Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:28 PM

282 posts, read 444,979 times

Advertisements

First let me say that there are many things that I love about living here in Orange County.

Perfect weather, truly perfect, and all year round.
Warm all year round
No humidity
No bugs (no mosquitos or cockroaches, especially)
Beautiful scenery
Palm Trees (even though I know they are not native to CA!)
The vast beautiful lovely ocean
Large and beautiful beaches
Nice cars everywhere
Close to Hollywood
Lots of wealth and opportunity

Why could I possibly consider moving with all this perfection?

Well, it's not perfect. It has the above awesome things, and although these are great, if you make under $750,000 per year then it is not prudent or sustainable to live here.

Let's get into the bad things.

Firstly, the COST. I am 30 now and looking to move forward with my life. I would like to buy a house. However, $750,000 for a house just isn't going to do it. I am a firm believer that you should not spend money you do not have. That means NO MORTGAGES.

Which brings me to the big #2: TAXES. Not only is the income tax absurd, property taxes combined with the inflated outrageous housing costs just make property taxes all the higher. For property taxes alone not including the house cost, you could own a 2 story house in most places other than here.

Second fact about #2 strongly affects me. I am a small business owner, I own a web company. California is listed as #48 for the absolute worst business climate in the United States! (The only worse ones are New York and Hawaii!) So being a small business owner, this state is a really bad place to run a small business with regards to taxes and sustainability.

So with #1 and #2, it is not financially prudent to live here, without becoming a wage slave to mortgages and giving up your life to work 60 hour weeks in wage mills just to become a slave to income and property taxes.

And moving to an area with cheaper housing and not an option because if I want to pay <$300,000 for a small 1500 square foot house then not only am I 1) far from the beach, which partly defeats the purpose of living here, but 2) those are the poor international areas with high crime, gangs, and generally the remaining low class trash that's left over.

And then finally the #3 reason I want to move, is because most of southern california is no longer "America" per se. For example, I'm in Irvine now, and I rarely see a white person. Everyone is Asian, and the few that aren't are Mexican, Indian (from Indian), or middle-eastern. I don't have anything against asians, mexicans indians from india or middle-easterns. But you see the problem is these are quite literally not Americans - they are only visitors who are here for a temporary job or school, and they send all their income out of our economy and back home to their own country. So basically they are using up Americans jobs, contributing zero to the American economy, and refusing to assimilate. I have talked to some who literally outright told me, "I send all my earnings back to my country and I only plan on staying for a couple years and then heading back". And they didn't see anything wrong with that!

This overpopulation of foreigners also limits potential dating options, because I am not interested in dating other races. I am not attracted to them. I am only attracted to people of my own race. The very few white people here are dating foreigners, and it's obviously out of necessity not preference. It's like, stay single or data someone from another race. Me, I'd prefer to stay single or (and) move.

And then the lack of respect for American culture or traditions is the whole reason I am on the internet here on the 4th of July. My current roommate for my over $2000/mo small (but luxurious, yes) 2 bedroom apartment is a muslim (good luck finding an American roommate here). Since he is a Muslim, this is his "fasting month", and as a result of his fasting, he doesn't want to leave the house because literally he is starving and according to his foreign tradition he can't eat anything until after 8pm. So he won't do anything for 4th of July with me today because he's too hungry and is worried about being more hungry and thirsty (his fasting doesn't even let him drink water! absurd.) I hate this. Most people around here barely even care about the 4th of July, because how could you when you're just a visitor and don't care about American traditions (and don't respect them either)! I walked around the apartment complex, there are NO cookouts, no fireworks, people walking and driving around like it's just another day. Not like it's one of the most important celebrations in American history. Because they are not American and they don't care! I hate this, it's like I'm not even living in America!

So between these three factors, it seems to be unsustainable to live here. It was a fun time here and lovely enjoying a slice of paradise (weather-wise), but the sad thing is it's like living in another country. If I wanted to live in another country I could move to the Mediterranean region of france and have paradise along with people of my own race. Sure it would be a new culture but socal is also a new culture, I have to adapt to communist asian, middle-eastern muslim, and idian cultures here in socal. But I don't want a foreign culture in my won country! If I wanted a foreign culture, I would move to that culture.

Sure, I could move to Thousand Oaks which is less international and more affordable than OC and LA, and it's near the beach. However with a median housing price of $500,000 for a relatively small house, I could have an ultra mansion anywhere in the southeast coast in the most expensive areas, looking over the ocean (the equivalent of a 5 million dollar home in socal).

And one last thing negative about socal: #4: crappy overpopulated beaches with a cold ocean.
The east coast has a warm, pleasant ocean. But the west coast ocean is frigid - and I specifically hate cold water! And the beaches here in SoCal are overcrowded. It's just not what I think of when I think of going to the ocean. I don't like it. Sure there are some more secluded beaches which are great. But they are in isolated areas not easily accessible (without a long drive), and again the water is cold.

There are a few other negatives:
a lot of trashy people
so many tattoos
somewhat boring (although not everywhere)
people are rather ditsy
few truly intellectual people
too many liberals (OC is not too bad though but it's getting progressively worse, no pun intended!)
traffic / long commute times is also an issue for most people, although I really don't care about it too much, especially since I work from home.

But I could bear all these other negatives if not for the #1 #2 and #3 above because the benefits outweigh the other issues. But the benefits do not outweigh the #1 #2 and #3 bad things about California.

So I am thinking about moving and bearing the negatives of the east coast for the benefits. Plus, there was a graduate school I was planning to go to in north/south carolina which is the reason I had even looked at it in the first place.

Note: And before you say try Seattle or Oregon, I tried Seattle for a couple years before here and it is so miserable there! I hated it! The weather is wretched, which is the primary reason I moved from Seattle. Oregon has its own problems and I am not interested in there, plus it's colder there.

Also it's worth nothing that the Northeast might not have the #3 problem as bad, but it does have the #1 and #2 problems (albeit not near as bad as CA), plus it's cold there. And I like it warm.

So what do you think? Have you considered the move or done the opposite? What are your feelings about either place? Would you make the move one way or the other? Do you agree with the points I made? Share your thoughts.

Moderator cut: Closed per original poster request

Last edited by bhcompy; 07-05-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 PM

-

Old 07-04-2015, 10:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 928,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post

So what do you think? Have you considered the move or done the opposite? What are your feelings about either place? Would you make the move one way or the other? Do you agree with the points I made? Share your thoughts.

You should move out of California, it'll be a win-win.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
You should move out of California, it'll be a win-win.
Why don't you go back to your own country.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 PM

109 posts, read 140,403 times
I find it hard to believe you were never attracted to anyone of a different race.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by des91 View Post
I find it hard to believe you were never attracted to anyone of a different race.
How can you say who I am attracted to? How about I say I find it hard to believe you ARE attracted to people of a different race? It would be just as wrong. How about I say your favorite color can't be green because mine isn't? Who do you think you are? How can you be so self-absorbed and arrogant?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 PM

109 posts, read 140,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
How can you say who I am attracted to? How about I say I find it hard to believe you ARE attracted to people of a different race? It would be just as wrong. How about I say your favorite color can't be green because mine isn't? Who do you think you are? How can you be so self-absorbed and arrogant?
I guess you're right, maybe it's just I'm used to California and seeing many different races, that it's hard for me to imagine just being attracted to one.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by des91 View Post
I guess you're right, maybe it's just I'm used to California and seeing many different races, that it's hard for me to imagine just being attracted to one.
Well I guess that makes sense, you're used to it by now. But I'm not.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 PM

83 posts, read 179,539 times
I'm Asian but I could care less if you're racist lol. I suggest Nevada. You will have the same weather(hotter but just as sunny, if not sunnier), a much better tax rate, and much fewer of us scary "minorities" to deal with. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Imo the best thing for you is to move out of California. Sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County