Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Colorado City, Arizona has most of its households containing families with about 5-8 children in almost every house. That case is a little different because that place seems to have a lot of big families, as is the case for at least one of the Alaska towns listed on here.

Orange County has a bunch of STRANGERS living with each other in some houses. There's a difference.
Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM

962 posts, read 630,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Source?
Living Dangerously to Pay the Rent | Voice of OC

The Impacts of Crowded Living Spill Into OC’s Streets | Voice of OC

As for Colorado City, 83.1% households contain minors. (based on Census data from Wikipedia)

Only 5.9% of homes are non-families (houses with strangers living with each other, or unrelated people living together.

4.1% contain only one person in the house.

60.4% of the town's population are comprised of minors, more than half the population. That's a lot of children.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Living Dangerously to Pay the Rent | Voice of OC

The Impacts of Crowded Living Spill Into OC’s Streets | Voice of OC

As for Colorado City, 83.1% households contain minors. (based on Census data from Wikipedia)

Only 5.9% of homes are non-families (houses with strangers living with each other, or unrelated people living together.

4.1% contain only one person in the house.

60.4% of the town's population are comprised of minors, more than half the population. That's a lot of children.

LA is #1 and OC comes in second.

Has a lot to do with the cost of rent. So that answers the OP question.

And the avg of 4 people per household is not "insanely large" compared to the 9 people per household.

Last edited by incognitoe; 08-26-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Orange County has a bunch of STRANGERS living with each other in some houses. There's a difference.
No, just no. This is certainly not true for my neighborhood or develoment at all...we are not strangers.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Colorado City, Arizona has most of its households containing families with about 5-8 children in almost every house. That case is a little different because that place seems to have a lot of big families, as is the case for at least one of the Alaska towns listed on here.

Colorado City AZ also has a high Mormon population. So there's probably like 2 wives and 20 kids.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM

962 posts, read 630,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
LA is #1 and OC comes in second.

Has a lot to do with the cost of rent. So that answers the OP question.

And the avg of 4 people per household is not "insanely large" compared to the 9 people per household.
As I asked before, do some people there get paid a little more to try to even things out with the high cost of living?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Cities where women have the most babies.

Colorado City isn't one of them.

Cities Where Women Are Having the Most Babies - US News

Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
As I asked before, do some people there get paid a little more to try to even things out with the high cost of living?

I doubt people get paid more. Even so, it's not enough to cover the bubble.

The avg income in OC is 70k. 70k is not enough to purchase a $600k home.

At 70k, they only qualify for a 200k mortgage.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...-i-borrow.aspx

Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
No, just no. This is certainly not true for my neighborhood or develoment at all...we are not strangers.

What I am seeing in corp housing in Irvine......too many people living in 1 unit. My rent is 1700 at the Y. We have families with 2 cars and 2 small kids living in a 2 bdr apt. with only 1 assigned space and guess what..........no parking

So is our overcrowding as bad as it is in SA heck no but we have the same problem to a lesser degree.

When I was growing up in OC in 80's no middle class family would live with their 2 kids in a 2bdr apt none............unless you were really working class poor and people felt sorry and looked the other way kinda like they are doing today in some of the OC cities.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
According to the census, there were roughly 3 people per household in OC for the sample period of 2009-13.
Orange County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I imagine I could find the data for nonrelative households if I just dug a bit, but I won't. I suspect that there are a lot of these in OC, even in upper middle-class areas, since the COL is so high and a lot of young professionals are trying to save.

I know this is certainly the case in other high COL areas like Manhattan, and their existence is common knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County