Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:54 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times

Advertisements

OK, here's the Bay Area version.

It took me 35 minutes to go two miles this AM. And Fridays are supposed to be a lighter commute.

To be fair, my timing was really bad. I had to do some stuff around the house and had to do an errand that took me on a route that I normally avoid for good reason. Still, it was just plain and simple grid lock.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:32 PM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
^^^Yep, I'm old, I went to the US festival!
You're a baby! I was 15 and my very first concert was California Jam in Ontario in 1974! Ug! Did I just really write that date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSm5IQFaTZA

But back on topic...
Yeah, I'm bummed it's closing too... it's really a nice place to see concerts. But hey! We need more of those "BEE HIVE APARTMENTS"! That's a great description!

So now we also have a 4 or 5 story thing going up near the Laguna Hills mall near the freeway on Avenida De La Carlota. Darn... that was always a a route to get to the freeway before the mall opened up and they already have a new light on that short street ready to go. There's also a new bee hive that recently went up off the 5 and Crown Valley across from the Costco.

I remember how happy I was to move to So. Orange County with my (ex) husband's new job in the '80's. Even then I was surprised to see all the building going on since I mostly remembered all the orange groves, but it was still great getting away from the "bee hives" and density of the San Fernando Valley and that awful 101 freeway! I felt so claustrophobic! Now it's happening here!

Funny thing too, when we first moved here, there was still a lot of open space. My (much) older brother came to visit and I took him around the area and we were standing on a hill in Laguna Niguel with a nice view. He looked out and said, "See this?... It's all temporary!!" It always is, isn't it?

Gulp! I need to get outta here!!
Ha! Fat chance... oh well...

Old 11-13-2015, 03:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
You're a baby! I was 15 and my very first concert was California Jam in Ontario in 1974! Ug! Did I just really write that date?

But back on topic...
Yeah, I'm bummed it's closing too... it's really a nice place to see concerts. But hey! We need more of those "BEE HIVE APARTMENTS"! That's a great description!

So now we also have a 4 or 5 story thing going up near the Laguna Hills mall near the freeway on Avenida De La Carlota. Darn... that was always a a route to get to the freeway before the mall opened up and they already have a new light on that short street ready to go. There's also a new bee hive that recently went up off the 5 and Crown Valley across from the Costco.

I remember how happy I was to move to So. Orange County with my (ex) husband's new job in the '80's. Even then I was surprised to see all the building going on since I mostly remembered all the orange groves, but it was still great getting away from the "bee hives" and density of the San Fernando Valley and that awful 101 freeway! I felt so claustrophobic! Now it's happening here!

Funny thing too, when we first moved here, there was still a lot of open space. My (much) older brother came to visit and I took him around the area and we were standing on a hill in Laguna Niguel with a nice view. He looked out and said, "See this?... It's all temporary!!" It always is, isn't it?

Gulp! I need to get outta here!!
Ha! Fat chance... oh well...
I saw that big apartment building over by the Trader Joe's in LH. With respect to Laguna Niguel's large complex on Crown Valley, that's only the beginning: many more are on the way. Huge buildings are sprouting like mushrooms as high density becomes common in Laguna Niguel (and a downtown is built).

Whiting: High-density living is the new normal in Laguna Niguel - The Orange County Register

P.S. The flying piano thing was crazy!

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 11-13-2015 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 04:42 PM

121 posts, read 183,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I saw that big apartment building over by the Trader Joe's in LH. With respect to Laguna Niguel's large complex on Crown Valley, that's only the beginning: many more are on the way. Huge buildings are sprouting like mushrooms as high density becomes common in Laguna Niguel (and a downtown is built).

Whiting: High-density living is the new normal in Laguna Niguel - The Orange County Register
I'm pretty surprised Laguna Niguel is going this route, just something I wouldn't have expected. I think it has the potential to be pretty cool, LN should have a central gathering place.

I know everyone hates on it, but to me all of the development going on everywhere just further shows how Orange County continues to be at the forefront of suburban/urban hybrid living, at least in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCerik View Post
I'm pretty surprised Laguna Niguel is going this route, just something I wouldn't have expected. I think it has the potential to be pretty cool, LN should have a central gathering place.

I know everyone hates on it, but to me all of the development going on everywhere just further shows how Orange County continues to be at the forefront of suburban/urban hybrid living, at least in my opinion.
A lot of Laguna Niguel residents, including many neighbors of mine, are in shock over what is happening. There is a lot of construction going on and much more is planned. Existing residents fear complete gridlock on Crown Valley and loss of quality of life. I would hate to be an inland OC resident who relies on Crown Valley to get to the ocean (South Laguna or Dana Point). It will soon take much much longer on Crown Valley once all those buildings are filled.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
This area is becoming increasingly urbanized, even if it seems to be impossible for that to happen.

It wasn't long ago that there were strawberry fields on Irvine Center Drive. It seemed odd along a busy street.

A former neighbor of mine in Aliso Viejo said there were goats walking around on the AV hills when she first moved here in about 1989.

I remember the Vantis development site in Aliso Viejo.

Vantis Site 2005:
https://www.facebook.com/CityOfAliso...372902/?type=3

Vantis Site 2015:
https://www.google.com/search?q=city...IVSMNjCh0OeAMU

I recall the present Pacific Life site when it was a series of hills and Aliso Viejo Parkway was sort of peaceful and quiet.
https://www.google.com/search?q=alis...IVCMxjCh3_oQdW

I also remember Aliso Viejo's golf course before it was partially hacked away to make room for the Glenwood development.

The Aliso Viejo Ranch is part of the old Moulton Ranch from which Aliso Viejo (last to emerge) and several other South County cities sprang. Efforts are under way to protect it by turning it into an historical preservation site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=alis...FHqE9_2cWLM%3A

Aliso Viejo is almost entirely built-out, save 25 acres, but the city is still poised to undergo major changes. For example, the town center may become more of a "downtown;" incorporating both a hotel and townhouses; along with other changes.

As someone once said, the only constant about life is change.

Last edited by pacific2; 11-14-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 09:18 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Not all has changed for the worse.

Back in 2002, Aliso Viejo was a year-old, and had dodged possible financial disaster resulting from the state's financial problems. AV triumphed and went on to have year after year of budget surpluses.

By 2002, the proposed airport at El Toro had been defeated by OC opponents to its development.
Aliso Viejo Celebrates Its First Year - latimes

Aliso Viejo also successfully (David vs Goliath) fought US Postal Service plans to turn a 25 acre site which the USPS had purchased in 1991, into a 417,294 square foot processing center.

It would have been an absolute disaster to have a fleet of large USPS trucks on AV's already crowded main arteries.

Geez, AV is tiny, and its population has increased from about 40K in 2000 to around 50K in 2010; and the traffic is also worsened by the welcome, but large number of office workers and shoppers who come into the city.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Hell with the meadows I miss Lion Country Safari............good times.......chimp jumps on your family wagon as a kid..........adios meadows saw many a show there and the parking was always shiate.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 12,090 times
Time to get out.

There once was a dream of urbanized living in Chicago. It was called Cabrini Green.

Of course this being a realtor dominated forum, the ever increasing building of homes you can never pay off has a certain appeal. Tear out the orange groves, build million dollar houses on the tops of all of the hills, and build apartments for the rest of the "little people". That way when you get those wage slaves working in the area you have a mobile workforce that can be replaced/transferred at will, and you collect most of their wages back in the forms of rents that you can raise to increase the profits to the developers and their investors.

Oh and market it well before the truth can be realized. Or if that doesn't work bring the refugees.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskulker View Post
Time to get out.

There once was a dream of urbanized living in Chicago. It was called Cabrini Green.

Of course this being a realtor dominated forum, the ever increasing building of homes you can never pay off has a certain appeal. Tear out the orange groves, build million dollar houses on the tops of all of the hills, and build apartments for the rest of the "little people". That way when you get those wage slaves working in the area you have a mobile workforce that can be replaced/transferred at will, and you collect most of their wages back in the forms of rents that you can raise to increase the profits to the developers and their investors.

Oh and market it well before the truth can be realized. Or if that doesn't work bring the refugees.
You would have those of us here (some of us in homes on the hills) depart the area because the area is increasing in density?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County