Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM

61 posts, read 87,013 times

Advertisements

We are looking into over 55 living--are in our 60's, and planning to move in 1-2 years. The Phoenix area places are wonderful, as far as interest clubs, athletic facilities, and affordability. But the 110-degree summers would be like moving to Mars, frankly, after living near the Pacific Ocean for so long.

We have read (on the website 55Places.com) about several affordable places in California, our known-and-loved home state. They are Laguna Woods Village and Leisure World Seal Beach. Who has some knowledge to share about living in these places?

We don't golf, but are interested in participating in clubs such as Woodworking, Oil Painting, Book/Film discussion groups, and Computers. We love swimming, walking and (very unambitious) bicycling. We have heard Laguna Woods Village has a massive Bridge Club.

We also like that these two places are not far from Metrolink stations, and have bus links to the non-over-55 world.

Please share what you know. Also, are there other over-55 communities there elsewhere in the state that you can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
My mom lives in Laguna Woods. She loves it.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
My Dad lived in Leisure World and loved it. He used the Wood Shop a lot. Seal Beach Pier is close and you can fish off the pier. They have some community festivals around the pier also.

Both of these communities are older and a good percentage of the residents are quite elderly, but younger people move in regularly too. Many of the units have been very nicely updated. Parking was always adequate when we visited my Dad. We enjoyed the free monthly musical with him several times.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
I don't know of anyone who lives in Laguna Woods, but the location is good, in part, because it's a very short drive to the ocean (Laguna Beach and Dana Point).

Also, there are tons of parks scattered throughout South County, so you would be able to hike or bike as much as you desired.

If you any concerns about proximity to medical faculties, you needn't worry, since LW is located directly across the street from Saddleback Hospital.

FWIW, there's a really nice organic food store/deli, Mother's, at the periphery of LW that's popular with in this general area.

Look at Redfin.com if you want to get an idea of LW's housing prices.

http://www.lagunawoodsvillage.com/

Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My mom lives in Laguna Woods. She loves it.
That's good to hear! Does she participate in any of the events or social activities or is she otherwise active in the community? I decided in my next community (which I'm hoping in Laguna Woods), I'm going to keep to myself and continue my social life outside the development and be very cautious about letting people know my business. (Can you tell I've had a bad experience with the old gossipy clique who make my life miserable now?) Want to avoid that next time.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
That's good to hear! Does she participate in any of the events or social activities or is she otherwise active in the community? I decided in my next community (which I'm hoping in Laguna Woods), I'm going to keep to myself and continue my social life outside the development and be very cautious about letting people know my business. (Can you tell I've had a bad experience with the old gossipy clique who make my life miserable now?) Want to avoid that next time.

Yeah she does. She is with people her age group so I'm sure there are discussions, she's not big on the beach or hiking. She's always talking about her friends there. As long as she is happy and she seems to be.
Also as far as hospitals there is Mission Hospital down the road and they are a Trauma center/life flight hospital.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:50 PM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
Someone from my church got run over and killed by a young person who was visiting Leisure World in Seal Beach, so same amount of pedestrian awareness is required in and outside these small communities. Very unfortunate, but she sold her single family residence and loved the few years she spent there.

I was going to suggest Westminster Village, off Bolsa Chica and Westminster Ave in the city of Westminster, but yikes, prices are completely crazy since the last time I looked. This is a community of seniors and young families, so you will see and hear little ones. Plenty of seniors, though, and several pools, etc. Quiet, safe community, but prices are ridiculous. Leisure World is much more affordable.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM

61 posts, read 87,013 times
Thank you all for the kind replies.
-OP

Old 08-31-2016, 08:38 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
My grandparents live in Laguna Woods Village and love it.

There are clubs for just about any interest.

There is a great bus system that takes you all the community, nearby hospital, shopping centers and churches.

They have seven or eight pools, an equestrian center, two golf courses, tennis courts, pickle ball courts, bocce courts, lawn bowling, several fitness rooms, volleyball and basketball, dance classes and clubs, the list just goes on forever.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:48 AM

567 posts, read 787,172 times
The HOA dues can be steep: from about $600 to nearly $2,000/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County