Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times

Advertisements

Thanks Prop 47. Look at the map in this document and notice the huge increases in crime in most of the county.

Crime's up in Orange County; what's to blame? - The Orange County Register

Criminals should know that we have a low tolerance for crime in Laguna Niguel and we are mobilizing. This is happening in my own neighborhood. We are establishing large neighborhood watch groups. Many folks here have guns (not mentioned in the below article, but a fact known to me). We have established "Block Captains" in cooperation with the OC Sheriff and many of us are installing surveillance systems. Our Mayor is involved. Criminals beware. None of are are scared to call the police for any suspicious behavior we witness and we are not intimidated by "stitches for snitches". Also not mentioned in the article is the clear increase in burglaries which is a crime that is totally unacceptable to me and hits far too close to home.

Laguna Niguel residents unite as they look to protect neighbors - The Orange County Register

What is your community doing to combat this large increase in crime?

Meanwhile in San Diego...
San Diego sees a huge increase in violent crime.

And in LA... San Francisco...Sacramento
Recent press reports show that in San Francisco, robberies are up 23 percent; in Los Angeles, violent crimes are up 20 percent; and in Sacramento, homicides are up 23 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
When there are more males in their mid-teens to early 20s, there is more crime.
We have males in that age group assisting with neighborhood watch groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,396,319 times
In my San Diego neighborhood, a homeowner security camera system recorded a trespasser in his backyard during the day testing for unlocked doors. A still shot was shared with the neighborhood using the online group, NextDoor. That same person of interest was spotted elsewhere in the neighborhood over the next couple of days. Today, the Neighborhood Watch was out actively patrolling the neighborhood and spotted the man in question. Police were called, and after searching for nearly 30 minutes, they found him, detained him, and were able to hold him on an outstanding warrant. Today, he became one more incarcerated person that the judicial system will be able to prematurely release back into the community to commit more crime.

After AB109 prison realignment, prior to Prop 47, the first thing we noticed was a spike in car thefts ~ over two years they jumped 30% - 90%, here and in surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 PM

347 posts, read 666,499 times
Oh cry me a river. We are far far far far below the levels seen during the 90s. The increase seen recently is eye catching, but not unusual to see random spikes in some years. If this increase continues for a another 2 years, then it's time to freak out.

Crime is at all time lows for urban cities. Stop the fear mongering.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Oh cry me a river. We are far far far far below the levels seen during the 90s. The increase seen recently is eye catching, but not unusual to see random spikes in some years. If this increase continues for a another 2 years, then it's time to freak out.

I'm not sure I agree. Fewer crimes are indeed reported but cities have engaged in chicanery with respect to how they classify crimes in an effort to show your vaunted lowering of crime. Additionally, due to rampant witness
intimidation all over, far fewer charges are levied against criminals, and the resultant drop in crime can be celebrated. We are increasingly resembling a Banana Republic.

Are you a statistician? Random you say? As for your crying a river, there are people who are victims of crime who are indeed crying.

By urban cities you are no doubt referring to your favorite city, which you've repeatedly described as the only urban city in OC. Well, perhaps you've missed the news on all the Santa Ana crime. One last thing: crime increases are all over and not just in the so-called urban areas.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
In my San Diego neighborhood, a homeowner security camera system recorded a trespasser in his backyard during the day testing for unlocked doors. A still shot was shared with the neighborhood using the online group, NextDoor. That same person of interest was spotted elsewhere in the neighborhood over the next couple of days. Today, the Neighborhood Watch was out actively patrolling the neighborhood and spotted the man in question. Police were called, and after searching for nearly 30 minutes, they found him, detained him, and were able to hold him on an outstanding warrant. Today, he became one more incarcerated person that the judicial system will be able to prematurely release back into the community to commit more crime.

After AB109 prison realignment, prior to Prop 47, the first thing we noticed was a spike in car thefts ~ over two years they jumped 30% - 90%, here and in surrounding neighborhoods.
Nextdoor is a powerful tool. Some have called the app "racist" because of its anti crime usefulness and postings about suspicious people, etc. I kid you not, Google it.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'm not sure I agree. Fewer crimes are indeed reported but cities have engaged in chicanery with respect to how they classify crimes in an effort to show your vaunted lowering of crime. Additionally, due to rampant witness
intimidation all over, far fewer charges are levied against criminals, and the resultant drop in crime can be celebrated. We are increasingly resembling a Banana Republic.

Are you a statistician? Random you say? As for your crying a river, there are people who are victims of crime who are indeed crying.
You clearly have never been to a real banana republic. So way off base with that it is hard to take you seriously.

As for Prop. 47 causing the increase in crime? Well, I notice that ocean drownings increase when ice cream sales increase. Therefore, let's ban all ice cream sales.

Did Prop. 47 cause state crime boost? | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

There have been increases in crime in other states where there was no Prop. 47. So you'll have to try again on that one.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
You clearly have never been to a real banana republic. So way off base with that it is hard to take you seriously.

As for Prop. 47 causing the increase in crime? Well, I notice that ocean drownings increase when ice cream sales increase. Therefore, let's ban all ice cream sales.

Did Prop. 47 cause state crime boost? | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

There have been increases in crime in other states where there was no Prop. 47. So you'll have to try again on that one.
How do you know where I've lived and worked? I'd say chances are good I've lived and worked in many more such places than you.

Yes, correlation is not always causation, but it's not just prop 47 that's leading to more crime. Releasing prisoners and other policies combined all led to an increase in crime.

I am familiar with that piece in the SDUT. Look who wrote it. As for your not taking me seriously, the feeling can be mutual.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post

Maybe not, the first link noted:

32 of 34 cities reporting more serious crimes – and in several cases spikes of 30 to 50 percent.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How do you know where I've lived and worked? I'd say chances are good I've lived and worked in many more such places than you.

Yes, correlation is not always causation, but it's not just prop 47 that's leading to more crime. Releasing prisoners and other policies combined all led to an increase in crime.

I am familiar with that piece in the SDUT. Look who wrote it. As for your not taking me seriously, the feeling can be mutual.
And what's wrong with Greenhut?

Last edited by majoun; 04-09-2016 at 11:31 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 10:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Could be homeless but knowing the area suspicious

A motorist told police they were going north on MacArthur Boulevard at 2:24 p.m. and saw a body under the freeway and close to an on-ramp, said Newport Beach police spokeswoman Jennifer Manzella.

Body found near freeway in Newport Beach - The Orange County Register
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County