Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:44 AM

35 posts, read 37,755 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I'm a native NY'er in my early 40s. White collar professional. Well traveled. Not the typical loud mouth that normally fits the NY stereotype. From what I've read, it seems OC natives are facing many of the same challenges we here in NY are dealing with; increasing prices for everything, changing demographics and culture, influx of outsiders moving in.

My question is how difficult would it be for someone like myself to fully integrate into the OC lifestyle and be accepted?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
It's really simple man. As long as you dont come off as "I'm better than you" type most people don't give a f where you're from. I had a neighbor from Maine, and know people from Michigan, Floeida, New Jersey,

Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Orange County is essentially Long Island with Nice Weather, Mountains and Palm Trees

Most NYers adapt very well OC.
Just don't complain about Pizza and Bagels and you'll do fine (-you will be able to find decent pizza, but good luck on finding a decent bagel or egg sammich)

Old 04-11-2016, 11:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
And be OK with driving and things being spread out.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM

35 posts, read 37,755 times
Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually from Long Island/Queens border. We grew up driving since we don't have subways out this far. Very suburban here. Sounds like OC is similar, with better weather, which is what I like hearing.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
And be OK with driving and things being spread out.
just like Long Island!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Orange County is essentially Long Island with Nice Weather, Mountains and Palm Trees

Most NYers adapt very well OC.
Just don't complain about Pizza and Bagels and you'll do fine (-you will be able to find decent pizza, but good luck on finding a decent bagel or egg sammich)
I am not sure I quite agree, however, I think it has many similarities to LI.

OC has plenty good bagels. I have found plenty.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:46 AM

38 posts, read 39,063 times
Myself and my wife are very picky with regards to food and good quality food. We have traveled around the world a lot and I have to say some of the best pizza I have ever had is definitely not in NY. Not too much experience with bagels but I have had gets bagels outside of NY.
I think it's a generalized old school stereotype, and is purely subjective experience.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:18 AM

371 posts, read 816,156 times
You should not have a problem. Orange County is full of people from all different areas of the Country and world. There are lots of people here from the Northeast (my previous job was with a small business, we had 6 employees -- two were from New Jersey, one was from New York, and two were from Northern California -- and I was the only native OC employee). Honestly, your neighbor is probably just as likely to be native of the Northeast or at least of the East Coast as they are to be a native of OC (go to an Angel game when they are playing the Yankess or Red Sox and see this in action -- about half the fans will be rooting for the away team).

Like referenced above, in many respects, OC is probably similar to LI and any suburban area near a major metropolitan city. This is especially true for areas outside of the wealthy coastal enclaves (Laguna, Newport). In that respect, I don't think it will be a big culture shock. The people living on your typical suburban street in Lake Forest or Yorba Linda will probably have many similarities to your typical suburban street in the nicer parts of LI.

One difference might be that OC is not as connected to its big city neighbor as suburban LI is. To us, Los Angeles is not "the City," relatively few people commute up there and we are culturally and economically independent.

Although I do disagree with the idea that OC is seeing a major shift in demographics or an influx of outsiders. There has been a steady rise in the Latino population, but its not been a very quick change, and OC has always had a high population of spanish speakers.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonik555 View Post
Myself and my wife are very picky with regards to food and good quality food. We have traveled around the world a lot and I have to say some of the best pizza I have ever had is definitely not in NY. Not too much experience with bagels but I have had gets bagels outside of NY.
I think it's a generalized old school stereotype, and is purely subjective experience.
Yes Pizza is subjective.
(People in Saint Louis love their style of pizza which is essentially a toasted communion wafer, cover in ketchup and velveeta cheese)
New Yorkers like the east coast style of pizza / Have I had better? Sure. but when it comes to a taste that reminds of of home, nothing beats a NY/NJ/New Haven Pie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County