone needs ten Kumons near them. Not everyone has to have Bambu Desserts, Tapioca Express, 85 C and a hundred other identical Asian dessert places near them. To be clear, I am not saying there is anything wrong with those things. Irvine is probably a good place for Asians who want a similar experience to back home especially if they do not have the language skills coming here. However, I have MANY friends who say, "Irvine is too Asian... and I'm Asian!!!" Even for ABCs, it can be too Asian.
This is gross over-exaggeration.
Yes, there are "ethnic" niche type establishments in Irvine, but that is true all over Orange County, not just Irvine. Typical American suburban chain retailers, grocers and restaurants still dominate-- Target, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Ralphs, Albertson, Trader Joes, Olive Garden, etc etc. Additionally, these ethnic type establishments have signage in English and more often in not, use English as the language for transactions since the Asians are not all from one culture, but have different languages (Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc) or are americanized 2nd generation Asians who feel more comfortable using English than the language of their immigrant parents. Irvine may have a higher than average percentage of Asian residents compared to some parts of OC, but its actually much more pan-asian than one dominant culture, including South Asians and Southeast Asians. Of course, maybe to some folks, all asians look alike, and so the assumptions are that all them asians must be chinamen! That's like saying Italians, Germans and Swedes are all the same.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,258,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
other than their priority to education, I don't see what values are you talking about that is not American?
That's like saying "other than poverty, I don't see what makes Haiti less desirable than Switzerland".

Yeah, it's education. That reason is reason enough. The Chinese in Irvine are insanely focused on test scores and achievement.

Most people don't share the same values, hence non-Asians prefer other communities. Prices are far higher in Corona del Mar, yet test scores are far lower. Very few Chinese in CDM High.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,717,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Wow-some people here make it sound like " too many Asians" is always a negative (but, to each to their own- it is a free country and we are entitled to our own preferences. Do people complain if a city is "too white"? But, I wonder if people would say the same thing if let's say Irvine has a growing number of Swedish people directly from Sweden who speak mostly Swedish (though, I know in real life many Swedes speak English very well) and a bunch of Swedish businesses open up. (I'm just creating a hypothetical).

I think some people here have mischaracterized the demographics of Irvine. The way they characterize the population of Irvine would make some who know nothing about Irvine to think Irvine is 95% Asian or 95% Chinese. That is far from the truth. Statistical data of Irvine does not support that and I also live in Irvine can observe. Yes, there are lots of Asians who live in Irvine.

Here is one statistical chart of Irvine's population: https://suburbanstats.org/population...live-in-irvine

If anything, if you are not comfortable living with mostly Asian and White people, then Irvine is not the city for you to live in. And if you are African-American or Latino and want a city with largely proportions of African-Americans or Latinos, then Irvine would not be the city for you.

As for me- I am Asian-American, but personally would not want to live in city (in the US) that is 95% Asian (which Irvine is not right now and nowhere close to that for now). But I also would not want to live in city in the US that is 95% White or 95% Latino or 95% African-American. I personally prefer a little mix. And again I want to emphasize, Irvine is not 95% Asian- stats still show slightly more White people than Asian. I do suspect that Persians are classified as White, since there are no separate category for them. So, granted, the White-European descendant population in Irvine may be slightly lower than stats, but I still their numbers are not less than the Asian population in Irvine.

Finally, this is a free country- if Asians want to move to Irvine- they have a right to chose to live there. If you don't like it with too many Asians in Irvine, you also have a right to chose to live in another city- you've got plenty of other choices. There are plenty of cities the US that are largely plain vanilla.
Good points.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:55 AM

13 posts, read 14,650 times
Quote:
Dude. Every single one of your own links backs up what I said -- safe among BIG cities. To paraphrase you, did you even bother to read your own links before posting them? lol
Sorry, I misinterpreted your argument. Were you actually suggesting that we're not supposed to compare cities of similar size together? And that the fact Irvine ranks well against these cities is a negative?

Quote:
Looks like someone has never been to El Camino Real.
LOL if you think that area is anywhere near ghetto status then you need a serious reality check. Show me some Google street view or something that suggests this.

Quote:
It is a sea of asians. 95% would be a good estimate.
News flash: certain neighborhoods have higher concentrations of different ethnicity than others. We're talking about the city of Irvine as a whole, in which most of the neighborhoods have a white plurality (if you care about that so much).
Also why the hell are you estimating the percentage. Check out this map and change it to "Races - Asian alone (%)" No area is more than 60% it looks like. If you can find evidence to the contrary then go for it.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:33 PM

380 posts, read 227,524 times
<called balkanization>
Irvine chinese
santa ana mexico
westminster vietnam
garden grove korea
Corona Del Mar old rich money !

people feel comfortable around people who have same traits, culture,
educational levels, and beliefs...when English is not spoken in public
and the workplace is when fear and distrust start surfacing.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 AM

161 posts, read 135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post

Irvine is definitely not 95% Asian but there is no way in the world that the statistical data that can be found online is true either. In real life its probably closer to 95 than whatever percentage points is shown on the website. Go to the spectrum mall any time any day and just count first 100 people you see. Not only the Chinese/Korean will outnumber white people but most likely middle eastern people will outnumber them also all by themselves. Same goes for other cities. For example Westminster is listed on city-data to be 24% white. I'm often in Westminster and the only white person there is a homeless guy at the bus stop.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 AM

451 posts, read 1,080,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
Irvine is definitely not 95% Asian but there is no way in the world that the statistical data that can be found online is true either. In real life its probably closer to 95 than whatever percentage points is shown on the website. Go to the spectrum mall any time any day and just count first 100 people you see. Not only the Chinese/Korean will outnumber white people but most likely middle eastern people will outnumber them also all by themselves. Same goes for other cities. For example Westminster is listed on city-data to be 24% white. I'm often in Westminster and the only white person there is a homeless guy at the bus stop.
I don't think going around Irvine Spectrum is an accurate gage of the demographics of Irvine- for one thing that is assuming that everybody shopping there or hanging out there lives in Irvine (which we should all know that not everybody shopping or hanging out there lives in Irvine). If some person not from Irvine goes and shops of hangs out at Diamond Jamboree in Irvine, they would think Irvine is 95% Asian. But, we all know that most of the businesses at Diamond Jamboree are catering to Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans, etc. (and perhaps non-Asians who would eat or like Asian food). As a result, a large portion of the people hanging out at Diamond Jamboree would be of Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean or other Asian background, but not necessarily a cross-section of Irvine (granted a sizable portion of Irvine's population, but not a true cross section of Irvine's population. You would need to go around the whole city. White people are not a rare species in Irvine either.

But, I guess some people here emphasizing how "Asian" Irvine is may have a fear like this lady in this article about the City of Alhambra (or fear Irvine will become like Alhambra):

In Alhambra, demographic shift reaches the grocery store - LA Times

Again to each to their own.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 AM

6,550 posts, read 4,090,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
Go to the spectrum mall any time any day and just count first 100 people you see.
Ha, I take my blonde teenage daughter there often and when she is in Brandy Melville, I can't find her because everyone else in there is also a blonde teenage girl. It all depends on where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or