Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Like Donald Bren's Architecture and City Planning in Irvine, California?
Yes 8 36.36%
No 14 63.64%
I Don't Pay Attention to Donald Bren's architecture and city planning. 0 0%
Other (please specify in comment) 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:23 AM

285 posts, read 377,617 times

Advertisements

We hear a lot about Irvine and how expensive it is, but he hear very little about the Architecture and City Planning of Irvine, and whether or not people like it or not.

Poll: Do you like Donald Bren and his Architecture and City Planning in Irvine?

Last edited by theoaks; 05-22-2016 at 01:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 01:30 AM

My answer is yes. I thought about posting this a few days ago since when I first went through Irvine, for some reason, I didn't like it.

But in the subsequent 5 times since then, I've grown to appreciate Donald Bren's design, and believe that he is one of the best City Planners in the country. I'll share more later after your thoughts . . . . .

And, I would love to live in Irvine.

Maybe others have similar stories?

Here's an interesting you tube video interviewing Donald Bren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTLz2v88zWs

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Nope I've traveled a lot and I've never seen such a culturally empty beige boring city as Irvine. The HOA regulations are ridiculous. There is not enough infrastructure for the building boom going on. Just try to get a parking spot at lunch time in one of there mini malls. I'll never understand the high house prices for that dull too perfect city.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Nope I've traveled a lot and I've never seen such a culturally empty beige boring city as Irvine. The HOA regulations are ridiculous. There is not enough infrastructure for the building boom going on. Just try to get a parking spot at lunch time in one of there mini malls. I'll never understand the high house prices for that dull too perfect city.
Master planned communities are frequently described as boring and relatively plastic.

How about the trees, open space, and university?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Win View Post
Irvine Co. uses RENT MAXIMIZING SOFTWARE!!111!!!ONE

How could you support such corporate pigs taking advantage of poor defenseless renters?
I didn't ask about that, I asked about the planning. Since you are trolling my posts on multiple threads, makes me think you're part of city data's infragarders who try to get people banned.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
The open spaces like the Great Park is quickly getting built on. There's lots of trees in other citys. N OC has more old growth trees not the spindly olive trees and ugly eucalyptus trees in Irvine. I never go to the University so can't comment on that.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Win View Post
Irvine Co. uses RENT MAXIMIZING SOFTWARE!!111!!!ONE

How could you support such corporate pigs taking advantage of poor defenseless renters?
paying rents in Irvine is like paying monthly amortization for a decent condo/townhouse in nearby cities with same quality schools. maybe they just don't like to drive to work

Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM

197 posts, read 261,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I lived next door in Mission Viejo and couldn't agree more with you. It's such an ugly, homogenous, boring city. Maybe that's why Asians love it so much!

Old 05-27-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
paying rents in Irvine is like paying monthly amortization for a decent condo/townhouse in nearby cities with same quality schools. maybe they just don't like to drive to work

How would you compare Irvine to other master planned cities such as Thousand Oaks, designed by the Janss Bros ? Or, Carefree, Arizona, designed by Tom Darlington? These were two of the first, in the 1950's, approx.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:33 AM

213 viewers? only 9 votes? Please vote ..... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County