U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,145 posts, read 6,799,826 times
Reputation: 7080

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm guessing OC is the same shade of conservatism that is seen in the Phoenix, AZ area, right?
Certainly some OCers started the Minutemen and the movement spread to Arizona. I think Arizona is a bit more like Texas in feel. As I've stated already, please remember that the far West has a Libertarian feel. This is not Arkansas. Please stop thinking of it like East Coaster's do. In general, OC doesn't have San Diego''s military feel but the two counties are somewhat similar politically. Many parts of LA strongly resembled OC politically, e.g. San Fernando Valley, but due to massive demographic changes over 40 years, it's politics changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,271 posts, read 4,991,852 times
Reputation: 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm guessing OC is the same shade of conservatism that is seen in the Phoenix, AZ area, right?
We recently moved from Orange County to Phoenix, and the conservatism is not the same at all. "Conservatives" in Orange County would often not even be considered conservatives here in Phoenix. Gay couples are all over the place in Orange County, and it's not an issue.

$1600 is actually a pretty low price for a one bedroom in an area which would be considered acceptable by you, though. (I've read your other threads.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:14 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,879,616 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would be okay with moving there without having experienced it. Like I said, I drove through OC on I-5, four years ago. I lived in NYC, CT and Ohio and can handle anything now. I'm guessing OC is most similar to lower Fairfield County, CT, based on the places I've lived....just more populated, heavier traffic and even more expensive. Besides, the recruiter said that the interview process may be conducted entirely via Skype and phone, prior to receiving an offer. That would be great, because it saves me $600+ on travel expenses for interviewing, not to mention a few days of my time.

I need a job. I only have 10 weeks to find one before my unemployment benefits cease.
Just 2 weeks ago...

Creative ideas on how I can move to greater Hartford?

What happened?

nep, I think you need to think this through. Let's also remember the importance you place on seeing family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 PM
 
7,031 posts, read 3,763,479 times
Reputation: 8362
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm guessing OC is most similar to lower Fairfield County, CT, based on the places I've lived....just more populated, heavier traffic and even more expensive. Besides, the recruiter said that the interview process may be conducted entirely via Skype and phone, prior to receiving an offer. That would be great, because it saves me $600+ on travel expenses for interviewing, not to mention a few days of my time.
If an employer is serious about you, they should be willing to pay for you to travel out for an in person interview, or at least a visit. Also, moving across country is expensive, so in negotiating, ask about relocation reimbursement or at least a signing bonus to help you pay for that. Even if you only move with a suitcase, you will still have costs to set up your new apartment (furniture, dishes, deposit, etc.).

I am a transplant from Westchester County, NY. Orange County is nothing like southern Fairfield county, CT in my opinion.

Expect some culture shock at first, but that's better than being totally broke and unemployed somewhere else. The best advice about avoiding culture shock is to not expect things to be the same as somewhere else. Embrace the differences; think of them as an adventure.

However, one other unsolicited piece of advice: don't expect a move to somewhere new to solve all of life's problems. The scenery may change, but any personal issues usually come along for the ride.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-22-2016 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,145 posts, read 6,799,826 times
Reputation: 7080
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We recently moved from Orange County to Phoenix, and the conservatism is not the same at all. "Conservatives" in Orange County would often not even be considered conservatives here in Phoenix. Gay couples are all over the place in Orange County, and it's not an issue.

$1600 is actually a pretty low price for a one bedroom in an area which would be considered acceptable by you, though. (I've read your other threads.)
If so-called conservatives in Phoenix are of the Ted Cruz/Huckabee variety and consider a Trump supporter in OC to be a so-called Liberal, then I really will have a good laugh at them.

Since I am an uneducated, tinfoil hat wearing, unurbane, unsophisticated, redneck (social liberal, fancy that!), unrepentant filthy privileged white male in OC, who is self-made in terms of success, I am unabashedly supporting...

TRUMP for President.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-22-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,271 posts, read 4,991,852 times
Reputation: 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
If so-called conservatives in Phoenix are of the Ted Cruz/Huckabee variety and consider a Trump supporter in OC to be a so-called Liberal, then I really will have a good laugh at them.

Since I am uneducated, tinfoil hat wearing, unurbane, unsophisticated, redneck (social liberal, fancy that!), unrepentant filthy privileged white male in OC, who is self-made in terms of sucess, I am unabashedly supporting...

TRUMP for President.
Ummm, OK. Nep made an assumption about conservatives, and I told him the truth. Your post isn't at all relevant to the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 12:57 PM
 
7,031 posts, read 3,763,479 times
Reputation: 8362
Also, I'm sure you're aware that some of the listings on Craiglist are scams. If you see apartments priced well below other listings in the area, they are either a scam or there is something undesirable about them that they aren't saying in the ad.

In addition to Craigslist, try Zillow.com for rentals as that will let you see rentals on a map (but still be cautious about places that are well below others in the area. Don't rent anything without seeing it first!).

A good resource for checking safety in different areas is crimemapping.com --- put in any address, set the dates to the last six months, and you can print out a nice little list of all reported crimes within two miles of that address. What I recommend doing is putting in the address where you are currently living so that you have something for comparison purposes.

If you have any concerns about being LGBT in Orange County, contact the OC LGBT Center. But, since you've been living in Ohio, I think you'll find OC will be just fine in that regard.

When you first come here, you may want to consider renting a less expensive room in a house for a few months instead of committing to a long term lease, just until you get familiar with the area. But again, don't rent anything without seeing it first.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 777,249 times
Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
If so-called conservatives in Phoenix are of the Ted Cruz/Huckabee variety and consider a Trump supporter in OC to be a so-called Liberal, then I really will have a good laugh at them.

Since I am an uneducated, tinfoil hat wearing, unurbane, unsophisticated, redneck (social liberal, fancy that!), unrepentant filthy privileged white male in OC, who is self-made in terms of sucess, I am unabashedly supporting...

TRUMP for President.
Get that idiot in power. I actually want him to win so that I can have a laugh at all the idiots who believe his BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,208 posts, read 549,821 times
Reputation: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would be okay with moving there without having experienced it. Like I said, I drove through OC on I-5, four years ago. I lived in NYC, CT and Ohio and can handle anything now. I'm guessing OC is most similar to lower Fairfield County, CT, based on the places I've lived....just more populated, heavier traffic and even more expensive. Besides, the recruiter said that the interview process may be conducted entirely via Skype and phone, prior to receiving an offer. That would be great, because it saves me $600+ on travel expenses for interviewing, not to mention a few days of my time.

I need a job. I only have 10 weeks to find one before my unemployment benefits cease.
As a former Orange County resident who grew up in the area in the 80s and 90s, I don't think you would particularly like living there. In general the area has a well deserved reputation for being extremely crowded, expensive, and fast paced, and is on the opposite side of the nation from most of your family. I can certainly respect your need to secure gainful employment as soon as possible, but it would be a huge adjustment from the Midwest and Northeast regions.

Orange County is a lot less Republican than it used to be, and not particularly socially conservative in general. There are a lot of high income older residents who vote Republican based more on fiscal and tax issues. I think the local politics would be the least of your concerns in the area. IMHO it would be worth it in the long run if you take the time to visit the area before moving rather than accept a position there and regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 02:56 PM
 
9,475 posts, read 4,759,946 times
Reputation: 6153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm guessing OC is the same shade of conservatism that is seen in the Phoenix, AZ area, right?
I don't know Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top