Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:03 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,057,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's always the front line that gets the brunt of the attack.

I ONLY have good things to say about Newport Beach, Laguna, et al. Corona might as well be Phoenix in those parts (most convenient beaches to Corona too ).
Parts of the IE are surprisingly snooty too. It is not cheap to live in the IE either, especially the very nice parts of the IE..we should start a thread lol. I hear a few parts of Corona that resemble Anaheim Hills are a bit high brow. Then there is Chino Hills. And how many people in OC know how nice parts of the IE are? Let's start with The Mission Inn & Spa in Riverside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:37 AM

928 posts, read 760,475 times
Love the Mission Inn! View from my room.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:33 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,788,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Parts of the IE are surprisingly snooty too.
I agree. I could never stand it. And the parts I lived in/grew up in weren't even close to being wealthy. More the 30K millionaire types you hear about from Texas/the South.

Quote:
It is not cheap to live in the IE either, especially the very nice parts of the IE..we should start a thread lol. I hear a few parts of Corona that resemble Anaheim Hills are a bit high brow.
The expense was one of my original reasons for leaving. Much of Corona is just suburban OC-Lite.

Quote:
Then there is Chino Hills.
I loved my time working in Chino Hills. I have nothing bad to say about that place. Some of the best times of my life.

Quote:
And how many people in OC know how nice parts of the IE are? Let's start with The Mission Inn & Spa in Riverside.
I stayed around the corner from Mission Inn on my last trip. Downtown Riverside is relatively unknown, even by many of its residents (including myself, until the last trip. I even graduated from high school in the city! ). A true hidden gem.

I don't think many OC'ers give the IE much thought, until a "poor" friend or a family member moves "out there".

Old 03-04-2016, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Quote:
Parts of the IE are surprisingly snooty too. It is not cheap to live in the IE either, especially the very nice parts of the IE..we should start a thread lol. I hear a few parts of Corona that resemble Anaheim Hills are a bit high brow. Then there is Chino Hills. And how many people in OC know how nice parts of the IE are? Let's start with The Mission Inn & Spa in Riverside.
Free trivia: President Nixon married Pat at the Mission Inn. The Reagans honeymooned there.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:24 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,788,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Free trivia: President Nixon married Pat at the Mission Inn. The Reagans honeymooned there.
And Bush had a meeting in the laundry room with Schwarzenegger.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
And Bush had a meeting in the laundry room with Schwarzenegger.
Well you likely won't find Jerry Brown in Riverside, not even the Mission Inn. He hates sprawl and that is what Riverside represents. After all, the IE was and is the last frontier for LA area people who want the dog and a house with the yard at a more affordable price. Jerry seems to prefer San Francisco and Oakland over Socal anyway. Well he can go to the Sir Francis Drake and other great hotels in San Francisco then...

Old 03-04-2016, 03:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,636,980 times
Jerry Brown has his own private getaway:

The California Ranch That Takes Jerry Brown Off the Grid
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/us...anch.html?_r=0

Old 03-05-2016, 03:14 PM

115 posts, read 71,584 times
Quote:
I don't think many OC'ers give the IE much thought
and vice versa... etc..

.. who could care less.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:14 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,697,648 times
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the level of snootiest/rudeness you experience in any given OC city is probably more dependent on your racial/ethnic background than anything else. This is just what I've observed and experienced as a white American-born male with a very highly diverse group of friends. Just about all of my friends will concur.

I tend to find people in the whiter areas of OC, such as Seal, Huntington, Newport, Laguna, Dana, San Clemente and the inland South OC bedroom communities to be friendlier and more pleasant. My non-white friends explain that's because I'm white and those areas are predominately white non-Hispanic. Most of my non-white friends don't experience the same level of friendliness or warmth that I've experienced in those communities.

When my big, diverse group of friends is out at the bars in Huntington or Newport, I as a "big ole [handsome, I might add ] white boy" as my friends describe me (LOL), usually step up to the bar to get prompter service, whether I'm paying or not.

Occasionally, I've seen white bartenders in the beach areas cater to white clientele more attentively than my non-white friends and others, and it breaks my big ole heart, so I try to prevent that from happening at all costs.

My Mexican-American friends tend to stick to Anaheim, Santa Ana and Buena Park. The last time I went grocery shopping in Anaheim with a Mexican friend, people were greeting us, holding the door for us, etc. - just being very polite and pleasant.

But when I went back to the same market alone, my experience was very different - other shoppers were not nearly as pleasant and almost no one made eye contact. This is consistent with my experience when frequenting businesses in the more heavily Hispanic sections of Long Beach, too, although not technically OC.

I think a lot of it as to do with the language barrier - most Hispanic adults living in the working-class and low-income areas of SoCal do not speak English and their assumption is that you, as a white person, are not able to communicate with them, despite the fact I'm conversational in Spanish. My Guatemalan-American friend, who was born and raised in LA and is fluent in Spanish, validated this for me.

In the heavily Asian communities of Garden Grove, Westminster, Irvine, etc., you probably won't get better treatment in Asian-owned businesses because Asian people tend to be excellent and highly attentive business people, at least in my experience. However, you will notice a lot of people "sticking to their own," so to speak.

An Asian-American girlfriend of mine who lives in Irvine and another who lives in Garden Grove will sometimes make comments to me when we're at the beach or in South OC that those areas are "so white." I had to give them a reality check they last time they made that comment and told them that, despite how diverse OC/CA is, the US is still a predominately white non-Hispanic country, although that is changing quickly.

Prior to moving to Southern California, I've never once heard the term "white-washed" or heard one minority call another "white" as a half-joke, half-insult. I think a lot of second-generation Asian and Hispanic kids in California are ignorant to the fact that what they consider to be "white culture" is actually General American culture because their working knowledge and familiarity of the US does not extend beyond Las Vegas.

In the more heavily Asian and Hispanic communities of SoCal, I just find people less friendly overall than the whiter or even blacker areas.

To my surprise, the black areas of SoCal are surprisingly friendly, and I say this a white person. I think that's probably because there's no language barrier, and black and white people in Southern California are descended from Midwestern (white) or Southern (black) heritages/traditions that espouse friendliness and politeness. YMMV.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie21 View Post
and vice versa... etc..

.. who could care less.
Hmmm well that's funny since so many people in the IE work in OC and the reverse is far less common. Given that fact alone, I would say people in the IE think about OC a lot more than the reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County