Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,776 times

Advertisements

I currently own my current home in Anaheim Hills, CA free and clear which current market value is appx $575K. I paid 390K 6-years ago.

I am looking to purchase a larger home for my growing family and looking in the same general area with a budget of $850K

I have $300K cash to put down towards the new mortgage. Do I sell or rent out my current home? Of course the wisest decision financially would be to stay put in my current "paid off" home... but it's getting cramped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Rent it. Just make sure you screen your tenants. I moved and purchased a new house and rented my old one.

You can either DIY or get a PMC if you don't want to/can't DIY

Old 08-01-2016, 05:46 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Somebody else paying off your mortgage, what could be better than that?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Somebody else paying off your mortgage, what could be better than that?
Making 5% on top of it? His mortgage should run 2k and 6k in taxes a year. (About 2500 Piti) his old house should rent for 28-3200 depending on what it is.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:35 PM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
Rent it out. It's easier than you think. Just remember, no tenant is better than a bad tenant. Considering the location, you should have no problem finding good ones.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 PM

129 posts, read 164,507 times
Oh wow...you own your own home? So basically, you don't have a mortgage payment every month?

I'd either stay put (if I can), OR.....get a bigger house and rent out to tenants using a PMC. They can screen tenants better, and it's just "safer" imo.

THe money from the rent of your paid off house could be going towards the mortgage in your new house. Or maybe I'm not understanding the situation properly?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:30 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
I would sell it, take the cap gains free and clear of fed and state taxes. Then if you wish to buy a rental, buy one or two specifically targeted to be a rental. Who says your current home would make a good rental anyway. The house I live in would not make a particularly good rental, I would be better off selling it and buying different houses in a different area. i suspect you would too.

Don't be swayed because you happen to own it. You will start to lose the tax exemption of your gap gains as the years tick by....even if you sold your house and bought a similar house in the same neighborhood, you would get the tax exemption..don't lose this.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_View View Post
Oh wow...you own your own home? So basically, you don't have a mortgage payment every month?

I'd either stay put (if I can), OR.....get a bigger house and rent out to tenants using a PMC. They can screen tenants better, and it's just "safer" imo.

THe money from the rent of your paid off house could be going towards the mortgage in your new house. Or maybe I'm not understanding the situation properly?
You understood it correctly. But if he gets a PMC he loses money. If he's cautious and a fast learner he can DIY and save himself those unneeded additional costs. His costs would be around 6500 a year give or take. Why the hell do you want to give that up if you don't have to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I would sell it, take the cap gains free and clear of fed and state taxes. Then if you wish to buy a rental, buy one or two specifically targeted to be a rental. Who says your current home would make a good rental anyway. The house I live in would not make a particularly good rental, I would be better off selling it and buying different houses in a different area. i suspect you would too.

Don't be swayed because you happen to own it. You will start to lose the tax exemption of your gap gains as the years tick by....even if you sold your house and bought a similar house in the same neighborhood, you would get the tax exemption..don't lose this.
Let's say he rents the property for 3,000 a month. I'm just averaging it out as he could probably get a bit more but for the sake of it lets call it 3k. His Income from the property will gross 36,000. At 3300 a month it's 39,600. Every time one of my rentals comes up I get swamped with people. I have both HOA and SFR homes and I have them rented within 30 days and that's because I take my time screening. There is absolutely no reason for OP to not rent it. Add about 3% rent increase per year this house is a cash cow.
Tax exemption? When you buy a new house you can petition for that, we did. And our old house is a rental now and it's cash flowing. Even if he couldn't transfer the tax exemption he now has deductions. Which will help lower his tax base. When you just added 36,000/40,000 dollars to your annual gross income you're not losing out. You're gaining. Also why should op take a 6% haircut right off the top on the sale?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:28 PM

19 posts, read 25,497 times
Also depends on investment strategy. That money cashing out can get better cashflow, cap rates, returns in other areas. SoCal has such high premiums that the returns aren't stellar...

Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBruin View Post
Also depends on investment strategy. That money cashing out can get better cashflow, cap rates, returns in other areas. SoCal has such high premiums that the returns aren't stellar...
Ok like what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: