Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,638,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
On a side note, why do a lot of people choose California over Texas or Florida? Those places also have nice weather year-round (as in warm weather all year). Florida doesn't usually get extremely hot in the summer either.

Texas has over 25 million people, and Florida has about 18 million, and those are the next two most populated states after California. Neither of those places have a cost of living as high as that, and many people go to southern Florida for vacation in the winter.
I think that's he first time I've heard someone say that Texas has nice weather year round.

Crazy snow & ice storm in the winter and 40 straight days of triple digit mercury temps straight up sucks. (this happened in Dallas I believe 2 years ago) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:07 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,069,759 times
Quote:
On a side note, why do a lot of people choose California over Texas or Florida? Those places also have nice weather year-round (as in warm weather all year). Florida doesn't usually get extremely hot in the summer either.

Texas has over 25 million people, and Florida has about 18 million, and those are the next two most populated states after California. Neither of those places have a cost of living as high as that, and many people go to southern Florida for vacation in the winter.
I just spoke to a guy (Lexus sales rep) who moved from TX to CA. He says the TX weather is HORRIBLE. We're talking Sticky Humid weather.

He says the only good thing TX is the dirt cheap real estate and the huge lot they come with compared to the tiny yards you get in CA. Yet, it still chooses to stay in CA.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,056,196 times
Because Santa Ana is the ghetto!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM

807 posts, read 892,072 times
Quote:

First reason is most likely to be for jobs. There are some industries that exist in California in strength and numbers that simply don't exist in Florida and Texas and many of these happen to be more stable and well-paying in nature.

There's also image. Rightly or wrongly, we know that Florida and Texas have some negative image stereotypes mixed in among their positive stereotypes. For some folks, that's enough to make up their minds with. Don't blame me, there are simply lots of people who let simple stereotypes stand in for detailed analysis. The strength and reputation of the image matters too; consider California's reputation compared to Florida and Texas as vacation destinations. I'm sure each state offers different strengths but which has the more desirable ones is what will answer your question best. "Desirable" could be something that you measure by total tourist dollars, by number of different nations that visitors come from, by some kind of average of the socioeconomic background of all visitors, by types of culture sought for example movie-inspired visitors, money-inspired visitors or nature-inspired visitors, and so on and so forth.

There's the underlying factors that serve as the basis for the images. The weather in California is (was?) generally better because while we have a lot of the same heat, we have far less humidity. In general and on average that is, since we're comparing states here. Our strongest industries tend to be in technology derived from the sciences and so for some, there may be the perception of an educational difference that attracts city-folk from other areas. We do not have the same numbers of people who publicly and loudly show disrespect for the sciences and higher education that fuel most of the decent paying jobs here.

Again, note that I'm using some broad generalizations but you were asking about states as a whole so I'm just providing broad and vague answers to your broad and vague questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I think that's he first time I've heard someone say that Texas has nice weather year round.

Crazy snow & ice storm in the winter and 40 straight days of triple digit mercury temps straight up sucks. (this happened in Dallas I believe 2 years ago) .
Maybe nice relative to the snow and ice of Midwestern winters. Could be that extreme heat is preferable for the people from there. The Midwest also tend to suffer humidity right? Maybe they're used to it and if they don't get dry heat often, they may forget the difference that it makes.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 PM

108 posts, read 124,514 times
Ugh... whoever said Florida isn't hot in summer can't possible have lived there... The past 18 months I've been in Central Florida for work... stupid hot! Don't even speak of humidity. I've seen more rain in 18 months than 42 years combined in CA...

Last edited by ZeusMutation; 07-29-2015 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: removed text

Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,771,526 times
I don't know anyone personally who is crammed into an apt, but I've read about them in the newspaper. They simply can't afford to rent an apt on their own. Some may work minimum wage. And work several jobs even just to survive! I've read stories about families of 4 or 5 sharing a bedroom. I forget how much rent is, but it's better than being homeless.

There's no privacy, no space and you deal with cockroaches, etc. Yes, it's awful, but what can you do?

One Hispanic couple in LA wakes up before dawn to pick cans to recycle. Competition increased, so they had to work harder. Still, they are able to pay their rent and care for their 2 sons, the eldest of whom got a large scholarship to college (the reason why the paper featured them). Some of the poor are crammed into motels or garages. It's sad.

The garage: I'm cleaning out mine to make room for the kids to play. I park my car in the driveway or street.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 PM

823 posts, read 1,771,526 times
P.S. I've been to Florida once or twice and would never live there. Maybe there's a part of FL that isn't humid with swarms of bugs ready to attack you once you go outside? A black cloud literally came after my colleagues once they got out of the car. I'll take Orange County any day!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM

600 posts, read 819,944 times
Quote:

It's not just California. It's southern California in particular where everyone is flocking to. You can live low cost in California, just not the most desirable areas.

There are a lot of reason why people come to California. Weather, acting/entertainment, etc....

For me personally the weather is good, but it was not a big determining factor. I don't really mind the cold in the Midwest, I just hated driving in the snow. The snow was always a mess, pain to clean, and made driving dangerous. I usually never go to the beach either.

Cold temperatures ? Just wear more layers. It's a pretty simple fix.

The weather in Texas can be very humid. I had a friend from Houston who visited and said she was relived that her hair will actually stay in place while she is in CA until she has to go back.

Florida can also be very hot and humid as well. I have 2 brothers who live out there.

The upside is those 2 states (among more) have no state tax. That's a HUGE benefit compared to CA which has very high taxes.

At the end of the day unless you are very very wealthy everyone in California keeps fighting this vicious circle:

1. Live very far away and commute endless hours each week for a low cost but spacious living (Inland Empire). Most employment in Southern California is in LA County, OC, or San Diego County. Everyone else is living somewhere else and commuting there.

2. Stack up 50 people into a 1 bedroom apt in OC to make living in OC affordable and also shorter commute.

3. Make more money to buy a larger area in the OC or LA county that isn't crime ridden. (Not always possible to get a higher paying job).

4. Live in a very dangerous crime ridden area for cheap. I know someone who has a large 2 bedroom apartment in South Central LA near the 110. Cheap, but frequent homicides/shootings nearby. (He doesn't mind).

............Given option #3 isn't available to everyone, option #2 is the one selected usually.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:27 PM

347 posts, read 663,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Here we go again. Yet another illegal alien discussion and then a jab at Santa Ana. Everyone knows about this...next.
Seems like these posts are scheduled ahead of time.hahaha.

These posts just waste internet memory.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM

962 posts, read 626,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
At the end of the day unless you are very very wealthy everyone in California keeps fighting this vicious circle:

1. Live very far away and commute endless hours each week for a low cost but spacious living (Inland Empire). Most employment in Southern California is in LA County, OC, or San Diego County. Everyone else is living somewhere else and commuting there.

2. Stack up 50 people into a 1 bedroom apt in OC to make living in OC affordable and also shorter commute.

3. Make more money to buy a larger area in the OC or LA county that isn't crime ridden. (Not always possible to get a higher paying job).

4. Live in a very dangerous crime ridden area for cheap. I know someone who has a large 2 bedroom apartment in South Central LA near the 110. Cheap, but frequent homicides/shootings nearby. (He doesn't mind).

............Given option #3 isn't available to everyone, option #2 is the one selected usually.
Option #1 would be the easiest, and most preferable for me, personally. I'm the type of person who likes to commute about an hour to places in car rides on a regular basis.

There are places like Riverside, San Bernardino, and other suburban areas of LA that have a lower cost of living and are less than a two hour drive from LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County