Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,339,334 times

Advertisements

Pretty sad, I have great memories of this place and the shows I saw there. Its pretty ridiculous that in a place with some of the best weather in the country, we will be without an outdoors entertainment venue like this and possibly for good. I wont complain if it brings in more acts to the Honda Center, but for artists who enjoy playing outdoor shows in the summer and events like the Weenie Roast, an indoor location wont do. That might mean some artists decide to skip playing in OC altogether which would really suck. I don't understand why they can't re-open the Pacific Amphitheater for the summer, they already do it for a month during the OC Fair. It actually holds 2k more people than Irvine does. Seems like a perfect solution for now.

Closing time nears for Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre - The Orange County Register

Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM

121 posts, read 183,735 times
Really too bad. Outdoor venues are my favorite, and don't want to have to drive to San Diego or LA to see a show. Hope a new one pops up as soon as possible.

As you said, it's crazy not to take advantage of the weather here with an outdoor venue.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:15 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCerik View Post
Really too bad. Outdoor venues are my favorite, and don't want to have to drive to San Diego or LA to see a show. Hope a new one pops up as soon as possible.

As you said, it's crazy not to take advantage of the weather here with an outdoor venue.
My major gripe with Irvine Meadows is the egress. It's pretty easy to get into the Meadows, but leaving is a major pain. I think there's only one road and driveway to exit and would have thought it'd be better to make more than one. I would think the Irvine Police or security would at least control the street traffic so cars can exit in a free-flowing fashion instead of waiting at a traffic light. Still it's sad to see the venue gone. I'll drink to the Meadows, Wild Rivers, and the old Lion Country Safari. High real estate values is really taking a toll on OC.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Sad, so sad. I saw the Smiths at Irvine Meadows in 1986. Yeah, I'm that old.

OTOH, OC has a lot more venues than it used to for concerts, e.g. Honda Center, the Observatory, etc. etc.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 11-09-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Well, I can see why Irvine Company are replacing one of the world's classic outdoor venues with densepack beehive apartments. People hiding in their personal enclaves watching the big glowing screens on their wall is apparently the way to go. Who wants to deal with going out into the real world to an icky concert with all those real people? / sarc

Old 11-09-2015, 08:36 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,675 times
nooooooooooo! no no no!!!! this bums me out so much. and they are building MORE apartments? like orange county needs MORE apartments!!!? sigh...this just put me into a funk. i haven't been there in a while but i have seen a lot of shows there over the years and am very sad to hear that they are going to tear it down.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 PM

347 posts, read 666,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
like orange county needs MORE apartments!!!?
Yes we do. In fact, we need a lot more.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:51 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Yes we do. In fact, we need a lot more.
I'm sure Urban Planner would also say we need a much improved infrastructure, living wage-well paying jobs, rapid transit/traffic decongestion, and reservoirs/water collection systems amongst many other things. We do have a housing shortage, but adding more homes and people takes so many other things out of balance.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I'm sure Urban Planner would also say we need a much improved infrastructure, living wage-well paying jobs, rapid transit/traffic decongestion, and reservoirs/water collection systems amongst many other things. We do have a housing shortage, but adding more homes and people takes so many other things out of balance.
Hes a huge fan of urban culture. If it were up to him, OC would destroy all of its natural beauty and great venues in natural settings like Irvine Meadows and build nothing but giant, claustrophobic matchbox buildings for people to "live" in. He doesn't understand that most of us live here because we don't want the crowded, noisy, dirty urban lifestyle of LA. OC is already crowded enough, its beyond ridiculous. Ask anyone who lived here back in the 60s, 70s and even 80s and they will tell you that you used to be able to drive on roads and highways and get where you were going just fine and it was an awesome place. Now, going 5 miles takes you 40-60 minutes and there are people EVERYWHERE. The LAST thing we need is more housing. Put up a no vacancy sign already.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 8,863 times
There are no other lands in Orange County except for Irvine. They will build more condos/townhomes/puds/apartments so they can pack as much people as possible since the demand is high in Irvine. Everyone wants to live in the new city. South 405/5 will be the next 91 if they don't think about infrastructure improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County