Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 6,406 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm interested in Law Enforcement jobs.
I'm thinking of living in SD or OC or San Jose
So I'm interersted in SDPD,SDSO,CHP,IrvinePD,SJPD,OCSO,LagunaBeachPD..et c
I did some researches about each department's salary.

SDPD seemed to be lowest salary which is about $75~85K in average.
SDSO was a little bit higher than SDPD.
Dpeartments in OC area seemed to be higher than those 2 department above. about..90K~100K
And I don't remember SJPD

Although OC area's departments are paying very well, u know the cost of living in OC is cruel.
Especially in housing...

Anyway, are those salaries enough to live in a house or nice apartment that has at least 2~3bed?
Regarding to the cars,I don't need a mercedes. just nice mid sized sedan and SUV would be great.
Supposing that my wife makes over than 50K with 2 kids n 1 dogs.

Would it be possible? how do you guys think?
How much do i have to earn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:31 AM

192 posts, read 204,536 times
This data is a few years old, but the average Police Officer in California earns about 97,500 a year.

See what California cities pay police, firefighters | The Sacramento Bee

You can do the math based on individual department pay, the type of house and neighborhood you are willing to live in. Don't forget to add up all misc costs of living including property tax, income tax, insurance gas ect.

Just to put it into perspective. My wife's boss' husband works for a OC City PD, they both make good money have no kids and they still live in a Condo (that's not even in a beach city). I've got another friend who worked for OC Sheriff dept., he transferred to a central valley PD for several reasons, one of which I believe was to afford a good house in a good neighborhood.

On the other hand, I've got another good friend who lives in a nice Dallas, TX Suburb. He's only been on the PD for maybe 6-7 years, he is single, has a beautiful house, new Tahoe, new Harley Davidson and gets season tickets to the Stars every year. It seems like his quality of life is better than his counterparts here in California.

I happen to know a bunch of military active duty e-5 thru e-7 enlisted guys here in Socal. And I know of only 2 who actually own homes here (one is just a town home anyway)(they both were able to buy right when housing prices bottomed out). For the rest of them without inheriting a home from parents protected by prop 13, they simply cannot make it here and will for sure eventually retire out of state or work until they are 90. Other parts of the country such as Texas, Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, it's pretty common for AD E-5 and above to own modest homes.

I have several family members who have worked and/or retired from CA LE Agencies and I've also lived all over the country. IMHO, CHP is one the the greatest, most respectable and most professional LE Organizations in the world. CHP all the way. A big plus is that you can transfer to different locations all over California throughout your career.

https://youtu.be/VYKdayl7BHM

If you want a dream job. Be a CA fire fighter. It's the ultimate scam.

Last edited by coolbeans2000; 08-01-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 02:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Remember all taxable property is covered under Prop 13 without exception...

I'm sure those buying today will look back in 30 years fondly as the good old days... seems to happen in every generation... I know I hope to.

12 of my friends went right into law enforcement after a 2 year admin of justice program... they were like 20.5 or 21 years old.

All are now retired and enjoying life... most have 100k pensions with lifetime medical... one retired at 51 with 180k pension and lifetime medical and got bored... so went to work for another agency for another 130k

Others are being mister Mom to their families... they retired and have the time to spend with kids and grandkids... it's a big deal not having to worry about medical

My Uncle died in the line of duty in the 1960's and it's nothing like it is today... in fact... when I was in school... we had several dads that were law enforcement and all had side jobs until they made rank...

If you have the aptitude and people skills... it can be a great career... especially if the spouse is on board.

Not too long ago I attended the wedding of two high school sweethearts... they were both the first in their families to graduate college... he is African American and her family is from the Philippines... she is a registered nurse and he is a city police officer...

Here are two 25 year old kids without family money that had no trouble buying a home or starting a family... they had income of 230k with overtime... only in California.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember all taxable property is covered under Prop 13 without exception...
No kidding. I was referring to the people who've inherited homes previously purchased by their parents and are today paying near 1970's property tax rates via the revocable trust loophole. Apparently it "protects" certain people more than others.

Quote:
12 of my friends went right into law enforcement after a 2 year admin of justice program... they were like 20.5 or 21 years old.

All are now retired and enjoying life... most have 100k pensions with lifetime medical... one retired at 51 with 180k pension and lifetime medical and got bored... so went to work for another agency for another 130k

Others are being mister Mom to their families... they retired and have the time to spend with kids and grandkids... it's a big deal not having to worry about medical

My Uncle died in the line of duty in the 1960's and it's nothing like it is today... in fact... when I was in school... we had several dads that were law enforcement and all had side jobs until they made rank...

If you have the aptitude and people skills... it can be a great career... especially if the spouse is on board.
Watch out for people like Ultarunner who rave about how great a certain career field is but haven't done it themselves. Police Officers have significantly higher rates of suicide, domestic violence, and alcoholism for a reason. Certain positions require extremely long, stressful and unusual hours at work and many aren't able to spend nearly enough time with their families. I know one who has been on the same department for over a decade and still has to work weekends. The stresses of the job (depending on department and position) can be incredible. That's a big reason why my Dad got off the police force and onto the Fire Department as soon as he possibly could.

If you want to hear some great insight into what being a urban police officer is like, then you must listen to Joe Rogan's outstanding podcast interview with Michael Wood (former Baltimore City PD). https://youtu.be/Ndg-JGmYryA

Last edited by coolbeans2000; 08-01-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 04:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
LEO compensation packages in California are slowly bankrupting the state. They do an important job, but 3 at 50? Really?
100k lifetime pensions? Really?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans2000 View Post
No kidding. I was referring to the people who've inherited homes previously purchased by their parents and are today paying near 1970's property tax rates via the revocable trust loophole. Apparently it "protects" certain people more than others.
Prop 13 became law in 1978 by a groundswell of voter support... against the odds because almost every politician and Union was against it... thankfully it survived challenges all the way to the US Supreme Court.

If you are referring to those that own property against those that don't... you are correct for Prop 13 only applies to Real Estate... renters in my city have Rent Control which is like a Prop 13 for renters and came about because of Prop 13.

I helped a friend who was on Section 8... her father was killed in Vietnam and her mother died a few years ago... her Grandmother, owns a small dilapidated 1915 home in East Oakland... volunteers put a new roof on the place and I was one of them... anyway... thanks to the voters of California... the family home passed to the only grandchild and kept Grandma's property tax base...

So here is an elderly woman with modest Social Security that lost her only child in Vietnam and has one grandchild that was on Section 8 housing... she was able to get off Section 8 and now lives in the family home... exactly what the voters wanted... sounds like a win/win to me.

Quote:
Watch out for people like Ultarunner who rave about how great a certain career field is but haven't done it themselves. Police Officers have significantly higher rates of suicide, domestic violence, and alcoholism for a reason. Certain positions require extremely long, stressful and unusual hours at work and aren't able to spend nearly enough time with their families. The stresses of the job (depending on department and position) can be incredible. That's a big reason why my Dad got off the police force and onto the Fire Department as soon as he possibly could.
Apparently, you missed the part that my family paid the ultimate sacrifice... my Uncle died in the line of duty and his name is etched in the memorial here and in DC... My Grandmother was NEVER the same... when I applied to be a police officer it sent her into severe depression... she said she could not bear another loss.

As mentioned... TWELVE of my close friends joined the Department as soon as they were age eligible and no 4 year college degree required... they are well paid and have outstanding benefits... my Dad also worked as a Police Officer... I have the right to my opinion and would have been proud to carry on the tradition...

Interesting footnote on Oakland Police retirements... under the old system the retirement pay is tied to the rank... so if you retired as a Sergeant 25 years ago... your pay is based on what a Sergeant earns today... with typical overtime... there are retirees who receive almost 3 times in retirement than their best year on the force...

And yes... I have been on more ride alongs than I can count and to police retirements and academy graduations... even called to testify because I was a witness due to being a ride-along.

I went another route and work for a hospital where my decisions can be life or death, hours are unpredictable and on call 24/7 and have never seen a penny of overtime in 25 years with a pension plan frozen in 2007.

My Firefighter friends have ALL gone out on disability... job related and earned... their bodies are worn out because it is very physical and carrying people out of harms way is not only physical... it is stressful... or trying to keep someone alive... has to be at the top of the stress pyramid.

Maybe because of my Law Enforcement and Medical connections... I do know several where one spouse is Law Enforcement and the other a Nurse... a great combination and definitely at the high end of the wage scale in California... heck... the department often not only pays for the academy... they pay the candidate to attend!!!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-01-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Prop 13 became law in 1978 by a groundswell of voter support... against the odds because almost every politician and Union was against it... thankfully it survived challenges all the way to the US Supreme Court.

If you are referring to those that own property against those that don't... you are correct for Prop 13 only applies to Real Estate... renters in my city have Rent Control which is like a Prop 13 for renters and came about because of Prop 13.

I helped a friend who was on Section 8... her father was killed in Vietnam and her mother died a few years ago... her Grandmother, owns a small dilapidated 1915 home in East Oakland... volunteers put a new roof on the place and I was one of them... anyway... thanks to the voters of California... the family home passed to the only grandchild and kept Grandma's property tax base...

So here is an elderly woman with modest Social Security that lost her only child in Vietnam and has one grandchild that was on Section 8 housing... she was able to get off Section 8 and now lives in the family home... exactly what the voters wanted... sounds like a win/win to me.

Apparently, you missed the part that my family paid the ultimate sacrifice... my Uncle died in the line of duty and his name is etched in the memorial here and in DC... My Grandmother was NEVER the same... when I applied to be a police officer it sent her into severe depression... she said she could not bear another loss.

As mentioned... TWELVE of my close friends joined the Department as soon as they were age eligible and no 4 year college degree required... they are well paid and have outstanding benefits... my Dad also worked as a Police Officer... I have the right to my opinion and would have been proud to carry on the tradition...

Interesting footnote on Oakland Police retirements... under the old system the retirement pay is tied to the rank... so if you retired as a Sergeant 25 years ago... your pay is based on what a Sergeant earns today... with typical overtime... there are retirees who receive almost 3 times in retirement than their best year on the force...

And yes... I have been on more ride alongs than I can count and to police retirements and academy graduations... even called to testify because I was a witness due to being a ride-along.

I went another route and work for a hospital where my decisions can be life or death, hours are unpredictable and on call 24/7 and have never seen a penny of overtime in 25 years with a pension plan frozen in 2007.

My Firefighter friends have ALL gone out on disability... job related and earned... their bodies are worn out because it is very physical and carrying people out of harms way is not only physical... it is stressful... or trying to keep someone alive... has to be at the top of the stress pyramid.

Maybe because of my Law Enforcement and Medical connections... I do know several where one spouse is Law Enforcement and the other a Nurse... a great combination and definitely at the high end of the wage scale in California... heck... the department often not only pays for the academy... they pay the candidate to attend!!!

Not sure what most of your post has to do with anything that I wrote or even the actual thread. What on earth are you even talking about?

Great you know people who work in LE. Sorry to hear your uncle was killed in the line of duty but how does that disprove a point I made or explain anything that you've said?

Awesome you've done "ride alongs" and hospital work lol. What does that have to do with anything?

As for your fire fighter comment. I know a FF who hurt himself on the dept playing a recreational sport and now gets a lavish tax free pension for the rest of his life as a result. It's common knowledge that before retirement they often visit special doctors who get them a disability eval so they don't even have to even pay taxes on their retirement.

Overall Fire fighting isn't even in the top most dangerous jobs anymore. Being a garbage man is actually significantly more dangerous. Fire fighters work 3 days a week and often have a second job because they have so much time off and have nothing better to do.

And fires today are incredibly rare compared to years past due to modern building materials and building fire suppression systems. Have you ever wondered why both a big fire truck and an ambulance respond to every minor medical emergency? Why fire fighters put an Medic into the ambulance at the scene then with the big fire truck they follow the ambulance to the hospital to pick the medic back up? Its because they need to justify their existence with no fires to even put out.

They work less and get paid more. And the tax payers are forced to pay for a lavish retirement for the rest of their lives. New York City Fire Fighters are actually averaging more than 100K annual PENSIONS now. The average salary for a California fighter today including over time, payouts and incentives is $125,100. And that is average. For a job that is safer than being a garbage man.

Bottom line is they are overcompensated based on the actual dangers they face, the work they do, and the massive hordes of other overqualified applicants who apply for every vacant position. It's a big scam.

Last edited by coolbeans2000; 08-01-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 6,406 times
thank u guys for all the nice words.
actually i dont really worry about the hazard and stress of this job but appreciate all advice.
many people say that they would live in other state and enjoy better qualities rather than living in CA.
I really luv CA but the house prices,income tax..etc are horrible so... how about Nevada?
seems NHP pays really good compare to state's overall living cost.
i really hate rains and the humidity so i can only think of south-west.
any advice?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanel46 View Post
thank u guys for all the nice words.
actually i dont really worry about the hazard and stress of this job but appreciate all advice.
many people say that they would live in other state and enjoy better qualities rather than living in CA.
I really luv CA but the house prices,income tax..etc are horrible so... how about Nevada?
seems NHP pays really good compare to state's overall living cost.
i really hate rains and the humidity so i can only think of south-west.
any advice?
Nevada pays substantially less and treat their state employees horribly, they have been cutting benefits regularly for the last 7 or 8 years and increasing employee contributions. It is just a crappy state for a public employee.

Do you have law enforcement experience? If you don't have a POST certificate you are going to be limited to applying for a very small number of large agencies who run their own academy, or you will need to plan on finding a way to support yourself & pay for fees, books and uniforms for 20-24 weeks while you attend a community college police academy to get your POST certificate.

If you work for one of the agencies that are willing to send you through their academy the pay is substantially reduced while you are in the academy. Also, competition for police jobs is intense, some agencies only consider applicants with less than a bachelors degree if they also have military experience or some history of working in a police agency as a volunteer, reserve officer, or cadet. Getting hired as a police officer takes a minimum of 4 months and usually ends up taking 8-12 months, so unless you have substantial resources you probably would not want to move until you were given a job offer.

If you are inexperienced, but want to live in California and get your foot in the door in law enforcement, maybe you should try for Dept. of Corrections. Unlike most other prison guard jobs, CDCR Correctional Officers have limited peace officer status and you would receive peace officer pay and benefits. However, the correctional academy certificate does not qualify you to work in a regular police agency. The academy is short and paid for by CDCR. There are 34 prisons in California and your chances of being assigned to one in the Central Valley, is far better than getting on in Vacaville or Marin County, but you can transfer. If you have a bachelors degree and can prove you are smart and ambitious there are excellent promotional opportunities, I have a few friends who started out as C.O and are now making $130,000 + working in administration Career Opportunities with CDCR

If you can share more about yourself and your experience I can try to give more specific advise

Old 08-01-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans2000 View Post
Not sure what most of your post has to do with anything that I wrote or even the actual thread. What on earth are you even talking about?

Great you know people who work in LE. Sorry to hear your uncle was killed in the line of duty but how does that disprove a point I made or explain anything that you've said?

Awesome you've done "ride alongs" and hospital work lol. What does that have to do with anything?

As for your fire fighter comment. I know a FF who hurt himself on the dept playing a recreational sport and now gets a lavish tax free pension for the rest of his life as a result. It's common knowledge that before retirement they often visit special doctors who get them a disability eval so they don't even have to even pay taxes on their retirement.

Overall Fire fighting isn't even in the top most dangerous jobs anymore. Being a garbage man is actually significantly more dangerous. Fire fighters work 3 days a week and often have a second job because they have so much time off and have nothing better to do.

And fires today are incredibly rare compared to years past due to modern building materials and building fire suppression systems. Have you ever wondered why both a big fire truck and an ambulance respond to every minor medical emergency? Why fire fighters put an Medic into the ambulance at the scene then with the big fire truck they follow the ambulance to the hospital to pick the medic back up? Its because they need to justify their existence with no fires to even put out.

They work less and get paid more. And the tax payers are forced to pay for a lavish retirement for the rest of their lives. New York City Fire Fighters are actually averaging more than 100K annual PENSIONS now. The average salary for a California fighter today including over time, payouts and incentives is $125,100. And that is average. For a job that is safer than being a garbage man.

Bottom line is they are overcompensated based on the actual dangers they face, the work they do, and the massive hordes of other overqualified applicants who apply for every vacant position. It's a big scam.
???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County