Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 13,917 times

Advertisements

Hi, last year I was in Florida around Clearwater Tampa area, more specific Belleair, Largo, Indian Rocks area. I had no car only my bicycle, it worked well for me because everything is flat and almost no wind with exception of two high bridges. I was excly 3.5 miles to the beach, Walmart, nice seafood store, butcher store, publix aroudn the corner, hardware store, basically within 3.5 miles of civilization for all my basic needs.

This year I'm planning on either Long Beach area or San Diego, again no car just a bicycle, maybe a scooter or an electric bike but not 100%. Since my cut of is about 3.5 miles I can't do more then 10 miles per day, where would you say it would be easier for me as far as more flat terrain, less wind yet I have access to all my basic needs so I can bike everywhere with ease.

Mind you I'm a food junkie meaning I don't eat out and cook mostly at home, but only with high quality ingredients, so need a good source of grass fed meat, poultry, need a good fresh seafood with large verity, quality produce….

Not sure how weather plays a role here December till April, since there was almost no rain in Florida so I never ran out of fresh supplies and didn't need to stock up too much.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM

371 posts, read 337,665 times
Where do you plan to sleep? Are you planning on being a beach bum?

I am not too familiar with SD.

I have talked with a couple people who managed to live on the beach in Santa Monica/Venice and Orange County. Orange County is much more hostile but in all areas finding restrooms at night is tough.

Long Beach may be doable-but the beach isn't all that nice waterwise. You are fairly close to a downtown where you can find a Walmart if you hang out on Belmont shore. I suspect law enforcement here is tougher because I don't recall seeing many homeless.

I think Venice/Santa Monica would be a decent bet.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM

What do you mean sleep I'm not a bum, I'll rent a room, at $1000 per month budget for rent I'll do more then ok.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua101 View Post
What do you mean sleep I'm not a bum, I'll rent a room, at $1000 per month budget for rent I'll do more then ok.
You'll probably need to raise your monthly budget a bit for a short-term private room w/kitchen within 3.5 miles of the beach in San Diego.

Your best bets for what you're looking for will probably be Ocean Beach. Mission Beach or Pacific Beach, but again, your budget may be on the low side. If you can't find anything in your price range in those locations, try Carlsbad, Oceanside, and possibly Imperial Beach. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-13-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 02:40 PM

My main issue is how flat and how windy is it and where it would suit me better, not budget or rental availability, I can overcome the rental part. Just want to know where it would be easier to bike on daily basis.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
My main issue is how flat and how windy is it and where it would suit me better, not budget or rental availability, I can overcome the rental part. Just want to know where it would be easier to bike on daily basis.
Keep in mind the winter will be a little colder than Clearwater, though not much and the ocean a LOT colder.

Clearwater:

San Diego:

However you will enjoy it.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 PM

For some reason I never get the answers I need on this forum, same thing happened last year when I was researching Florida.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
For some reason I never get the answers I need on this forum, same thing happened last year when I was researching Florida.
I addressed this one:

Not sure how weather plays a role here December till April, since there was almost no rain in Florida so I never ran out of fresh supplies and didn't need to stock up too much.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
All of the areas in San Diego I suggested above are fairly flat. Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Oceanside, Carlsbad, and Imperial Beach. All have housing options within 3.5 miles of the ocean and are fine for getting around by bike.

If your budget isn't an issue, check out Coronado for flat and bike-friendly. Avoid La Jolla, as that's more hilly.

I saw you also posted in the San Diego forum. These would be the flattest areas near the ocean in San Diego. The farther you get from the ocean in San Diego, the hillier you'll find things.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-14-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I gave you a thoughtful answer above with areas in San Diego that would fit your desires and gave you additional information in the thread you posted in the San Diego forum. Others have addressed your concern about climate.

So I am not quite sure why you say no one is giving you the answers you need.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-14-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County