Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Yes, you have to live closer to Anaheim. Temecula is waaay too far, although some people do suffer through that 1+ hour drive each way everyday...Just avoid that if you can. Temecula is beautiful and you'd get a newer construction home, but I just don't think it's worth it, especially since you have 2 young kids. They will rarely see daddy...

Many people will tell you Anaheim is a really bad place to live. There's crime, blight, gangs, poverty, etc., but I was just in the westside of Anaheim and boy, it looked nice to me. I didn't look up schools or anything, but I'm sure there are pockets of nice areas in Anaheim.

I would also suggest Orange and the other cities Electrician mentioned. And he's also right about renting first so you know the county and cities. Then you can decide where you really want to set roots and grow.

Let us know if you have any questions in particular.
Yeah, people really give Anaheim a bad rep to the point that they have people believe Anaheim Hills is a separate city (which it isn't; it comprises parts of two zip code areas in eastern Anaheim and the name only really properly applies to subdivisions under the Anaheim Hills HOA, though adjacent neighborhoods often use that designation as a handy reference to let people know they are not next to Disneyland or downtown) and that any thing west of the 91/55 interchange is a seething Hispanic immigrant ghetto (it isn't) and not worth considering for a residence. I lived in downtown for a few years and liked it, and would gladly buy one of those historic homes or a house next to them if I could do it.

There are homeless about, but in a city of almost 350,000 with very nice weather it isn't unexpected. The city is partnering up with neighboring Fullerton to open a shelter so that La Palma Park is clear(er) of them. That's the big roost for them in central Anaheim but most other parks in the city don't have that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
FYI
Yourba Linda W&P Just voted a $25 INCREASE in water rates. Seems with all the water conservation, revenues are going down so they are adding this charge to make up the loss in the water rates. Nice huh. Guess taking a cut in pay isn't in the works
Seems like the citizens of YL aren't too happy about it. Can't blame them.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:09 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Yeah, people really give Anaheim a bad rep to the point that they have people believe Anaheim Hills is a separate city (which it isn't; it comprises parts of two zip code areas in eastern Anaheim and the name only really properly applies to subdivisions under the Anaheim Hills HOA, though adjacent neighborhoods often use that designation as a handy reference to let people know they are not next to Disneyland or downtown) and that any thing west of the 91/55 interchange is a seething Hispanic immigrant ghetto (it isn't) and not worth considering for a residence. I lived in downtown for a few years and liked it, and would gladly buy one of those historic homes or a house next to them if I could do it.

There are homeless about, but in a city of almost 350,000 with very nice weather it isn't unexpected. The city is partnering up with neighboring Fullerton to open a shelter so that La Palma Park is clear(er) of them. That's the big roost for them in central Anaheim but most other parks in the city don't have that issue.
How safe would you say it is for a white yuppie couple to walk around downtown (say from the Packing House to Pearson park) after dark?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:11 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
FYI
Yourba Linda W&P Just voted a $25 INCREASE in water rates. Seems with all the water conservation, revenues are going down so they are adding this charge to make up the loss in the water rates. Nice huh. Guess taking a cut in pay isn't in the works
Seems like the citizens of YL aren't too happy about it. Can't blame them.
That's so bogus. You let your lawn die, drain pools, install drought tolerant plants, xeriscape, etc. And then the utility ups your rates. That would be absolutely infuriating.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
That's so bogus. You let your lawn die, drain pools, install drought tolerant plants, xeriscape, etc. And then the utility ups your rates. That would be absolutely infuriating.
What can I say. These bastards whine and cry were in a drought, save water. People save water and oh wait we're losing money we can't pay out crazy salaries we need to add a surcharge. Infuriating is putting it mildly.
Yeah they had a big city hall meeting and the citizens tried to stop the additional fees. The W&P people said no. You didn't do something or other right so it doesn't count. I guess gotta love politicians. They wil ALWAYS figure out how to fleece citizens/taxpayers.
I am glad to see the citizens are fighting back with lawyers.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
How safe would you say it is for a white yuppie couple to walk around downtown (say from the Packing House to Pearson park) after dark?
I would say it is safe enough. I lived right next to Pearson Park and would walk by myself to the store and back in the dark (I am a pretty good sized "white" guy with dark hair but should be no issue for a couple, just normal city awareness). It's the same basic area, but the Packing House area would have more lighting. They are planning some big things on Anaheim Blvd near Pearson Park as well, so there are people about.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:17 AM

27 posts, read 33,249 times
To the OP, i think other members hit it on the head. I would definitely rent your first year here. I have lived and worked in Anaheim, i rode my bike about 3 miles to get to work which was in downtown Anaheim. That being said, if you choose to buy in Anaheim i would recommend exploring the city at night to get a feel for what area is right for you and your family. Anaheim is all about pockets.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOC_Sights View Post
Anaheim is all about pockets.
Good pockets and bad pockets and which you live in depends on what is in your pocket.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:51 PM

27 posts, read 33,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Good pockets and bad pockets and which you live in depends on what is in your pocket.
Toché, beans to you!

Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
that's a very safe area. that's where the latest housing devt in Anaheim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County