Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 06:04 AM

40 posts, read 279,419 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to either Orange County or San Diego within the next 8-9 months. I currently work in sales for a highline auto dealership (BMW) in the New York Metro area, everytime we visit Southern California I can't help but notice the great number of BMWS and Mercedes Benz driving around. Does anyone know (friends or relatives in the automobile business) if someone can easily earn 100k+ in automobile sales in Southern California?

Thanks a Million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjr View Post
My wife and I are planning to move to either Orange County or San Diego within the next 8-9 months. I currently work in sales for a highline auto dealership (BMW) in the New York Metro area, everytime we visit Southern California I can't help but notice the great number of BMWS and Mercedes Benz driving around. Does anyone know (friends or relatives in the automobile business) if someone can easily earn 100k+ in automobile sales in Southern California?

Thanks a Million.
I don't know how much you can make (probably pretty good) but people in OC tend to be into status symbols more than other places, hence all the high end cars. And I think many throw their money into a nice car because they know they'll never be able to afford a nice house or even apartment, so they live in squalor, yet drive a nice car. Plus it seems like you spend more time in the car than in your home anyway.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
I read a stat not too long ago, I think in the OC Register, that 75% of people in OC lease their cars. Do Salesmen make less money on leased cars than a sale?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 PM

40 posts, read 279,419 times
Lease or buy its the same commission as far the salesmen is concerned, but we actually prefer our customers to lease because you are almost guaranteed that they will return in 2-3 years to lease another car.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
We have two BMW's from Crevier BMW in Santa Ana. It is the largest volume dealer of BMWs in the western United States. We got both from our son's friend's mother, who has become a family friend. She is one of the top BMW saleswomen in the country though. She definitely is making very good money. I guess at least 150k. They have a beautiful 3.5 million dollar ocean front home in San Clemente. Her husband makes a good amount of money in golfing I assume too. So yes, if you are a good salesman here, you can make a good amount of money. She has established a loyal customer base though and been with Crevier for over 10 years so I wouldn't expect to be making 100k + in the first few years.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjr View Post

Thanks a Million.
Shouldn't be a problem really.

Crevier in santa ana is large(little bit south of central orange).

Shelly Group has Shelly BMW and Shelly Volvo in Buena Park(northwest orange) and Irvine BMW in Irvine(south central orange).

Costa Mesa/South Coast Plaza area has it's share of high end dealerships. Ferrari, Porsche, etc.

Volvo of Orange County is another.

There's plenty of high volume import dealerships in the area.. Let me know if you need any help.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 12,770 times
bhcompy....did you make the move? how are the sales in the car business?....hubby and i are thinking about the move also and hes in sales (currently at toyota but would go to different dealership if necessary) ....wanted to know the same question about the 100k...any input? are people in cali still buying cars despite the recession??

Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
I wasn't the one moving, but I can tell you that cash for clunkers boosted new sales to 08 levels more or less(based on the data I've seen for CA). i dont have the most recent numbers, but i believe they are back to well below average. dealerships are still closing down left and right though. just lost an isuzu dealership due to lack of volume(granted isuzu is closing US operations at the end of the year anyways) and plenty of the lower volume dealers are suffering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County