Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 34,303 times

Advertisements

I live in South Torrance near the airport (and Toyota and Honda headquarters). THere are many upscale subdivisions, good school system. Heavy japanese and korean population. I am 5 min from 110, 10-15 min from 405. I can get to LAX in under 30 min, Anaheim conference center in 45 min. I have a house, but tons of apartments are all around my neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 AM

104 posts, read 446,955 times
I think the best option is Cypress, basically because it is cheaper than cerritos, and it is safer than it too. I have tons of family that live in cerritos and it is a rich area there for it is targeted for robbery, for instance my own grandpas car was stolen in their driveway, and when their neighbors house was broken into. if you are truly looking for a true bargain in between lax and orange county it is the communites surrounding the navy golf course center/los al airforce base. communites such as the tempo homes in cypress off of valleyview, the rossmoor area, the east gate area in garden grove, and the college park area in seal beach. All these communites are safe, predominantly white, close to the beach, and hits the good freeways, the 405 605 and the 22

Old 03-04-2007, 04:39 AM

the only downside to lakewood is its increasing crime rate and lack of its own school district you either get stuck in the paramount unified school district, the lbusd, and the abc district, not the good schools in cerritos, but you have to go to the schools all the hawaiian garden kids go to

Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Exclamation The 'hoods of Lakewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie562 View Post
the only downside to lakewood is its increasing crime rate and lack of its own school district you either get stuck in the paramount unified school district, the lbusd, and the abc district, not the good schools in cerritos, but you have to go to the schools all the hawaiian garden kids go to
I wrote in another post that one area of Lakewood I wouldn't consider too terribly safe is Hayter Avenue between Del Amo Blvd. and Candlewood Street, where there are apartments from one end of the street to the other. The other area of Lakewood that could be kind of sketchy is the eastern part that borders Hawaiian Gardens. On the other hand, my dentist's office was located in Hawaiian Gardens for about 15 years on Norwalk Blvd., and in all that time, NEVER experienced a break-in or other crime of any kind.

By the way, would you happen to have any kind of verifiable statistics (website, etc.) showing that crime is on the increase in Lakewood? I'd be VERY interested to know.

For the most part, I don't feel unsafe living here.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 PM

the areas not to live in lakewood is

off candlewood, from downey to paramount, because it is where those parwood apartments are, and the 7-11 is extremely ghetto.

off del amo and pioneer
since the starbucks gets shot up at like once every 6 months

the good areas of lakewood are

carson woodruff/palo verde
next to lakewood high

del amo and studebaker

near liberty park in cerritos very good area.

Basically I do think that Lakewood is okay if you don't live on the outskirts next to bellflower, hawaiian gardens, and long beach.

its better to stay in the middle of the city, but anyone recently visit the lakewood mall, its not what it used to be.

feel free to disagree, but it is what it is.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,189 times
Dont move out LA County, we need you here!!! Dont go OC, they dont want you there!!! Try LB is a big city in a good LAC area, close to LAX, close to South Bay, close to Peninsula rolling hills, close to major malls, a good walkable area by the seaside, and with lots of transport options. Avoid North Long Beach, is very dangerous as much as parts of South Central and South LAC, but the rest of the city is not bad, and some areas are pretty good.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Exclamation The "hoods" of Lakewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie562 View Post
the areas not to live in lakewood is

off candlewood, from downey to paramount, because it is where those parwood apartments are, and the 7-11 is extremely ghetto.

off del amo and pioneer
since the starbucks gets shot up at like once every 6 months

the good areas of lakewood are

carson woodruff/palo verde
next to lakewood high

del amo and studebaker

near liberty park in cerritos very good area.

Basically I do think that Lakewood is okay if you don't live on the outskirts next to bellflower, hawaiian gardens, and long beach.

its better to stay in the middle of the city, but anyone recently visit the lakewood mall, its not what it used to be.

feel free to disagree, but it is what it is.
I can't remember the last time I was at Lakewood Center, but I live in the neighborhood behind "Restaurant Row" on Candlewood Street, so I'm within walking distance, if I wanted to go there and get my exercise at the same time. The areas of town you mentioned are considered to be Lakewood proper, and are the more desirable areas, including my neighborhood. It's not at all unusual to see people in my neighborhood taking walks late at night (after 10:00 p.m.).

As with venturing out anywhere, no matter how safe it may seem, it's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and use common sense!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times
Avoid anyplace off the 105 like the plague. The previous posters have it right--Cypress and Long Beach towards Seal Beach/Alamitos, the wetlands in Westminster and HB, and maybe Cerritos.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 AM

99 posts, read 570,120 times
South Torrance is nice, but a bit pricey for what you get. Great schools, beach-close and very low crime, though.

If you're considering Cerritos, Cypress or any district of Long Beach, you're better off with Carson's 90745 which covers half of the city in 5 distinct neighborhoods, including one gated neighborhood and two view neighborhoods.

It trumps all of these other areas (except SOUTH Torrance) in crime rate. If you look here
Livingchoices.com: Real Estate - New Homes, Homes for Sale, Apartment Rentals (http://www.livingchoices.com/community/communitydetails.aspx?mid=4480&zip=90746 - broken link)
You'll find that this half of the city has a crime rate which is lower than the overwhelming majority of cities in the country, but still relatively affordable. In fact, it's crime rate is on par with million dollar Laguna Beach. Envy-based perception and envy-based resentment tarnish perception by many in neighboring and more dangerous Long Beach and North Torrance. In the end, reality trumps perception when navigating the higher crime in the Long Beach's affluent Bixby Knolls' 90807.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 AM

59 posts, read 295,962 times
I've never lived there, but I've heard a lot good things about Los Alamitos which is right near LB, Lakewood, Seal Beach area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County