Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:44 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Those are nice, but isn't the wall in your backyard your neighbors wall to their living room/dining room?
No, they are totally detached with a backyard, a two car attached garage, and no common walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo35 View Post
Thanks so much everyone. I also have a question about the culture at schools in this area. Right now, my kids go to a great school in Dallas that I hate.... It's white and affluent, not diverse, the kids are all overscheduled, a lot of the girls wear huge bows in their hair, the 7-year-old boys can throw a football better than many men I know. It's just a lot of pressure on kids to be a certain way. Is this what I'll find in the OC area in schools that are considered good/great?
I can't speak for all of the schools, but I did graduate from Aliso Niguel HS and I didn't find it to be that way at all, in terms of pressure to be a certain way. At least when I was growing up, I felt like there were several social circles for people who had different interests. I never really felt ostracized, but I grew up in a different area so I didn't have a lot of social baggage going in.

Long Beach isn't a bad suggestion. One of my best friends lives in a great neighborhood there that definitely isn't cookie cutter. He currently commutes to Costa Mesa in rush hour and it takes him about 45 mins -- this commute goes with traffic.

I wouldn't recommend Oceanside/Carlsbad due to the commute, but I know people who do much worse.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
No, they are totally detached with a backyard, a two car attached garage, and no common walls.
Good to know If I stick around I would consider one.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 PM

111 posts, read 137,126 times
Thank you -- this information is so helpful.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:13 AM

19 posts, read 20,950 times
When I read you thoughts on good schools and funky area I thought Laguna Beach but then saw your budget. Sorry. I'd look into parts of Cosra Mesa, Fountain Valley and even the cheapest areas of Newpirt. We lived in south county for a dozen years and unfortunately "cookie cutter" if normal.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanks. (Hard to imagine anywhere with houses as expensive as Laguna Beach being funky, but I guess I'm coming from a different perspective.)

Old 05-01-2016, 02:08 PM

Thanks. It's hard for me to imagine that the kind of funky/artsy/intellectual neighborhood would be exclusively multimillion-dollar homes like what I'm seeing for Laguna Beach. I'm looking for something more like Austin (and maybe Seattle) -- well educated, liberal, relaxed (of course, there are multimillionaires in those places, too, but not in the kinds of neighborhoods I'm thinking of). I don't know what the SoCal context is to understand what the different communities are like there, if that makes sense.

What about Alhambra? I saw a couple houses I liked in Fountain Valley, too. I don't understand what Long Beach is about (it looks more city-ish, fewer trees, at least from Zillow, than what I'm imagining).

I know I will just have to visit these areas to better understand them.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Also, what about Claremont? I love the houses I've seen on Zillow in that neighborhood.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:56 PM

ugh ... terrible air pollution in Claremont.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Claremont has that quirky, artsy vibe you're looking for, but the drive would be really bad.

Long Beach would probably fit the bill too, for the most part. I'd recommend checking out the El Dorado Park area.

Alhambra can be nice, but it doesn't really have the vibe you're looking for. For that matter, neither does much of OC. It would be a pretty bad commute too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County