Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 9,445 times

Advertisements

Thank you MonicaRae for your recommendations. Unfortunately none of this preschool take infants and close to Lake Forest. Also I am not big into academic based preschool so that takes most of the Montessori preschool out of the picture. I want my kids to go into school which are fun based or play based and have little more structure or routine in their day schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 AM

823 posts, read 1,771,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySunnyCA View Post
Thank you MonicaRae for your recommendations. Unfortunately none of this preschool take infants and close to Lake Forest. Also I am not big into academic based preschool so that takes most of the Montessori preschool out of the picture. I want my kids to go into school which are fun based or play based and have little more structure or routine in their day schedule.
Hi SunnySunnyCA. I know you have already explained your view on preschool academics, but I have talked to several parents who have regretted the fact that their 3 and 4 year-olds didn't receive any academic learning in preschool. These kids were unprepared for the challenges of kindergarten, homework, tests, etc.

Play is absolutely important, but a good preschool will make learning fun and also allow kids free play time to be kid. A good preschool will have structure and routine. This is all part of helping the child be kindergarten-ready.

My son's preschool was excellent, but they only take 2 years on up. What you are looking for may be daycare, not preschool. Good luck .

Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 AM

Did a quick online search and found this one that takes infants up to preschoolers:

Shuba Infant Care  
Address: 59 Parrell Ave, Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
Phone949) 597-0782

Hope it works for you.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:36 PM

Thanks russlancea...I disagree with your emphasis on academics. One needs to cultivate the love for learning in preschool rather that purely academics. Some play based scheme that combine education and fun can achieve that with great results. Numerous research have proved it time and again. You do not want to box your child. That is why I'm not looking for home based daycare like Shuba. But thanks for the information.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,254,548 times
Quote:
Thanks russlancea...I disagree with your emphasis on academics. One needs to cultivate the love for learning in preschool rather that purely academics. Some play based scheme that combine education and fun can achieve that with great results. Numerous research have proved it time and again. You do not want to box your child. That is why I'm not looking for home based daycare like Shuba. But thanks for the information.
How things have changed. There was no preschool when I was a child, we just started with Kindergarten and it was fun with some learning to prepare us. Poor kids today can't even be little kids.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,259,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
How things have changed. There was no preschool when I was a child, we just started with Kindergarten and it was fun with some learning to prepare us. Poor kids today can't even be little kids.
with most parents working , the children are better off in pre school/day care than staying with a nanny or grannies. at least they have playmates and learn something.

overly emphasizing academics is just not fun though

Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM

I agree with both payutenyodagimas and expatCA. I did not go to preschool and when I was a kid we had neighbor kids as friends and played as long as we wanted to play. Unfortunately our current social fabric is weak due to number of reasons. Hence preschool is the best environment where kids meet kids on daily basis to improve on their social skills. In addition in some preschools the children are learning while having fun. Montessori is notoriously academic oriented and do not focus on social success IMHO.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:25 PM

123 posts, read 231,720 times
My daughter attended a church-based preschool in Irvine from 2008-2010 and my son went through Saddleback Valley's preschool system. The Saddleback public schools preschool system was extremely cheap compared to the private church preschool my daughter attended, but we loved both. Saddleback Valley may in fact also offer infant childcare but since I stayed home and never availed myself of that service, I can't offer any insight, just an idea that they may have some type of infant childcare service. If you don't want to use an actual daycare facility like KinderCare, you may find that you have to split up your kids to separate services. I know that is not what you want, but it may be an option to consider.

In-home care by a certified Mom who takes care of several neighborhood kids might be an option for you as well. I interviewed 7-8 people in Irvine, Tustin, and Lake Forest back in 2008 before I found a work-at-home job that let me stay home. I found some very greedy people - one Mom suggested I would have to pay her even during weeks when my child was not in her care (she reasoned that daycare facilities pro-rate childcare to include Christmas-New Years' week etc., when children are usually home with their parents, so she should be able to be paid for time off as well. My husband, unfortunately, would never have agreed to paying a freelance childcare worker during her time off, even if this would be considered fair by some people...) I found two Lake Forest Moms who were warm and ran busy and noisy childcare facilities out of their home. One moved away to Colorado but I still have the name of the other one, a woman called Farah. If you want her phone number please PM me.

Good luck,

Heather

Old 02-16-2016, 03:53 PM

Thanks Heather. Saddleback preschool system do not have a full time program. We are looking into few schools in the area now. There is a new school opening in Lake Forest called the Goddard. Also we are looking into Leport. Does anyone have any feedback on them?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I never went to preschool and kindergarten back then was napping, fingerpainting, and snacks. Today's kindergarten is totally different, whether you are going public or private.

I don't want to go off on a tangent. I was trying to help you find a school for your kids. It's your choice where you send your kids, so I'm not here to convince you either way.

What I mean by academics in preschool, though, is learning ABCs, numbers, shapes, colors. These are basics that every preschooler should know. My son's preschool also taught science: they planted seeds to learn how plants grow. When I saw a grasshopper on school grounds, the Director put it in a jar so the kids could observe it for a few hours.

The kids learned about space, planets. When my son's preschool class got bored with counting numbers, the teachers taught the 3 year-olds to add, so they knew 5+4=9. Yes, this is academics, but was it boring, strenuous learning? No. It was fun learning. The kids loved it. They craved it. They also did amazing arts and crafts and had plenty of free play.

Off on a tangent again, but kindergarten is not the same as when we adults were little. My local public kindergarteners are writing sentences, writing stories, reading, counting by 5s, 10s, 20s, doing one-digit addition, subtraction...

My son attends private kindergarten and is learning all this, plus doing cursive. He figured out, from his little head, that 100-89=11. How did he come up with that? Of course, there's lots of art and playtime, but Kindergarten simply is not the way it used to be.

I hope you can find the right daycare for your kids .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County