U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 AM

16 posts, read 252,083 times

Advertisements

I have just spent two hours on the CA DMV website trying to figure out how to change my license and registration from Texas, and what I need to do this. I have figured out that: A. they require this change in an impossibly short 10 day window; B. the DMV offices must be jammed all the time, since the first available appointment I was able to get at my local office is a month from now; C. to get an appointment even remotely close to the 10 day limit (14 days) I had to go to another city; D. I still can't figure out what the heck they mean by Birth Date Verification and Legal Presence, and do I have to search the Manhattan medical records from 40 years ago to get a copy of my birth certificate, or is my Texas driver's license good enough for that; and E. do I have to have my title to register the vehicle?

Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to bring to my appointment to just switch my out of state license for a CA one and register my Texas vehicle? Any other time I've had to switch states, I just bring my old license in, pay the fee and get a picture taken and that's it. What's the process here, and is there any way to just walk in to an office without waiting 8 hours?

Thanks for advice for an OC newbie!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 259,117 times
My husband and I just switched our car registration over from Texas yesterday. We had an appointment so it didn't take too long. We brought with us our smog test and title. If you don't have the title I believe you need the name and address of the lienholder (usually the dealer) and your Texas registration (which would be the sticker on your car). We presented them with our papers, they inspected our car, and we walked out with our California plates. It took about 40 minutes.

We have an appointment to get our new licenses next month. Obviously we are not going to make it in the 10 day window but the process goes much faster with an appointment. For the Birth Date Verification or Legal Presence (I believe) they either need a copy of your birth certificate or a passport. It seems that California treats you as though you are getting a drivers license for the first time. The only difference is you don't have to take the driving test, just the written one, if you have a valid out of state license.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Also, if you don't want to make an appointment the lady at the Westminster DMV said they were dead on Thursday morning. And make sure you get your car registered within the 20 day window or you have to pay a ton of fees. That's why we did that part first.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 AM

16 posts, read 252,083 times
What's the smog test, and how/where do I get it done?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 AM

California has requirements for how much your car can pollute. You can go to smogsearch.com to find a testing place near you. Or just drive around your neighborhood . A lot of gas stations perform smog checks. It takes about 30 minutes.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelots Lover View Post
What's the process here, and is there any way to just walk in to an office without waiting 8 hours?
You need to talk to these guys. Just bring $50 and in ten minutes you'll have any ID you need.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 AM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times
Lol

If you want to smooth the process out a bit. Go to a AAA club. Ten minute wait with comfy seating.
I would venture a guess that no fees apply if you get the paperwork started within 10 days. If the car is less than 5 years old no smog required. Bring proof of insurance.
As far as the drivers license, get advise from the AAA, they only do registration. But I do believe a birth certificate is required. Since the 9/11 - I understand a new federal drivers licence will soon be required for flying.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM

489 posts, read 1,329,593 times
When I moved back to California I waited nearly 4 months before registering my vehicle here. It was no problem at all, they didn't even question my delay. However they did make me get a smog check on my 2006 Equinox, and since I told them the date I moved back they back dated my registration, so that kinda sucked because it took 4 months off my yearly registration and next thing I knew I had a new bill was in my mailbox for registering for the next year. Another thing that hit me unexpectedly was that since I purchased my vehicle in another state I had to pay the difference in taxes had I purchased the vehicle here. My registration turned into a nearly $1200 fee. For your license you will have to take the written test again, just make sure you read over the manual California has some laws that are a lil out there from other state laws lol. Here is the link California Drivers Manual (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf - broken link). The following link will offer you the answers to most questions you have regarding registering a vehicle that has never been registered in California, including a fee calculator How To Register A Nonresident Vehicle . Hope that helps!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 AM

753 posts, read 2,443,950 times
Registration can be changed easily at AAA or the DMV (no appointment really needed). The license, though, must be changed at the DMV, and a written test will be required. That works better with an appointment. The 10-day rule is not really an issue.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:29 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,766,664 times
Another hint if you are a woman who is married and changed your name you need to show your marriage certificate to prove your last name. I had to go back because I didn't take it with me the first time so they would only issue my license in my maiden name. Argh!!! Plus I had to pay another fee to change my name on the license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County