Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am not sure I quite agree, however, I think it has many similarities to LI.

OC has plenty good bagels. I have found plenty.
There are a few places where you can get passable bagels (HB has two decent bagel shops)
But you just can't get the dough that makes for an exceptional bagel, hard roll or pizza crust.

and unless you are from NY (Hudson River Valley and south through Long Island), you don't know what I mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 05:05 PM

371 posts, read 815,681 times
Here is my take on the pizza debate.

When people from NY say that their pizza is the best and the pizza in California (or OC) sucks, I believe what they are really saying is:

"In NYC, you can find a solid slice of pizza on practically every block, 90% of pizza in the city is above average, and in OC its very hard to find places that sell slices of pizza, and there is a lot of bad pizza."

But, I do not believe they are saying that you literally can't find good pizza in OC. Objectively speaking, there is a lot of good pizza in OC, even if its not everywhere. It's hard to believe someone eating Rances (Costa Mesa), and saying that its not as good or better than most slices of pizza in NYC. It's hard to believe that someone would eat at Roccos (San Clemente) or Tony's Little Italy (Placentia) and thinking that it's not at least on level to your average slice of NYC pizza.

I'm native to OC, but I've visited NYC 15+ times, and as a pizza lover I've probably had 50+ slices of pizza in the city in pretty much every borough (sorry SI, haven't made it there yet). And, I can say that I love that (it seems) that you are always a 5-10 minute walk away from a solid slice of pizza. I can't recall ever having a bad slice. But, it's not like your average slice of pizza in NYC is some new awaking and takes pizza to a whole new level.

But, at the same time, I recognize that its very hard to find a good pizza in OC (and very, very difficult to find a really good slice), and there is a lot of bad or below average pizza. I honestly don't understand why your average corner pizza spot in NYC can produce a really good pizza, but 50% of the pizza places in OC serve bad pizza. Really, it shouldn't be rocket science.

So, in conclusion, the pizza in NYC is much better than the pizza in OC. But, that's not because you can't find good pizza in OC. it's just that there is a whole lot of solid pizza in NYC, and in OC you have to search it out.

By the way, the exact same thing can be said about burritos/tacos in NYC versus LA/OC/SD. It's not like you can't find a good taco in NYC, its just that (unlike Southern California), you can't find a solid one on nearly every corner.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 PM

66 posts, read 70,086 times
Getting use to people might be of concern in the O.C. If you are use to friendly types that love to talk, communicate and listen. Forget it, most people don't talk to neighbors at all because they don't care about anything but their own people. I've been here 40+yrs and I'm sick of it. At retirement time we are bolting from this ever changing dead hole of to many people with a don't G A F attitude. Weather is why they are here. Homelessness has exploded in the last 10yrs. In the sanctuary city of Santa Ana they are living on city and county land right in downtown.

When you do move make sure you are less than 15min. from work, the freeway will waste your life away.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 AM

38 posts, read 39,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother1 View Post
Getting use to people might be of concern in the O.C. If you are use to friendly types that love to talk, communicate and listen. Forget it, most people don't talk to neighbors at all because they don't care about anything but their own people. I've been here 40+yrs and I'm sick of it. At retirement time we are bolting from this ever changing dead hole of to many people with a don't G A F attitude. Weather is why they are here. Homelessness has exploded in the last 10yrs. In the sanctuary city of Santa Ana they are living on city and county land right in downtown.

When you do move make sure you are less than 15min. from work, the freeway will waste your life away.
Are you serious, is this really the case? Rudeness, unfriendliness and anger are one of the main reasons I wanna get out of NY area (crappy weather being the main reason) . Please tell me it's not as bad as NY/ Northeast area.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonik555 View Post
Are you serious, is this really the case? Rudeness, unfriendliness and anger are one of the main reasons I wanna get out of NY area (crappy weather being the main reason) . Please tell me it's not as bad as NY/ Northeast area.
No, not at all. I find people in South Orange County to be much friendlier than they are in Manhattan. NYC is far more competitive and "dog-eat-dog." Everyone, I knew in Manhattan when I lived there, was juggling multiple projects and rushing from one meeting to another;even during weekends and evenings. I knew a lot of people who just had to get their kids into the right preschools; the right private schools.....

Then, there's the nonstop whirlwind madness of NYC. I lived in a great neighborhood, but, as I traveled around the city, I saw and experienced things there that, individually, would give wimpy C-D fear-mongers a fatal heart attack.

Life in South OC is easy, not nearly perfect, but easy. I posted it before, but at least here in Aliso, over 90% of the people surveyed are happy with life in this city. Other South OC cities may not be as much into research, etc., but my hunch is that their residents probably have similar feelings about their respective communities.

Of course, there's also lot of competition here, but most South OCers seem to be less driven, and far more invested in balancing fun into their lives. Here, the outdoors, with the ocean, canyons and parks, are important.

There are a lot of transplants in South OC, and I'd guess that the majority moved here for the weather and opportunities for a less stressful lifestyle.

Ignore the cry babies who are afraid of their own shadow. If you notice, many of them seem to be perpetually angry. Jeez, is there any surprise that people don't speak to them, or want to be around them?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:57 AM

38 posts, read 39,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
No, not at all. I find people in South Orange County to be much friendlier than they are in Manhattan. NYC is far more competitive and "dog-eat-dog." Everyone, I knew in Manhattan when I lived there, was juggling multiple projects and rushing from one meeting to another;even during weekends and evenings. I knew a lot of people who just had to get their kids into the right preschools; the right private schools.....

Then, there's the nonstop whirlwind madness of NYC. I lived in a great neighborhood, but, as I traveled around the city, I saw and experienced things there that, individually, would give wimpy C-D fear-mongers a fatal heart attack.

Life in South OC is easy, not nearly perfect, but easy. I posted it before, but at least here in Aliso, over 90% of the people surveyed are happy with life in this city. Other South OC cities may not be as much into research, etc., but my hunch is that their residents probably have similar feelings about their respective communities.

Of course, there's also lot of competition here, but most South OCers seem to be less driven, and far more invested in balancing fun into their lives. Here, the outdoors, with the ocean, canyons and parks, are important.

There are a lot of transplants in South OC, and I'd guess that the majority moved here for the weather and opportunities for a less stressful lifestyle.

Ignore the cry babies who are afraid of their own shadow. If you notice, many of them seem to be perpetually angry. Jeez, is there any surprise that people don't speak to them, or want to be around them?

Thank you Sooo much for your response. This makes me feel much better.
Would I be able to write a direct message for to you? I tried however, there is no option for it.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
OC doesn't feel similar to Long Island, at all. Have lived in both places. They're kind of polar opposites.

I moved from NYC to Orange County, and then back to NYC, and I integrated just fine. Had a great experience in CA.

I was fortunate to live in a very nice part of OC, though (Corona del Mar). If I lived somewhere more middle class, inland, honestly I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OC doesn't feel similar to Long Island, at all. Have lived in both places. They're kind of polar opposites.

I moved from NYC to Orange County, and then back to NYC, and I integrated just fine. Had a great experience in CA.

I was fortunate to live in a very nice part of OC, though (Corona del Mar). If I lived somewhere more middle class, inland, honestly I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.
I've lived in both places, plus the Hudson River Valley. In my opinion OC feels a lot like Suffolk County
Long Island has better beaches and harbors, but overall i prefer OC.

I lived in coastal/Boating communities on Long Island, and coastal Communities in OC and maybe that's why I feel the similarity.

The interior parts of both places can get a bit dicey (Selden, Commack / Stanton/Midway City
LI has guidos / OC has Bros (both are subclasses of DBags)

Old 04-14-2016, 05:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There are a few places where you can get passable bagels (HB has two decent bagel shops)
But you just can't get the dough that makes for an exceptional bagel, hard roll or pizza crust.

and unless you are from NY (Hudson River Valley and south through Long Island), you don't know what I mean
Actually, yes, I think I do know. I've spent a lot of time in NYC, not much on LI, admittedly.

Well it is harder to replicate the exact mineral content of water from NYC. Aside from bagels, I have even found a nice bialy here and there. I looked for knish and even found two places that had 'em!

Even calzones can be found that are decent. Had a nice one in San Clemente.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Actually, yes, I think I do know. I've spent a lot of time in NYC, not much on LI, admittedly.

Well it is harder to replicate the exact mineral content of water from NYC. Aside from bagels, I have even found a nice bialy here and there. I looked for knish and even found two places that had 'em!

Even calzones can be found that are decent. Had a nice one in San Clemente.
Kings pizza in Huntington Beach has the best Calzones in OC, and they are super cheap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County