Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Like Donald Bren's Architecture and City Planning in Irvine, California?
Yes 8 36.36%
No 14 63.64%
I Don't Pay Attention to Donald Bren's architecture and city planning. 0 0%
Other (please specify in comment) 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 PM

65 posts, read 105,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
I lived next door in Mission Viejo and couldn't agree more with you. It's such an ugly, homogenous, boring city. Maybe that's why Asians love it so much!

It looks no different from any of the other boring cookie cutter beige suburban tracts in South Orange County. In fact, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo, RSM, Ladera, etc etc have very similar housing stock. Its more expensive because of the more central location to jobs and the schools (attracting Asians and other upper middle class families who aren't scared off by Asians)

So if you live in Mission Viejo and say you hate the boring cookie cutter look, I think you're living in a glass house and throwing stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM

347 posts, read 666,499 times
Fantastic Planning.... for the 60's and 70's.

Today? Not so much.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
How would you compare Irvine to other master planned cities such as Thousand Oaks, designed by the Janss Bros ? Or, Carefree, Arizona, designed by Tom Darlington? These were two of the first, in the 1950's, approx.
ive only been to Irvine so I cant comment on the others. what I do know is that, suburbia are all the same. you have to drive in order to get around

Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM

662 posts, read 1,280,966 times
Quote:
I lived next door in Mission Viejo and couldn't agree more with you. It's such an ugly, homogenous, boring city. Maybe that's why Asians love it so much!
Asians made Irvine interesting. Otherwise, it would be Mission Viejo where anything that isn’t a chain restaurant is considering daring.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:12 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times
Quote:
Damn dude, racist much?

As for Irvine Company design, I like how everything is clean, and tidy, if not a bit boring. I've lived in not-so-well-kept cities before, and that's worse than "boring" design IMO.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinthedark View Post
It looks no different from any of the other boring cookie cutter beige suburban tracts in South Orange County. In fact, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo, RSM, Ladera, etc etc have very similar housing stock. Its more expensive because of the more central location to jobs and the schools (attracting Asians and other upper middle class families who aren't scared off by Asians)

So if you live in Mission Viejo and say you hate the boring cookie cutter look, I think you're living in a glass house and throwing stones.
agree 100%. in fact all suburbia are just cookie cutter houses whether it is in Eastvale, Phoenix or wherever

probably those living in Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Ladera Rach, when they say Irvine is boring and theirs are not, is due to their hilly terrain whereas Irvine, most of it, is just flat.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Win View Post
That's definitely not true.

Suburbs founded prior to 1950 have hugely different looks.
those areas are probably the old town centers of some cities like in Fullerton, Orange etc which authorities are trying to revitalized

Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Irvine's city planning is dreadful. The best thing for Irvine would be for the master planning to be phased out. Probably won't happen soon though if ever

Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 AM

218 posts, read 350,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Irvine's city planning is dreadful. The best thing for Irvine would be for the master planning to be phased out. Probably won't happen soon though if ever
How much land does Bren have left to develop ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County